Tuesday 17 March 2020

Great Ayton to Highcliff Nab via Roseberry Topping return via Captain Cook's Monument - North Yorkshire 10 March 2020

Great Ayton to Highcliff Nab via Roseberry Topping return via Captain Cook's Monument
North Yorkshire
Distance 17km Climb 1160m?
Tuesday 10 March 2020


I was looking for a walk where I could take my friends in a few weeks time and I remember a walk another friend Dylan had told me about. He had walked to Roseberry Topping from Great Ayton a few weeks ago and I was interested in the area so took the opportunity today to have a look around.

I parked my car in the free carpark on the High Street across the road from the Post Office. A group of four other walkers arrived shortly after, they were also going to have a walk up Roseberry Topping. Leaving the carpark I turned right, then left and headed north along Newton Road.


After a few hundred meters at a mini roundabout I turned right onto Roseberry Crescent. Then a left onto Wheatlands followed after a few hundred meters a turn right onto Roseberry Drive. I could see Roseberry Topping over the tops of the houses at the end of the street. At the end of the street I was back on another part of Roseberry Cresent, where a few meters down to the left there is a footpath sign.


Walking between the houses the footpath turns left and crosses an open field. A kissing gate and I was on a narrow track, the only way to go was left, the path followed by the railway line. Tree roots were pushing through the earth path in places. Snowdrops were growing in little clumps by the path. At the top I followed the path right over the railway bridge.


I was walking east, after a few hundred meters there was a new wooden gate on my left. Walking through the gate I was walking through Newton Wood. The path rose and fell, up and down through the wood. It was not long before I saw Roseberry Topping rising through the trees.


After approx a kilometre I reached where the path crossed a bridleway and took the narrow footpath straight ahead between the trees.


After a few hundred meters I reached a park bench and a wide track crossed my path. Looking right I could see the steps reaching up the side of Roseberry Topping.


I walked up the steps to where a stone path crosses right to left.


I then made the decision to cross the style and scrambled up the steep slippery slope, clinging to grass and tree branches. There are better ways up Roseberry Topping, it would have been better and quicker just to follow the stone path. I had an old pair of boots on and there was little grip.

As I cleared the trees I could feel the full force of the wind as I pushed my way up the narrow path.


I reached the westward side of Roseberry Topping and followed the path between the rocks. There was no shelter from the wind and it seamed to come from every direction.


Reaching the top there were a number of people enjoying the views, including my new friends I had met in the carpark. Last year they had completed the Camino de Santiago and told me some tales from their walk. Very interesting people.

Looking southwards I could see Captain Cook's Monument.


My new friends took the path down to the right. After a few photos I followed but took the narrow less walked on path down to the left, looking for a little shelter from the wind.


I was now walking east along the Cleveland Way. The Way drops down from Roseberry Topping onto Roseberry Common. My new friends were well ahead of me.


The Way climbs up a little to Alison Brown's Seat set beside a wall. Through a gate and the paths split. A sign with the Acorn directs The Cleveland Way back towards Roseberry Topping, right towards the south and east the direction I was headed, across Newton Moor.


Crossing the Moor it was very cold but the sky was clear and there were views across to the sea. After a few hundred meters the Way drops down through a gate at the southern edge of Hutton Lowcross Woods. Where I made another friend.


Following the Way at the top of the wood for a few more hundred meters as it drops down to another track junction. This was national cycle route 168, which runs from Kildale in the North Yorkshire Moors to Guisborough and Saltburn-by-the-Sea.

I had a short break and a cup of hot chocolate, looked at my map and planned where I would go next.


Walking right though the gate I continued along the Cleveland Way. After a few hundred meters the Way turns left, east off national cycle route 168.


After a few meters I stopped, something large had splashed in the water by the Way. I didn't know what it was but it didn't make any appearance while I stood there with my camera ready. No more time to wait I continued on following the stone path. I was interested to see this stone for Trinity Hool, and wondered where the other part of the stone was.


I found it after a few more meters when the path climbs again by a wall. Holy Trinity School, the stone was laid on 15 April 1964 by a Mrs O.G.M. Hirst. I have not been able to find anything on the internet about this school. It was a shame that the stone had been broken and separated.


The Way climbs and as I passed Highcliffe Farm I identified the route I would take on my way back to the national cycle route 168.

As the Way climbed I passed through a gate and continued to climb to the edge of Highcliff Wood.


Following the Cleveland Way sign northwards I walked the few hundred meters towards Highcliff Nab.


I followed the stone path up the side and onto the top. It was very windy and the wind was a lot colder now than it had been. I stood for a short time to take some photos, I was getting buffeted about. There were clear views to the coast, back to Roseberry Topping and the Captain Cook's Monument.


Retracing my steps back through Highcliff Wood I saw dwarf daffodils on the side of the path, struggling to stand straight in the wind. They looked lovely.

Back on the Way I headed southwards to the footpath I had identified earlier.


Turning left onto the grass path.


After a few hundred meters the path disappeared and I followed a fence line in the direction I was heading. The ground was rough with long grass, marsh, heather and mounds of moss difficult to walk over. So it took me some time to cross.

Once over I was back on the national cycle route 168, where I turned left and walked the few meters down to the track junction.


Turning right I followed the wide footpath westwards across Great Ayton Moor. Captain Cook's Monument was in sight.


After a couple of kilometres I had re-joined the Cleveland Way by a wall. This place was a little further south had I turned right at Newton Moor instead of walking straight on.


The path starts to drop down to the carpark at Gribdale Gate.


At the bottom a right turn on the road. An information board has unfortunately been damaged so that it was impossible to read the information on Captain Cook and the RAF. After a few meters a left turn and the Way starts climbing again between the trees. It is a steep climb.


As the Way clears the trees and starts to level off there is a RAF memorial stone.


Just ahead was the Captain Cook's Memorial on Easby Moor.



It was very windy up here and I sheltered on the eastern side checking my map and my route back to Great Ayton.

I could see back where I had walked from Roseberry Topping to Highcliff Nab.


Once I was happy with my route I turned back into the wind and took the footpath westwards.



Dropping down the steep path through Ayton Bank Woods, turning right at the bottom.


Continuing along the footpath as it heads north westwards down hill.



The footpath joins a road, at the first junction I turned left towards Fir Brook.


Over the weak bridge and passed Fletchers Farm Campsite, unfortunately the café was closed. Into Little Ayton.


At the top of the road I turned right.


It was only a few minutes walk back into Great Ayton, passing this interesting business.


Then I was back at Great Ayton Post Office, High Street and my car.


It had been a lovely days walk, somewhere new to explore. I had walked 17km and my watch showed 1160m climb. I will check this when I walk with my friends in a few weeks time.

As I sat with my hot chocolate enjoying the peace that comes from a lovely walk I saw my new friends again, they had found a pub. Lovely people they have asked if I would join them on any of their walks next year. Hopefully I can as it would be nice to meet them again. 

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The North Yorkshire or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to the last time I walked part of The Cleveland Way. Robin Hood's Bay to Whitby




No comments:

Post a Comment