Tuesday 23 July 2019

Nijmegen 4 Day Marches Day 2 - Netherlands 17 July 2019

Nijmegen 4 Day Marches - Day 2
Netherlands
Distance 39km Climb 69m
Wednesday 17 July 2019


If you read previous years 2013, 2014 and 2017 you will see that each year I have wrote this will be my last opportunity to take part in such an amazing event. Yet I am here again to have another final opportunity to take part in this the 103rd Nijmegen Marches. 

Day 2 on the Nijmegen Marches is called Inclusive Day.

Another early start although not as early as yesterday, I was lined up ready to go. The weather forecast for today was another overcast day with the possibility of showers later, but it was still very warm. While waiting I spotted hot air balloons rising high in the sky over the camp. I am not sure if you will spot them as they look very pale behind the clouds.


The band played as I marched from the camp, down the forest road, Beukenlaan. On reaching the road passing under the Heumensoord sign, I crossed straight over the road. Traffic was being held back by the police. I walked along Driehuizerweg, straight ahead from the forest passing the large house below. 


At the top of the road I was directed left along Kwekerijweg, passing beside the sports fields and the beach volley ball courts. At the junction where I had turned right yesterday, today the route was straight ahead along Houtlaan. Already people were out waving flags, playing music, cheering as I marched past.  Following the road west, I was soon caught up with people marching the other routes. Soon I was part of what was becoming mass crowds.

My route twists west and south passing a few blocks of flats that look pink, very Inclusive.


I walked a little further west before turning south again. 


After the few right and left turns, west and south the road turned north west. 

A left turn and the road starts to climb slightly up onto a bridge that took us over the Maas-Waalkanaal.



Continuing west with a few twists left, right and right. South east, south west and north west. The route crosses over a main road, then through what looked like a small animal petting farm, onto a dusty track. 



The route turned left and then right, north west onto Heumenseweg we were heading towards Wijchen. Although early the sun was making things very warm.


As yesterday many local people had moved their chairs and seats, settee's and tables into the street to watch the thousands of people march past. Bunting was tied up everywhere flags were waving and people offered us drinks, biscuits, sweets and fruit.  I would come across this each and every day almost all the way round each day still the atmosphere was amazing.

I caught sight of the windmill on Graafseweg.


I stopped at the rest stop in Sportpark Oosterweg Wijchen. Just after here our routes split, the red and yellow turning left. I continued north west, after approx. 500m. All the routes joined up again after the red and yellow routes had covered an extra few km.



A sharp right and I was in Wijchen town centre. 


I was now heading north easterly through the town. Another turn, north this time and I was moving passed more dignitaries, with chains of office saluting and waving as I marched through.

A bridge took me over another main road, the A326. Cars and lorries gave their customary tooting and honking of horns as they passed below. 


I was travelling more north east now through open country towards Beuningen on the Wilhelminalaan. 

The boundary between Wijchen and Beuningen is a narrow canal, it has been near here on my previous marches I have seen the Roman, and there he was.


Crossing over the E31/A73, I am sure this was the road we drove into Nijmegen on, on Saturday. Today it was near here I saw my friend Frans and met his wife Veronica and nephew Thomas. They completed the 50km a day March and it was so good to see them. Well Done Frans Veronica and Thomas.


Passing through Beunninhgen, a turn east then north east took me onto the Van Heemstraweg where I stopped for a short rest.

After my break I set off east continuing on the Van Heemstraweg passing through Weurt and back over the Maas-Waalkanaal, which I had crossed earlier but further down the canal, to the south. 



I was now heading back towards Nijmegen. For a short while the route turns north, then east then south. Turning left I was now continuing east. 

It was along here I passed another regular local with his horned hat and cat, Nigel but he was not with his truck so he was hard to spot. I am not sure if he is Nigel or the cat is Nigel. 

NOTE, I have recently been informed by the main man Frans that the cat is called Nigel, Frans does not know the name of the man with the horned hat. The previous cat who provided moral support for the marchers was called Wilma.


A few turns kept me heading east then a left turn and I was down by the riverside, by the Waal. For a short distance I was following the river on the opposite bank to the one I had walked on Day 1.


In the distance I could see the Nijmegen Bridge which I had walked across yesterday on Day 1.


Passing through an area of bars and cafes with a fairground with rides, candy floss, and more bars and places to eat. The road climbed slightly between Hunnerpark and Valkhof.


A turn left, and we were walking south. 


Then a right and I was heading through deep crowds and more bars. 


It was then through the town towards the start/finish in the centre of Nijmegen. The crowds were a lot larger than on the previous day. Leaving the other walkers I had a short rest. 


Before continuing on the same route as the previous day. It was a lot easier walking without the crowds.  



A left turn onto Kwekerijweg passed the sports fields and beach volleyball courts. Directed right down into the shade of Driehuizerweg. As always the residents of the small hospital were out to wave and cheer the marchers home.

At the bottom the traffic was stopped again to allow me to cross directly under the Heumensoord sign into the cool shade of the forest. 

A few hundred meters into the forest and I reached the finish. Today I had covered a distance of 39km with 69m climb. Then I followed the tradition started on Day 1, a beer or 2 to celebrate followed by some admin, and prepared my kit for the next day. A spot of dinner, shower, give my feet a rub for luck and then sleep. Another excellent day.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The Nijmegen 4 Day Marches or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to previous Day - Day 1 Tuesday 16 July 2019
Follow link to next Day - Day 3Thursday 18 July 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment