Monday 18 June 2012

The Pennine Way Day 15 - Hen Hole Mountain Refuge Hut to Kirk Yetholm 8 April 2011.

The Pennine Way Day 15
Hen Hole Mountain Refuge Hut to Kirk Yetholm
Distance 13km
Friday 8th April 2011


I woke up to another beautiful day.  I finished my snacks and had some hot chocolate, that was it, all of my food was all gone now.  Not far to walk today, but I still felt drained.  I packed my kit and set off.

Leaving the Mountain Rescue Hut, moving North, the ground dropped before rising again.  It then rises again to cross The Schil.  The next rise Black Hag, I was now moving North Westerly.


Hen Hole


The views just like yesterday were stunning, I did not have far to go.  I passed two walkers who said they were always in the area.  They told me about a couple of older gents they had seen a few days earlier, they were walking from Lands End to John O’Groats.  Something to think about, possibly when I retire when I will have the time to do it.  The walk was going to take them about three months, good for them.   

Not far now


I finished at 12.30 just in time for a bus, but rather than get on the bus I went to the Border Inn for a meal and took a later bus.  After my meal I felt a little bit better.  I had been told on an earlier day on my walk that Arthur Wainwright had left some money behind the bar for anyone completing The Way to have a pint.  The thing was now that instead of a pint I could have a half.  They also printed off a certificate.  At the bar there was a well dressed local man.  When he heard I was getting a free drink he also said he had walked the Pennine Way.  I looked a mess and was smelly, he was clean and tidy and the barmaid knew him and did not believe him.  So he didn't get a free drink.  


The END
Walking  4 hours 13 km. THE END of my Pennine Way adventure.

More to follow.


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The Pennine Way or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

No comments:

Post a Comment