Sunday 14 June 2020

RWV Continental Decurion Wandeling - Local Area 13 June 2020

RWV Continental Decurion Wandeling
Local Area
Distance 17.34km Climb 72m
Saturday 13 June 2020


I have been maintaining the lockdown, social distancing, only going out to work and walking on short local walks. So a few weeks ago when Veronica sent me a link to this event I thought this was an opportunity to do something different. The event was organised by Rotterdamse Wandelsport Vereniging RWV. They also organised a race walk which I took part in a few weeks ago around my local area. Today was their Continental Decurion Wandeling 10 mile event and could either be hiked or race walked today or tomorrow the 14th. 

As I was busy today I could not decide whether to do the walk today or tomorrow. In the end after some toing and froing I finally decided to get my walk in early today. I set my alarm and when I was awake, I sorted myself out and set out. Along the local route I had measured out for this event. It was a little over the 10 miles but it would get my distance in.

It was very misty and drizzling when I set off and I passed a hedgehog on my way up the road. Unfortunately I blurred the photos. I was on the B1516 York Avenue where I had walked on my Jarrow to Penshaw Monument walk, it was also part of my race walk..


At the top of the street I turned right onto the A194, Leam Lane. Many may recognise this as part of the Great North Run route. After 1km I continued on the A194 leaving my race walk which turned across the fields to my left.



Reaching the White Mare Pool Roundabout I turned right onto the A184. Again another part of the Great North Run.


The next turning right is the A195, Sunderland Road. Just passed some bungalows the Bowes Railway Path runs down to the right, which was my route today. I was heading back towards Jarrow. I have walked the Bowes Railway Path a few times. This link takes you on my walk from Jarrow to Causey Arch.  

A couple of ducks flew overhead and wood pigeons pecked on the path. 


You can see how wet the path is. After a couple of km the Bowes Railway Path crosses the Metro Line.


A little further on and I rejoined the route of my race walk.


Passed this bridge my route turns left onto Monkton Lane heading into Monkton Village.


Monkton Lane turns right, passing the Lord Nelson a local watering hole. Just passed the closed Lord Nelson I took the footpath left, leaving my race walk.


This leads onto what the locals call the Crusher. I turned right and followed the edge of the open area.



Then a left turn continuing around the edge of the Crusher, this joins a path that is another old railway line that leads down towards the River, and the route I was now on. I also crossed a part of my South Tyneside Heritage Trail. 

This old railway line crosses the A185, I remember when I was younger standing here waiting for trains to pass at the level crossing that used to be here.

Continuing down the old line I passed under a bridge that passed under another part of the Metro Line. 


After the bridge the old railway line joins Potter Street. Approx 100m further on I turned right onto the B1297 Blackett Street. I was now on my The Tyne Round also another part of the South Tyneside Heritage Trail.


At the top of Blackett Street at the mini roundabout my route turns left continuing on the B1297.


The B1297 turns to the right. After a few more hundred meters there is another mini roundabout. Near one of the funnels for the Tyne Tunnel.


I turned left following the green fence down towards The Tyne Pedestrian Tunnel.


This notice is part of the South Tyneside Heritage Trail. Passing the notice I walked back to my left.


Down the narrow cobbled path passing the Tyne Pedestrian Tunnel, which was where I left my Tyne Round and dropped down to the River.


Looking across the River Tyne I could see the North side of the Tyne Pedestrian Tunnel and the new road tunnel. The tide was in.


Turning right you can see the mist covering the top of the very large pylons that span the River.


At the end of the walkway a path leads up, a gentle climb, between a concrete works and waterworks, back to the B1297 where I turned left.


After a 100m I followed the path left, ignoring the cul-de-sac sign. With the concrete works on my left and an oil depot on my right. After the oil depot there is Bede's World. In the past you could see Bede's Cross along here but these days it is hidden behind a number of tall trees and bushes. The path heads down hill, usually along here you can see across to South Shields Town Hall but not today because of the rain and mist. At the bottom of the bank I turned slightly right and crossed Slake Road dropping down onto a narrow track. 

This follows by the side of the River Don. Over the last few weeks I have noticed a large number of swans gather along the sides of the Don, today there was only a few, how graceful they move. 

I remember years ago I used to run along here and used to see grey herons sitting in the electricity pylons. Foxes running along the road but not today. Following the track after a few twists and turns it turns back up onto Slake Road.

Slake Road turns sharp right onto Church Bank, I continued straight ahead between some boulders onto Don Road. Following the road as it turns right I reached Jarrow Bridge, on my left. Unfortunately it no longer leads anywhere. 


On my right is St Pauls Church. 


Following the narrow footpath by the River Don looking right over the wall you can see the remains of St Bede's Monastery next to St Paul's Church. This was where I started my walk along Bede's Way.


At the top of the footpath there are a few steps, up onto the road. 


Turning left this leads to the more modern road bridge that crosses the River Don.


I was now back on the South Tyneside Heritage Trail. Continuing passed the wood yard then down onto Straker Street the A185, where I turned left heading towards South Shields.

Straker Street becomes Swinburne Street, then Swinburne Street becomes Jarrow Road and another sign showing the South Tyneside Heritage Trail. 


After a few more hundred meters I passed one of the entrances to the Port of Tyne.


The road bends and twists slightly. Just passed a petrol station I turned right and crossed at the lights to walk up Hobson Way, leaving the South Tyneside Heritage Trail.


At the top of the gentle climb I was back on the A194, the Newcastle Road. A lot further east, down the road from where I started. I would be on this road for the next few km. 

At the top of this bank the road passes over another part of the Metro Line.


Just passed the supermarket I dropped down off the main road onto the pedestrian footpath.


I reached the part of the A194, now called Leam Lane, used by the Great North Run. Somewhere along here the rain eased but I did not notice.

My route was along Hadrian Road the pedestrian route along the A194.


I took the steps back onto the A194 and followed the footpath under the A19 at the Lindisfarne Roundabout.


Then a short rise back onto another part of Hadrian Road. As Hadrian Road ends a footpath follows by the B1516 a slip road onto the A194. Then becomes Roman Road.


At the bottom of the bank the path crosses Bede's Way and another part of the River Don. Then starts to climb.

At the top I continued along Roman Road.


Where Roman Road turns to the left I continued along Brancepeth Terrace up to the junction of the B1516 York Avenue, where I had walked at the start of my walk. I turned right and headed towards my finish.


The hedgehog had long gone and it was only now within the last 500m I realised that it had stopped raining earlier, as it now started to rain again and it was getting heavier. Not to worry nearly home now.

I had started just after 05.20 and covered 17.34km with a 72m climb, so I was over my 10 miler. I hadn't signed up for the race but I set out to walk it as fast as I could. With a few stops for photos I did not think I did too bad. Looking forward to the next walking race. 

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Tyne and Wear or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

My last RWV Event Local race walk 21 May 2020.







No comments:

Post a Comment