Monday 18 June 2012

The Pennine Way Day 14 - Byrnes to Hen Hole Mountain Refuge Hut 7 April 2011.

The Pennine Way - Day 14
Byrnes to Hen Hole Mountain Refuge Hut
Distance 29km Climb 960m
Thursday 7th April 2011


This was a good day, possibly the best yet.  Whether this was because I had previously walked many of these paths before or not I am not sure.  I was among some old friends and made some new.  I certainly felt I was on home ground.

It was sunshine all the way throughout the day, although there was a very cold wind.

When I spoke to the man at the campsite he confirmed the garage cafe shut a long time ago, so it looked like no breakfast.  I only had a few rations left and planned to keep them for my evening meal.

I left the campsite and walked North West back towards the Byrness Hotel.  When you left the campsite by the bridge you passed a field that had a few alpacas in it.  

Lovely little alpaca
The Way crosses the road and moves behind the hotel.  A sharp turn North East and a steep climb through the wood, a couple of hundred meters in the open before reaching Byrness Hill.  

A little lizard on Byrness Hill
The view West from Byrness Hill
After a short rest enjoying the view I headed North, passing Ravens Knowe.  The Way now borders the Army’s Danger Area.  



Turning right, East towards the Roman Camps.  A sharp turn North East took me onto the route of a Roman Road called The Street.  I had always liked it in this area but it had been a number of years since I had last been here.  What a beautiful clear day.


Walking North again for about 3 km then turning North East towards Lamb Hill at 511m, Beefstand Hill 562m, Mozie Law 552m.  Before heading East to Windy Gyle at 610m.

Lamb Hill
Wild goats
Look at that view
Windy Gyle 610m

Spot height 531m near King Seat Cairn
At 1700hrs I could see what we had called Smacky Bottom Hill, many years ago when my children came out with us walking, we had a little scene on this hill, hence the name Smacky Bottom Hill.   It was really Hedgehope Hill

Near the track junction where you can move up to the Cheviot the path is on a board walk.  I was so grateful for the board and stone parts of The Way, not only do they help with navigation they also help maintain a good pace.  I could only imagine how difficult it would have been without the boards, walking in the soft wet peat.  When I was planning to do The Way I had originally thought about including The Cheviot, however at the time of day I arrived at the junction and by now I was feeling very fatigued as well as the almost had constant pain in my legs and shoulders, I decided to head directly to the Mountain Rescue Hut at the Hen Hole.



I set myself up in the hut and had the last of my food, I had a little snack left with some hot chocolate powder that I would keep for breakfast.  If I had stayed with the days I had arranged to stop at places I wonder if I would have felt so drained or had I pushed myself to far.  It didn't help that places I had expected to stop for food were closed.

Mountain Rescue Hut - Hen Hole 
I would get up and look outside a few times through the night.  The views were fantastic, with the night sky colours.


I would be finished tomorrow.  I felt sad it was going to be over.  I also felt glad it was going to be over.  I don’t know why I put myself through this.

I had been walking just under 10 hours and had covered 29km with approx 960m of climb.

More to follow.


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The Pennine Way or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

No comments:

Post a Comment