Friday 15 June 2012

The Pennine Way Day 4 - Grid SD 967 334 to Gargrave 28 March 2011

The Pennine Way Day 4
Grid SD 967 334 to Gargrave
Distance 32km
Monday 28th March 2011


Top Withens is part of a walk at number 69 on ITV's Britain's Favourite Walks in January 2018.

When I woke my tent was covered in frost, strange, if I had pitched it on the other side of the wall about 2m lower there would have been no frost.  Never mind, the view was beautiful.



I had another early start and was making good time despite being tired and having sore feet.  I took the path back down to the reservoir turned right and walked along the side of the reservoir watching the flocks of geese, brilliant.  The sky was clear and a pale moon was still in the sky although it was daylight as I headed North East towards Withins Height, across a frost covered moorland.  I stopped for a quick breakfast at the Withins ruin, where there is a sign on the wall saying it has nothing to do with Wuthering Heights.  It was a popular place as a couple of other walkers and cyclist were sitting there enjoying the view.





The sky was clear and bright as I moved North East towards Haworth.  Before reaching Haworth the route turns North towards Pondon Reservoir.  It was getting warm so I stopped to take off my coat and tracksuit bottoms.  In my preparation I had contacted Mrs T at Ponden and asked about stopping and having a meal at her B&B.  However I was now two days ahead of my plan so when I knocked on her door she had only just returned from having a break herself so she had nothing in other than a little muesli and yoghurt.  That would not be enough so I thanked her and moved on.



Following the track round Pondon Reservoir there was a sharp steep climb across a few fields onto another road turn left then just past an open quarry turn right back onto open moorland.   The next place I had planned to stop was Cowling but I could not find the pub.  I however did find Cafe 106.9FM the food was very good and the people very friendly.  However I needed more.

Leaving Cowling, The Way still moves North across fields to Lothersdale perhaps the pub here will be open.

I sat outside the closed Hare and Hounds at Lothersdale and had a drink of water.  No time to sit and wait as it was closed I thought I had better move on.  The Way heads North for about 1km before heading North Westerly over open moorland.  The weather was clear, good, warm and everything was fresh but I was hungry.





After crossing the A56 The Way turns North and crosses more open land before dropping down to the Liverpool Canal.  I followed the canal North to an interesting looking bridge, I was in real need for food by the time I arrived at The Cross Keys at East Martin.  What a welcome relief, the food was good and I spent a little time relaxing with a newspaper and a pint of shandy.


Bridge at East Martin
When I started again I felt so much better, I walked past a number of stables and I saw something I have never seen in my life before.  It was like a something from the past where horses walked around in a circle grinding corn, only this was a horse exerciser.  Anyway The Way now heads North East across open fields and the sun was going down as I hit the road into Gargrave.  It took me a little while to find the campsite and it was late.  I pitched my tent and climbed straight into my sleeping bag and went straight asleep.

Throughout the day I had noticed that a lot of people looked at me in a strange way unless it was when I was on a narrow road when I would stand to the side in a ditch and they would just drive pass as if I was not there.  Well some did.

I had been walking approx. 12 hours and covered 32km. Another good days walking.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The Pennine Way or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to previous - Day 3 Great Western PH to Grid SD 967 334
Follow link to next - Day 5 Gargrave to Grid SD 853 722


No comments:

Post a Comment