Sunday 17 June 2012

The Pennine Way Day 8 - Tan Hill Inn to Middleton in Teesdale 1 April 2011.

The Pennine Way - Day 8
Tan Hill Inn to Middleton-in-Teesdale
Distance 25km
Friday 1st April 2011


When I woke, Tracy had my clothes clean and dry, no smell.  I went down for breakfast and had a really big breakfast.  Although some people would find Tracy's manner quite abrasive I thought that she was funny and very helpful.    

The guests where also down for breakfast.  It appeared they were only visiting the area to see the pubs that were different and the Tan Hill Inn was just that.  Breakfast was good and welcome, it would be a long day.  It was very wet and raining when I started and it did not look as though it was going to stop.  Walking about 100m on the road I turned North East to re-join the Way.  

Bye bye Tan Hill Inn
Crossing a style The Way continues North East alongside a number of streams.   Parts of the track on the Way were very wet and boggy.  The Way then crossed a very fast flowing stream that was now a river due to all the rain.  There was one log across and broken bits of log on the far bank, I guessed at some time it may have been a foot bridge.  It was now damaged.  I did think about trying to balance my way across, but with the weight of the bag, the wind and the slippery looking log I made the decision to wade across the river at the ford instead.


Bridge and pieces
The crossing was not too bad but I did get my feet wet.  After a short stop to change my socks I moved on, my feet were suffering now. 

In the distance I could see a couple of walkers. With dry socks I now continued alongside Sleightholme Beck.  It was just past Sleightholme Farm I caught up with one of the walkers.  It turned out they were not a couple but had only just met up walking this stretch of The Way.  The other walker had turned off towards Bowes where apparently they had planned to stop.  The person I had caught up with was walking the same as me that day to Middleton-in-Teesdale.

It was strange walking with someone.  It turned out that she had walked part of the Pennine Way last year and had returned to complete it this year.  

At Trough Heads The Way now turns North with a sharp left the right turn and leads down to a bridge called God’s Bridge.  This as the book says, is a huge slab of limestone with a river flowing beneath it.  The rain had eased a little before eventually stopping, for a time. 

God's Bridge
Turning right alongside the A66 the Way now takes you under the A66 before turning left again.  I had driven along the A66 a number of times and did not know the Pennine Way crossed here.  Once passed the A66 The Way starts to climb and gently leans towards the North West. Taking you eventually to Blackton Reservoir.  


From Blackton Reservoir you head North to Grassholme Reservoir.  After a couple of km The Way turns North East to Middleton-in-Teesdale.  At Middleton-in-Teesdale I pitched my tent at the Dale View Caravan Park.  After sorting myself out I went and had a meal at one of the hotels.

Returning to the campsite I called into the camp bar for a couple of shandies before going to bed.  It was full of people who I guessed came to the campsite every weekend.  They all had their own places to sit, and everyone knew each other and what numbers they wanted on the bonus ball.  Anyway after my shandies I went off to bed.

I had walked for about 8 ½ hours and covered approx. 25 km.

More to follow.


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The Pennine Way or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to previous - Day 7 Hawes to Tan Hill Inn
Follow link to next - Day 9 Middleton-in-Teesdale to Dufton


No comments:

Post a Comment