Thursday 28 June 2012

WHW Day 5 - Kinlochleven to Fort William 7 June 2012

WHW with Bourne Coffee Company - Day 5
Blackwater Campsite Kinlochleven to Glen Nevis Campsite Fort William
Distance 22.5km Climb 475m
Thursday 7th June 2012


Here we were at the last day, not far now. We packed our things at the Blackwater Hostel and Campsite before heading to a leisurely breakfast sandwich at one of the pubs before we set off walking.  Spirits were high and the sun was shinning.

Susan at Kinlochleven
Eventually we decided to set off

David and Anne at the sign as you leave Kinlochlevin

Following the signs we soon came to the track that takes you up the hill through the woods out of Kinlochleven.  Once you clear the trees you have stunning views back to the town and looking at the hills we walked through the day before.

David and Anne coming through the trees.

Anne coming up the hill with Kinlochleven in the distance


David at the top of the gap.  The only photo David is not wearing his fleece

Anne nearly there

Anne and Me with Kinlochleven behind

Once on the top the path levels off a little.  Surprisingly we started moving a lot faster. Even so as I said earlier we were no longer walking together and I was no longer looking after them. The route was very well marked.  I would set off at my own pace, then stop, wait till Anne and David passed me. Sometime David would be first other times it would be Anne, depending on how they were walking. Once passed I would wait awhile then set off again and do it further down the track. As with David and Anne I found things a lot easier walking my own pace.

David approaching Tigh na sleubhalch


David and Anne at Tigh na sleubhalch

Anne passing Lairigmor


For those who cannot read this sign it says if you are a supporter of the MacDonalds you put a stone on the cairn, if a supporter of the Campbells you take a stone away.

As we approached the sign marking the half way we saw the charity walkers van.  They had stopped for a rest and some water.  As we read the sign we saw the walkers set off, they were pleased they were nearly finished with only six miles to go.  One of the walkers looked so pleased until I pointed out on the sign it said seven miles, you should have seen his face drop.  When we spoke to the guide he said they were going to finish at the original end, which was a mile closer.  They had left Kinlochleven a good hour ahead of us, the guide said he could run the distance that was left in half an hour.  Unfortunately for him he had to stay with his group.

Anne with the view of Ben Nevis in the background

Not that far from this point, I tried to get Anne and David to walk together, I had told them to watch out for a special place, the dingly dell. I said they would know where it was when they reached it.  How could they miss, such a beautiful spot.

David and Anne in the dingly dell, fantastic

Me and Anne, in the dingly dell, how brilliant
Last time I was here it was full of trees


Anne, finally on the forest track

Anne waving and David not far behind, soon be over


Anne and David at the original end.

Me and Anne
Once we saw the sign that we could collect a free certificate from the Edinburgh Woollen Mill, we went in for a quick drink and ice cream for David, we collected our certificates.  The lad behind the counter asked how many and his colleague said if there was not enough there were extras out the back.  As he was dressed in a kilt I asked if he would come to the other end of the town and present us with them so it would look official.  When I said the other end I meant the new finish at the other end of the high street.  David and Anne said he may have thought I meant the other end of The Way at Milngavie, because he was very reluctant.

As we left the Edinburgh Woollen Mill it started to rain.  We have found over the years that it is very rare for it not to rain in Fort William.  Anyway down the High Street we went to the new finish.  Even as slow as they were walking it was the fastest I have walked down Fort William's High Street as we were passing the shops. Normally Anne would stop to look at the shops but not today.  I asked Anne if she wanted a look in some of the shops, "No" was the reply.
"Do you want to look in Fat Face?" I know Anne enjoys a walk into Fat Face.
"No!"
"What about the Granite Shop?"  I know Anne could spend a long time looking in the Granite Shop.
"No!! Lets just get this finished."
As I say the fastest I have ever walked down Fort William's High Street with Anne.

Anyway Susan was standing at the end and once we had crossed the line she presented us with a I've walked the West Highland Way medal keyring.  Very proud, once the photos were taken we made arrangement to get to the Glen Nevis Campsite, I had stayed here a couple of nights in 2009 when I had completed the West Highland Way and Ben Nevis. Again in 2011 for the start of my Cape Wrath Trail. I knew the facilities were perfect for what we needed.

Me, Anne, Gordon and David at the end
More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The West Highland Way or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to previous - Day 4 Bridge of Orchy to Kinlochleven
Follow link to previous time I walked this route - WHW Day 6 Kinlochleven to Fort William
Follow link to a walk which started in Fort William my Cape Wrath Trail
The Bourne Coffee Company previously Caer Urfa Coffee.



No comments:

Post a Comment