Tuesday 18 June 2019

Baskerville Hall to The Hay Book Festival Day 5 - Hay-on-Wye 29 May 2019

Baskerville Hall to The Hay Book Festival - Day 5
Hay-on-Wye
Wales
Distance approx. 6km Climb approx. 90m
Wednesday 29 May 2019


As with the previous days starting on Day 1, I had wanted to do a long walk this year while we were at Hay-on-Wye for the World-famous Book Festival. Unfortunately, due to our agenda this year I would have to just satisfy myself with walking from the campsite to the Book Festival. This was going to be almost the same walk, over the seven days. I had thought about including them all as one post, however on reflection, I have decided that seven smaller posts may be better. 

Each time we come to Hay we stay at the Baskerville Hall Hotel campsite. We just love it here. The wood pigeon cooing that sounded like Baby Shark coo coo coo, was in full song this morning.

As Anne walked across the field to catch the free bus to the Festival site, I walked around the Hall.


Stopping for a closer look at the large Wellingtonia tree named after the Duke of Wellington. It is an amazing looking tree.


I walked to the rear of the Hall and took the steps up into Cwmsirhwy Wood were I followed the path left and headed west. I always entered the woods in anticipation and wonder, would I see anything today? Listening to the wind blowing through the trees gives it a magical feel that something exciting is going to happen. After a couple of rises I was on the forest track proper. 

The track was still slippery in places especially on the climbs up, I was now used to skirting the large muddy puddles. The track rises and fall before dropping down to cross a stream. The stream was still quite full, no change to yesterday. 

Once over the stream I left the wood and joined the footpath that runs downhill passed the large excavation.

It was a little cooler today and low cloud was creeping down the hills on the far side of the valley.


I followed the hedge line down hill south east, passing the old standing stones and the child's push bike. Joined the Wye Valley Walk and crossed the A438. The Wye Valley Walk is a 136 mile walk from Chepstow to Plynlimon, part of which we walked when we were on our Offa's Dyke Path.

Over the road I walked by the edge of the ploughed field. 

Turning left on reaching the River Wye and headed eastwards. I am sure the holly bush on the left is getting bigger.



Between bushes and high grass I could see the River Wye on my right and across the fields to my left I could see Baskerville Hall Hotel amongst the trees. 

In the distance I could see a lone tree on the hill which reminded me of a scene from the 1978 animated film, "Watership Down".

Just before I reached the couple, through a gap in the bushes on my right I spotted a heron on the far bank, but as is always the case he had flown off before I was ready with my camera. There he was gone?



I spotted him further down the River, almost in the same spot as I saw another fisherman on  Day 1.




Continuing around by the River I reached the small shed again no Reading Kindness Rock today. The quiet was disturbed by loud voices coming from the River. A school of canoes was heading up stream. The grey heron was going to be disturbed again. 


As the River bends south, the path turns away from the River as it skirts around a house.  Passed the house, the footpath joins a gravel road and turns north for a few hundred meters before turning right over a small footbridge. Over the footbridge the path climbs a little up through the trees. Near an unnecessary stile there is a fallen log with a sign to take a seat. Climbing further up the hill the narrow path reaches some tall strong defensive walls around Wyecliff. Near the top the path is covered in beech nut shells. I saw a squirrel run up into the beech tree at the same time a bird collecting grass for its nest, in the same place, it would have been a great photo. Yet another photo opportunity that got away. 

At the top I passed through the gate and entered the large field used as a campsite. Walking eastwards across the open field I reached the B4351. Where I turned right, south east and headed downhill towards Hay. 

Walking down the road, across to my right I could see Hay Castle dressed up in scaffolding over the tops of the trees.

Crossing the bridge, looking east along the River I could see that they were starting to dismantle the tents from the other event that runs in Hay when the Book Festival is on. 


Today instead of walking to the corner and turning right onto the B4350. I took the path down to the left onto the Riverside Path. Which took me under the bridge.


Here there are a couple of paths you can take, I decided to follow the path down towards the River.


Along the way are a number of lovely sculptures.



Passed a path that leads to the Town under an old railway bridge now used as a cycle path.


I continued on into The Warren.


Once through the trees and when the views opened up I could see in the centre of this photo the house I passed earlier in my walk, where the route turns north away from the River for a short distance. With the area of Wyecliff high on the left of the photo.


On reaching a track that crosses my path I turned left. A little twist and turn, between the high sides of what would have been a railway bridge, I was soon in an area of expensive looking houses. Heading roughly south through the houses I reached the B4350 where approx. 50m to my right was the Festival site entrance.

Another nice little walk, maybe just a little over 6km but not enough to mention above, with approx. 90m climb. I had wanted to do a longer walk, but our agenda would not allow me to do this. I would have to satisfy myself with this or similar walks each day over the seven days. I had thought about including them all as one post, on reflection, I have decided that seven smaller posts may be better.

More events to attend today, and celebrity spotting. This is my walking write up for today.

It was an early finish today and we took advantage of a little sun when we returned to the Baskerville Hall Hotel campsite, before then retiring to the bar and the ever entertaining Acoustic Night. 

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Wales or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow the link to the walk Day 4
Follow the link to compare this walk with Day 6

No comments:

Post a Comment