Tuesday 18 June 2019

Baskerville Hall to The Hay Book Festival Day 6 - Hay-on-Wye 30 May 2019

Baskerville Hall to The Hay Book Festival - Day 6
Hay-on-Wye
Wales
Distance approx. 9km Climb approx. 215m
Thursday 30 May 2019


As I said on Day 1, I had wanted to do a long walk this year while we were at Hay-on-Wye for the World-famous Book Festival. Unfortunately, due to our agenda this year I would have to just satisfy myself with walking from the campsite to the Book Festival. Today was going to be slightly different in part to what has been almost the same walk, each day. I had thought about including them all as one post, but I have decided that seven smaller posts would be better. 

Each time we come to Hay we stay at the Baskerville Hall Hotel campsite, and as in previous years find this was a good decision.

Today I had a little more time so I was going to try and catch a few Geocaches on my way into the Festival site. Leaving Anne to catch the free shuttle bus.

I took the steps up into Cwmsirhwy Wood. 

At the top of the steep steps I followed the path left and headed west, after a couple of rises I was on the forest track proper. With my usual expectations and wonder I wandered through the trees. The ground was starting to dry a little after the rains and showers of the last few days. 


The few large muddy puddles on the tracks were still there. 


The tracks rise and fall before dropping down to cross a stream. Across the stream I left the wood and joined the footpath that runs downhill passed the large excavation. I could see low clouds almost brushing the tops of the hills across the valley. I could still see the Festival site.


This was were my walk changed slightly. Instead of following the hedge line down hill, passing the old standing stones. I turned right and followed the wood line up hill passing this old distinctive tree.




Joining the Wye Valley Walk heading westward. The Wye Valley Walk is a 136 mile walk from Chepstow to Plynlimon, part of which we walked when we were on our Offa's Dyke Path.


I had a look for a Geocache near this area, unfortunately I could not find it. Ah well move on to another a few hundred meters away. Views are still stunning.


A little further along the Wye Valley Walk I had a look for another Geocache. Again unfortunately I could not find this one either. I was not having a very good day but it was worth being in the area just for the views. Across the valley is Hay Bluff and Lord Hereford's Knob, a walk Anne and I did a few years ago.


I moved on to another Geocache further down the Wye Valley Walk. I must be loosing my touch this was another which evaded capture. Not to worry it all adds to the adventure.



If I hadn't walked this way I would have missed the views and the sight of this lovely church in Llowes.


At the bottom of the bank I was on the A438 so I turned left and walked just over a kilometre where in a layby a footpath drops down off the road to the right.


Breaking out through the trees, I found I was at the western end of the ploughed field walking by the River Wye.


It was along here I saw the blue dragonflies not in the numbers as last year but enough to be noticed. They must have moved up the River. Again it was a shame I did not get any good photos of them. Walking along I could see a big gap in the bank where the riverbank must have eroded.


Across the ploughed field to my left I could see Baskerville Hall Hotel amongst the trees.


It was very warm along here when I joined up to the Wye Valley walk and continued along my usual route.

The wind was blowing the white buds off the hawthorn trees and covering the trail in small white flowers along the path.


Continuing along by the River I passed the green tanker and the small shed. 


The views across the River opened up a little here as it bends south. Just before the path turns away from the River as it skirts around a house.  Passed the house, the footpath joins a gravel road and turns north for a few hundred meters before turning right over a small footbridge.

Over the footbridge the path climbs a little up through the trees. It looked like bluebells were starting to flower on the woodland floor.

Near the unnecessary stile a fallen log still had its sign to take a seat. Further up the hill I passed the tall strong defensive walls around Wyecliff. Walked over the beech nut shells near the top. Through the gate and entered the large field used as a campsite, which now was almost empty.

Walking eastwards across the open field I reached the B4351. Where I turned right, south east and headed downhill towards Hay. Crossing the bridge, looking east along the River I could see there were less tents from the other event that runs in Hay when the Book Festival is on than there was yesterday. 

Over the bridge I turned right onto the B4350 and headed south west through Hay. I saw Anne sitting on a seat across from the Y Galli Chambers. 

From here we had a short walk around the Town before heading up to the Festival site along the B4350. 

Another nice little walk, approx. 9km with approx. 215m climb. I had wanted to do a longer walk, but as I said above, our agenda would not allow me to do this. 


More events to attend today, book signing and celebrity spotting Lucy Worsley to name drop. This is my walking write up for today. Another early finish, I think we were starting to become tired. A short rest at the tent when we returned to the Baskerville Hall Hotel campsite, followed by the obligatory visit to the bar.
More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Wales or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow the link to the walk Day 5
Follow the link to compare this walk with Day 7 the last for this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment