Monday 18 June 2012

The Pennine Way Day 10 - Dufton to Alston 3 April 2011.

The Pennine Way - Day 10
Dufton to Alston
Distance 32km Climb 1040m
Sunday 3rd April 2011


During the night I saw a sign in the toilet block on the campsite it said breakfast was available in the Dufton Youth Hostel.  What a good idea, that was where I would go first thing in the morning.

In the morning after such a long day yesterday I was not in a hurry to pack up and set off.  I very soon found out I should have been.  I passed the giants golf tee as I turned up the path to the Dufton Youth Hostel.  Only to find breakfast was over.  I said to the lad there, his sign should show the timings, he did say that he had new signs but he had not put them up yet and they would show the opening times, so I probably was not the only one who had missed out.  The place was full of walkers, moving boots and bags to their cars.  As I could not get any breakfast I ordered sandwiches and took a couple of them with me.  Not enough sustenance but it was all I could get.  I had a few rations but I was keeping these for later for a time when I knew I would need them.

Dufton, see the giant golf tee
Leaving Dufton I was in pain almost from the start, now it was my right shin.  I don't like to take pain killers as I think you need the pain to let you know you could damage muscle, bone or tissue.  I was passed that now, so I took a couple of paracetamol.

I took the road from Dufton, today was another day I had been looking forward to.  Today I would be going over Cross Fell, I had always liked walking up and down Cross Fell.  This was going to be the first time I had walked up Cross Fell from the South side.  I normally walk up and down Cross Fell from the North, through Garigill.

The Way heads North before turning North East, it was hard going.  The climb up Green Fell was steady. 

Snow on the fells
I passed the Knock Old Man, headed up to the height before turning North West across Knock Fell.  

Knock Old Man
What a fantastic view, I could see Great Dun Fell and Cross Fell with a little mist on its top.  As I dropped down and started moving up to Great Dun Fell mist started coming down and covering it.

The height at Knock Old Man looking across at Great Dun Fell and Cross Fell
I could only see a few meters in front.  As I arrived at the top it cleared a little then I was in the middle of a harsh fall of hail stone. 

Great Dun Fell appearing in the mist
Moving down a little it cleared and I could see the track up Little Dun Fell and then to Cross Fell. 

Mist covered Little Dun Fell
Little Dun Fell with Cross Fell in the distance

It was great reaching Cross Fell, I stopped for a break and remembered the times I had been here and saw other people who were doing the Pennine Way.  The skies had cleared and the views were brilliant.  
Cross Fell Spot Height
I stopped again at Gregs Hut and had a long rest.  Enjoying a packed of noodles.  

Greg's Hut
I followed the familiar track to Garigill, I felt good and I made good time.  


I found the George and Dragon closed.  

Garigill
Continuing on The Way I followed the stream in a North Easterly direction before crossing over, then after about 2 km The Way turned North.  


I passed the Alston Youth Hostel just as it was turning dark and thought about stopping here.  I decided to move on and stopped at the first pub where I ordered a long waited for meal, with a starter.  After a lovely meal and a couple of drinks I started looking for somewhere to put my tent.  

It only took me a few minutes to pitch my tent.  Tuck myself up in my sleeping bag and sleep.  Although it had been another long, hard day.  I was still there.  I had been walking approx 11 hrs and covered 32 km with approx 1040m climb.      

More to follow

Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The Pennine Way or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to previous - Day 9 Middleton-in-Teesdale to Dufton
Follow link to next - Day 11 Alston to Greenhead
Follow the link to when I walked Cross Fell in preparation of doing The Cape Wrath Trail, check out the snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment