Sunday 24 June 2012

WHW Day 2 - Balmaha to Beinglas Farm 4 June 2012

West Highland Way with Bourne Coffee Company - Day 2
Balmaha to Beinglas Farm
Distance 34.5km
Monday 4th June 2012


Before leaving Milarrochy Bay we packed our kit, had a walk round the campsite and took a few photos.  Susan would drop us back at the carpark at Balmaha in order that we would not miss any of the walking.  Susan would drive back to the campsite with the idea being, on the way past Milarrochy Bay we would stop and pack up the car.

David, Anne and Susan Milarrochy Bay, looking across Loch Lomond


Leaving Balmaha the weather was warm, clear and looked like it was going to be a good day.  Susan drove back to the campsite and waited for us to walk along the loch.

David and Anne Loch Lomond

Me and Anne
It did not take us long to walk back to the campsite.  After packing the car Susan headed off and we carried on up The Way following the twists and turns until we met Susan again at Rowardennan.  This was a part of The Way where it appears to me that The Way twists away from a direct route.  Anyway Rowardennan was where we had lunch at the pub.

David and Anne at Rowardennan
After lunch we set off again and headed up the Loch side.  We passed Tom Wheldon's seat and saw a number of people walking.


Anne and David, footbridge near the Inversnaid Hotel
We called into the Inversnaid Hotel for a coffee and scone.  I found out the last time I was here that walkers have to use the door at the back, so that was the way we used.  However it looked as though it did not matter today as people were wandering about all over.  Over coffee we saw many of the walkers we had seen at Rowardennan and previously on The Way.

David and Anne in Inversnaid Hotel

Anne and Me outside the Inversnaid Hotel

Anne outside the Inversnaid Hotel

David and Anne
Not far from the Inversnaid Hotel after climbing up and down over some rocks we saw the sign for Rob Roy's Cave.  Leaving Anne, David and I went to have a closer look. We were too high and could not work out how to get down to the cave.  Last time I was here I was too low, time was moving on so we decided just to leave it and carry on The Way.  Returning to where we had left Anne we found she was not there.  So we moved on and passed a couple doing The Way with big bags from Liverpool.

It was now I started getting doubts, had Anne moved off the track or moved on?  We had covered a fair distance and thought I had better go back.  We agreed that David would walk on and I would go back.  After passing the Liverpool lads again I went back to the sign for Rob Roy's Cave, no sign of Anne.  I turned around again and started running back.  In no time I passed the two Liverpool lads again for the third time.  I soon caught up to David but still no sign of Anne.  Where was she?  We moved on a bit further.

I still had doubts that she was ahead and some how or other I had left her behind.  So we had phone numbers and agreed David would move on and I would head back.  The Liverpool lads had not seen Anne nor had other walkers I passed on the way back.  Then I got a call, David could hear Anne shouting ahead of him, she must have been moving at some pace, a lot faster on her own than she did with me.

This time when I passed the Liverpool lads they made some comment on how easy it must be without a big bag.  I told them to take care and ran on.  It was later as the track became difficult I saw the wild goats.

Wild Goats
I caught up with Anne and David a Doune where there was a bothy.  I had to look in, the last time I was here it was raining and I tried to get in, to get out of the rain.  I was sure there were people inside who held it closed, I was even now more convinced that this had happened as the door opened easy enough.

Moving on passed the top of the loch we saw people camping in the wood line.  Not to worry it would not be long and we would arrive at the campsite.  There was a little more up and down before we reached Beinglas Farm.  We saw more wild goats, they did not seam to be afraid of us as we passed fairly close.

As we approached the campsite the midges started again.  Susan was in the carpark waiting.  The midges were agonisingly irritating as we pitched the tent as quick as we could and we retreated into the campsite bar to escape them.

We had made up the distance, approx 34.5km, and were where I had planned for day two.  A very good days walking and good effort.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The West Highland Way or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to previous - Day 1 WHW Milngavie to Balmaha
Follow link to next - Day 3 Beinglas Farm to Bridge of Orchy
Follow links to previous time I walked this route - WHW Day 1 Milngavie to Cashell Farm and WHW Day 2 Cashell Farm to Inversnaid
The Bourne Coffee Company previously Caer Urfa Coffee.


No comments:

Post a Comment