Friday 22 May 2020

RWV Thuiswedstrijd Snelwandelen - Local Area 21 May 2020

RWV Thuiswedstrijd Snelwandelen
Local Area
Distance 5.27km Climb 26m
Thursday 21 May 2020


Should I, shouldn't I, write this up on my blog. As I haven't been able to post anything recently I think I will. It will also be a reminder for me what is currently happening during the Covid 19 Pandemic.

I had met Frans at The Garelochhead March last year and it was good to meet him again and his wife Veronica at The Nijmegen 4 Day Marches later in the year. A few weeks ago Veronica sent me a link to an event in June, ran by Rotterdamse Wandelsport Vereniging RWV. It was good to hear from them.

I have been maintaining the lockdown, social distancing, only going out to work and walking on short local walks. This was an opportunity to do something different. At Garelochhead Frans had mentioned he was a racewalker and while checking out the RWV website I saw this event. Which was a racewalk. Where participants would choice a distance, 1km, 3km or 5km to do in there local area, maintaining the current social distancing rules. Everyone would start at the same time and there were people from all over The World who had signed in to the event. So I thought "why not" I would give it a go.

I already had a roughly measured 5km route near my home and so at the allotted start time I set off. As I was walking as fast as I could many of the photos have come out a little blurred.


























 
I had never taken part in a racewalk before and did enjoy the challenge of it. When I sent in my time and distance I was a little over the 5km mark. The RWV adjusted peoples time to the 5km, so everyone would have the same measured distance for the result. I will not tell you mine only that I enjoyed the event.

I walked my normal way of walking just trying to do it as fast as I could. When I looked on the RWV Facebook page, I saw how a number of the regular racewalkers walked. It looks more effective than the way I walk, but I am not sure how that style of walking would go down on my local streets. I am looking forward to their next event in June. Check out Decurion on the Rotterdamse Wandelsport Vereniging RWV website if you are interested.

More to follow (Hopefully)


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Tyne and Wear or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.






   ,




No comments:

Post a Comment