Sunday 16 June 2019

Baskerville Hall to The Hay Book Festival Day 4 - Hay-on-Wye 28 May 2019

Baskerville Hall to The Hay Book Festival - Day 4
Hay-on-Wye
Wales
Distance approx. 6km Climb approx. 90m
Tuesday 28 May 2019


As I said on Day 1, I had wanted to do a long walk this year while we were at Hay-on-Wye for the World-famous Book Festival. Unfortunately, due to our agenda this year I would have to just satisfy myself with walking from the campsite to the Book Festival. This was going to be almost the same walk, over the seven days. I had thought about including them all as one post, but I have decided that seven smaller posts may be better. 
Each time we come to Hay we stay at the Baskerville Hall Hotecampsite. Why would we stay anywhere else.
Today I walked from the tent up to the front of the Hall. Anne would be catching the free shuttle bus.
The weather was cooler today making it very pleasant for walking. 


I took the steps up into Cwmsirhwy Wood and followed the path left and headed west. After a couple of rises I was on the forest track proper. The ground was wet following some of the heavy rain we had had over the last couple of days. It was very slippery on the climbs up, so I had to take care. More care had to be taken as I walked around the large muddy puddles which had now become larger. The tracks rise and fall before dropping down to cross a stream that was running a lot faster today. 

On the other side of the stream I left the wood.



I joined the footpath that runs downhill passed the large excavation. Low cloud was still hanging around just over the top of the hills across the valley, I could still see the Festival site.

I followed the hedge line down hill south east, passing the old standing stones. Today I noticed the foals and horses in the next field and were standing down near the road.

Across the road there was a large black horse with the look of Black Beauty from the 1970's TV series.

Walking down the hill, passed the child's push bike. I joined the Wye Valley Walk and crossed the A438. The Wye Valley Walk is a 136 mile walk from Chepstow to Plynlimon, part of which we walked when we were on our Offa's Dyke Path.
Over the road I walked by the edge of the ploughed field.

Reaching the River Wye I turned left and headed eastwards. Between bushes and high grass I could see the River Wye on my right and across the fields to my left I could see Baskerville Hall Hotel amongst the trees.

The fresh mole hill I spotted the day before had been flattened by all the walkers who must use this route.
Across the Wye I could see the couple.


Continuing around by the River I passed the green tanker.


I reached the small shed and saw that there was no Reading Kindness Rock today. It had been moved, I wonder where it will end up. 


The views across the River opened up a little near here as it bends south.

As the River bends south, the path turns away from the River as it skirts around a house.  Passed the house, the footpath joins a gravel road and turns north for a few hundred meters before turning right over a small footbridge.
Over the footbridge the path climbs a little up through the trees. Near an unnecessary stile there is a fallen log, again the Reading Kindness Rock that was here was missing but the sign to take a seat was still there. Climbing further up the hill the narrow path passes the tall strong defensive walls around Wyecliff. Near the top I was walking over the beech nut shells. At the top I passed through the gate and entered the large field used as a campsite. There were not as many tents in the field today, many will have gone home after the Bank Holiday.


At the end of the tree line I walked eastwards across the open field until I reached the B4351. Where I turned right, south east and headed downhill towards Hay.  
Crossing the bridge, I stayed on the right hand side looking west along the River, it was very quiet today.  


Over the bridge I turned right onto the B4350 and headed south west through Hay. Passed the Clock Tower. Again I missed the opportunity to take the photo of the sign showing how far it is to Timbuktu. Which is twinned with Hay-on-Wye. See Day 2.

I continued on the B4350, passing the Gold Post Box. The Gold Post Box is for Josie Pearson who won a Gold Medal in the 2012 Olympics.


I then continued to the Festival Site.

Another nice little walk, approx. 6km with approx. 90m climb. I had wanted to do a longer walk, but as I said above, our agenda would not allow me to do this. I would have to satisfy myself with this or similar walks each day over the seven days. I had thought about including them all as one post, on reflection, I have decided that seven smaller posts may be better.

More events to attend today, book signing and celebrity spotting. We saw Jo Whiley and asked for a photo in the book tent. The BBC Classical Fix was a joy, just to name drop. This is my walking write up for today.

It was an early finish today so when we returned to the Baskerville Hall Hotel we had to visit, for a well deserved reward at the bar. 

More to follow




Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Wales or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow the link to the walk Day 3.
Follow the link to compare this walk with Day 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment