Sunday 24 June 2012

WHW Day 1 - Milngavie to Balmaha 3 June 2012

WHW with Bourne Coffee Company - Day 1
Milngavie to Balmaha
Distance 34.5km
Sunday 3rd June 2012


We left home in the two cars, fortunately I had had my car fixed on the Saturday so that had taken a little of the pressure off.  This also gave us some flexibility should we need it.

The drive to Milngavie was mainly uneventful apart from a little confusion on the directions.  I had printed off a couple of google maps and had a sat nav.  As we approached Glasgow the sat nav took us off at a different turning to the google maps, and we found ourselves driving down a road not on the sat nav.  I blindly followed the voice on the sat nav and David followed the google map.  We arrived across the road from the police station.  Following a few phone calls and walking up and down the road, I eventually directed David to the police station.

On my previous walk on The Way I had done a lot of research and found I could leave my car opposite the police station.  At that time when I rang to confirm this I was told I would need to inform the police.  When I called into the station the officer on the desk did not want to know.  So this time we just parked up my car, moved the equipment we would need to Susan's car and we walked off, with Susan driving to the town centre for the start of the West Highland Way.

Originally I thought we could have stayed at the campsite and starting the walk on the Monday however as it was early we decided to start walking today.  But first, as we had not had anything to eat we thought it would be best to have a quick meal in one of the cafes in Milngavie before setting off.

David, Anne and me at the start, see the smiley faces. 
It was a little overcast but not by much when we started and there was a small threat of rain.  Even so it was still warm, lovely weather to walk in.  We followed the signs and set off, I knew from experience that the route is very easy to follow.

We hadn't been walking long before we were taking off our coats.  Well some of us, David was to keep his fleece on all the time.

Welcome break Anne and David
Just past Craigallan Loch we came across a table which had teas/coffees and cakes.  With the funds going to the Alzheimer's Society, so we had a quick stop had a quick cup of tea and left some money for the charity.

We passed a number of other walkers coming the other way, one said not far now only 92 miles to go.  For a moment we thought it would have been funny if we walked to the next car to his in the lay-by near Easter Carbeth, but no he was right we did have about 92 miles to go.

The route of The Way is really well signposted and I noticed a lot of the styles had been replaced since my last walk here.  It was also a lot more pleasant as today the weather was dry, light and on the whole warm and bright.  The last time I was here it was cold, wet and dark, totally different.

Arriving at Dumgoyne, it was open but we decided to just have a quick drink of water and moved on.  We were walking at a steady pace and covering the distance.  There were a number of people we saw doing The Way.  At Gartness was an honesty box near the fridge and just as we started on the climb up we were joined by a lad who said he had travelled up from the south.  He had spent over 10 hours on the bus to Glasgow, where he had waited for Argos to open so that he could buy his kit.  He had new boots and lots of kit, he was walking very fast up the hill but had to stop frequently, hope he made it.  He told us he was returning to Fort William, he had lived there a few years ago, and he did not care how long it was going to take him to get there.

We met up with Susan as we started walking down the hill just before The Way crosses a field to cross the A811 east of Drymen.  Susan had parked the car here and it was here that we decided that we would still have time to reach Balmaha before it got dark.  The only thing to decide now was where were we going to camp, Susan had heard that all the campsites around Balmaha were full and we would have problems finding a site.  I knew there were two campsites up the road, at Milarrochy Bay and Cashell Farm.  David thought there was a wild campsite near Rowardennan so as we walked off, Susan went to find a place for us to camp.

Anne and me in a felled part of the Garadhban Forest with Loch Lomond in the distance
The Way leads through the Garadhban Forest, I was surprised to see how much had been felled.  Due to all the open spaces we could see Loch Lomond a lot earlier than on my previous walk.  The views were stunning.

Conic Hill had been on the horizon for some time and was something to look forward to.  The pace had slowed a little as tiredness was setting in as we moved through the day.  Conic Hill had taken a lot of effort but the views across Loch Lomond from The Way near the top to me had been worth the climb.

Anne on the path down Conic Hill

David on the path down Conic Hill
Coming off Conic Hill we arrived at the Information Centre at Balmaha and no sooner did we reach the carpark when the midges struck.  I had noticed a few on the path down but as we were moving they were no problem.  It was only as we arrived in the car park they became a pest.  Fortunately Susan was there and had us booked on the site at Milarrochy Bay with no bother.  We had noticed Susan did not get out the car when we arrived.

We decided that Anne and Susan would go to the Oak Tree Inn, while David and I went off and became a meal for the midges as we put up the tent.  I was almost screaming, scratching and slapping myself to death, with my hat rammed as far over my head and face as I could.

Anne, Susan and David at the side of Loch Lomond at Milarrochy Bay campsite

David cooling his feet in Loch Lomond
We had walked approx 34.5km.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The West Highland Way or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to next - Day 2 WHW Balmaha to Beinglas Farm
Follow link to previous time I walked this route - WHW Day 1 Milngavie to Cashell Farm
The Bourne Coffee Company previously Caer Urfa Coffee.




No comments:

Post a Comment