Wednesday 5 July 2017

South Tyneside Heritage Trail - Tyne and Wear 3 July 2017

South Tyneside Heritage Trail
Tyne and Wear
Distance 46km Climb 300m
Monday 3 July 2017


Today I was just out wandering, trying to get some miles in, and found myself on the South Tyneside Heritage Trail. I had briefly looked at this on the LDWA website and today as I found myself on the trail, decided to see where it would lead.


I started at Heritage sign 14 "Healing Well", near Monkton Stadium in Jarrow. Sign 14 although difficult to read in places covers Bede's Well, Monkton Village as well as the Stadium. 

I had the idea I would do the trail in reverse, anti clockwise. So I crossed Wood Terrace and headed down Dean Terrace passing the Monkton Stadium.



Following the footpath down to Monkton Burn, climbing from the Burn to cross York Avenue. There were no way markers so I walked through the Monkton Dene Park level with Valley View. Coming out onto Primrose Terrace,  I crossed over and turned left onto Springwell Road. At the bottom of the bank I saw my first way marker of the South Tyneside Heritage Trail. The sign directed me right, down some steps and along the footpath by the River Don. I came out at the bottom of Primrose Hill and crossed under the A194. This was where I had walked in February 2017 on the Bede's Way. I knew that the way markers would be few and far between, I also knew that the Trail would cross the A19 at the footbridge on Kirkstone Avenue, so I decided to walk directly there.

At the footbridge I saw the way markers one was pointing in a different direction to what it had in February. As my plan was to get some walking in, it did not matter too much where I walked, so I decided to follow the way marker back to where I should have come from. It took me to the Greyhound and Hedworth Lane. There were no way markers to show this was the route. On discovering this footpath I returned back to the footbridge at the end of Kirkstone Avenue.

Over the footbridge I turned right down a couple of steps to walk on the path by the A19, until it passed under the metro line I was crossing into Boldon Colliery. A left turn up some steep steps brought me to a path that runs behind some houses on the Cotswold Estate. The path led me to Station Road which I crossed and followed a footpath down through into the Station Burn Local Nature Reserve.


The footpath twists as it drops down before it levels off to follow by the River Don. At a cross roads I decided to turn right, again no way markers so just making a judgement on the route. After a few hundred meters I did pass a way marker that confirmed I was going the right way. This path led me onto Cotswold Lane near the recreation ground. A left turn and a short walk passed The Shack and I was at a cross roads diagonally opposite Asda.


Crossing Hubert Street at the lights I continued down North Road, to where the North Road Bridge passes over the River Don. A way marker pointed a vague left, there were two paths to the left, a path by the Don and a path up to some houses, which way was it pointing? I decided to follow the path by the River Don.

It was along here it started to rain, should I put my coat on? A few hundred meters further on and I was taking it off again.

I followed the path by the River Don and came out onto New Road at Reay Crescent and turned right. Just before crossing Boker Lane I crossed into East Boldon. I was heading East towards the Tilesheds and the level crossing.


Passed the level crossing, on my left I saw a way marker pointing left for Bede's Way, the direction I had walked in February. Today South Tyneside Heritage Trail took me further down Tilshed Lane. After a few hundred meters I turned left by a duck pond and followed the footpath as it briefly followed by the road before turning sharp left, north.

At the top of the track I returned briefly to Bede's Way and Linnets Way. To my right I could see the Cleadon Water Tower. Using my local knowledge as there was no way markers I turned right from East Boldon into Sunderland.

At a junction where I knew Bede's Way turned left, I turned right. Walking south along the hedge line, I could see directly to my front, the top of the new Wear Crossing over some houses and across the fields. On my path I turned left to walk behind some houses on the edge of Cleadon, then it was a sharp right turn at the school fence and I was on Boldon Lane. I turned left and after a few hundred meters Boldon Lane became Front Street Cleadon.


At the junction with Shields Road I crossed over and next to the pond at the bottom of Cleadon Lane I saw Heritage sign number 10 "Around The Pond". Which covers Cleadon Hills and the pond.

I had missed Heritage signs 13, 12 and 11, I should have followed the Trail clockwise in a numerical order, as each Heritage sign has directions and a description to follow to the next sign, and it was difficult following the directions in reverse.


From Cleadon pond a way marker led me left along Sunniside Lane, which started to climb up towards the water tower. Just before Sunniside Farm Cottage a notice shows Exmoor Ponies graze on the site, unfortunately I did not see any. Just passed Sunniside Farm Cottage, I crossed into South Shields, the lane turns right. I had returned once more to Bede's Way, and the Linnet Way.


A steep climb beside parked cars and I reached the top before turning right through the gate up towards the disused windmill, returning into Sunderland.


The views from the windmill are stunning, I could see the new Wear Crossing to the south. Penshaw Monument to the south west. The mouth of the River Wear to my south east, it looked like it was low tide as there were a few large ships waiting near to the mouth of the river. I took loads of photos of the views too many to include in this blog.

At the windmill I had my first short break and had a welcome cup of hot chocolate.

Next to the wall stood Heritage sign number 9 "The Highest Point". It says it is the highest point in South Tyneside and on clear days you can see the Cheviots to the North and the Cleveland Hills to the South. Although clear today I could not claim to see that far.


Continuing down the hill I was following footpath signs and Bede's Way signs to Well House Farm.



Turning right onto Wellands Lane. At the bottom I saw a way marker pointing along Sandy Chare, which I knew was the direction I was headed, but I also saw a sign pointing back along Cleadon Lane. A different direction to the one I had come on, so I walked along as far as the school to see if I had missed a path, just to settle my curiosity, I did not find any path and therefore returned back to Sandy Chare.


At the end of Sandy Chare a way marker took me left along Front Street and another pointed right down Church Lane.


Down Church Lane passed Whitburn's Parish Church and the interesting looking house called South End House. I am fascinated by the brickwork chimneys, patterns within the brickwork and the brickwork on the roof.


From Church Lane a path crosses Cornthwaite Park. On entry to the park I saw Heritage sign number 8 "Whitburn through the Looking Glass". Which I believe is a tribute to Lewis Carroll who visited the area. The sign also confirms I had walked the correct route down to Sandy Chare.


I continued through the park and crossed Bents Road, I was now leaving the Bede's Way, which turned right. I followed Sea Lane round to the left and found a South Tyneside Heritage Trail way marker pointing northwards along the coastal footpath.

I have walked the coastal path a number of times in both directions. Follow this link to my last South Shields to Roker Pier walk in December 2016. I was lucky to get some amazing photos of the sun rising over South Shields beach on that occasion, why not check them out?

I knew the next Heritage sign was near Souter Point Lighthouse, so I just walked up the coast. Passed cormorants standing on the rocks below drying their wings. Passed the old Whitburn Ranges, the footpath has been repaired since my last walk here.


Passed a large number of oyster catchers sitting in the sand in the sun below sheltering from the wind by the cliff face. I saw fishermen in their little boat, I am not sure if they were collecting or putting out crab/lobster pots. I continued along the path up to the lighthouse.



A little way passed the lighthouse was Heritage sign number 7 "Now you see it...  ....now you don't". Telling the story of Marsden Village, a village which had once stood in this area.


Continuing north along the coast I walked into South Shields.  A little further I passed Marsden Rock.


It is only a short step to the next Heritage sign number 6 "Cliffhanger". Which talks about smuggling, the Grotto and Marsden Rock.


Following the path along the edge of The Leas, as it twists and turn along the coast. There was a clear view ahead, across the River Tyne I could see Tynemouth Priory, the South and North piers with the white of St Mary's lighthouse a little further up the coast. The view was that clear I could see the wind turbines as far up as Blyth. My path then drops down to take me behind Trow Point and the gun emplacement.


Walking behind the Trow Rocks onto the promenade I passed Heritage sign number 5 "Breathtaking". Which mentions the world famous Great North Run.

Just along from here I decided to stop and have a break. I had a couple of crisp sandwiches and a couple of cups of hot chocolate.


Along the beach and within the new promenade near the Amphitheatre is Heritage sign number 4 "Sanddancer". I found this sign hard to read.


As the promenade reaches the pleasure park I turned left leaving the area moving onto Sea Road and continued right, passing in front of the pleasure park before crossing Harbour Drive and continuing along Sea Road to the old lifeboat "Tyne" and the 50th Jubilee Memorial to Queen Victoria. Men were working to remove the scaffolding from the Memorial.


To the right of the lifeboat and memorial, Heritage sign number 3 "The sands of Tyne", stands near the North Marine Park. It mentions William Wouldhave and the "Tyne" lifeboat.

I now made the decision to look for Heritage sign number 1 before going to sign number 2.


I turned right and walked around the edge of the park, beside the bowling green and crossed Harbour Drive onto the very new promenade between the South Pier and the Groyne, where the map on Heritage sign 3 showed Heritage sign number 1 would be. I walked passed the eye and the chattering people and could not find the sign, I must have walked right passed it.



I then headed inland crossed back over Harbour Drive and took the path that climbed up through the park passed the Old Pilot's House to The Lawe.

Crossing Lawe Road, walking down the back street to Arbeia Roman Fort I reached Heritage sign number 2 "Gateway to a frontier". Which tells how the Romans stored grain here before transporting it up the river.


This was where I had started my South Shields to Roker Pier walk in December 2016, and many other walks. Check out the sun rise on this link.


This was where I had to make a decision, I knew I did not have the time to reach the Heritage signs running through the town. So I headed for the signs heading on the way out. The problem I had now was in identifying exactly where they were. This would have been easy had I followed them in numerical order but it was too late for that now.

I headed west along Green's Place onto River Drive, following the road and reach the statue to Dolly Peel.


From Dolly I crossed what we used to call the broken bridge, continuing on River Drive, passed near The Word and crossed a car park behind the new BT building and reached the river which I followed the short distance to the Customs House. I believe there is a Heritage sign here but I missed it.


I walked up Coronation Street and turned right onto Commercial Road. They have been a lot of changes in this area since I was last here.


Walking down Commercial Road I spotted a way marker, it had been such a long time since I had last seen one of those. It was guiding me down Laygate, where I saw Heritage sign number 25 "Old Holborn". Where it describes the salt making, glass making and shipbuilding in the area.


A little way up Laygate on the left is the Al Azrar Mosque where in 1977 Muhammad Ali visited and had his marriage blessed.

Continuing passed the Mosque I reached the corner and saw a way marking directing me down Western Approach.


I saw a couple of way markings along Western Approach but then they appeared to stop. So I turned right down Barehirst Street to Tyne Dock and turned left. Along the wall is an area painted white to highlight some metal sculptures. Is that Sarah Millican on the left?


Following the wall round to the right, turning onto Slake Terrace, passed the entrance to the Port of Tyne. I was now walking along the road that had been covered by the Tyne Dock Arches. At the end of the road was Heritage sign number 23 "Slime dripping arches". Where was Heritage sign 24? another one missed.

Anyway Heritage sign 23 explains about the 5 arches that carried coal trucks over the road to load coal into the waiting ships. It also mentions Catherine Cookson who was a local writer.


Continue round on Jarrow Road to Heritage sign number 22 "Life and death ...  ...on Jarrar Slacks". It mentions that if you had passed the Slake in 1832 you would have seen the body of William Jobling gibbeted in an iron cage. William Jobling was one of the last men executed in England.


Moving into Jarrow I turned right onto Church Bank, after a gentle climb I crossed the River Don. Swans on the Don.


I was then passing St Pauls Church the start of my Bede's Way.


At the top is Jarrow Hall, Heritage sign number 21 "A special place" stands at what used to be the entrance to Bede's World. Much of the sign is regarding Venerable Bede and his works.


As Church Bank bends to the left it changes into High Street, at the junction I turned right onto Priory Road. The road bends to the left, as it straightens I took a turn down to the left onto Curlew Road and passed the inscription below.


I had turned down Curlew Road thinking a Heritage sign stood near the Pedestrian Tunnel. They have been works going on at this tunnel for over 4 years and there is still no sign of when it will be completed. Talking of no sign I could not find this Heritage sign either so walked up the bank back to Priory Road and turned right.

Priory Road changes into Chaytor Street, as it bends left it becomes Ellison Place then Ellison Street Jarrow. I went straight over the roundabout and at the corner of Grange Road I turned left towards Jarrow Town Hall. Across the road is Heritage sign number 19 "Jarrar Lads". Which shows details on the Jarrow Crusade a march for job.


Nearby stands a statue of Charles Palmer.


Oh and the Vikings.


Returning to Ellison Road Jarrow I turned right and walked back to the roundabout where I turned left onto Western Road. After awhile it bends slightly right then straightens up becoming Blackett Street.

I am now on a part of the walk I do quite regularly including a time I walked from Jarrow to Newburn.

Crossing into Hebburn, on the right is Heritage sign number 18 "Old King Coal". Which shows details on Hebburn's collieries and what dangerous places they were to work in.


Moving West over the roundabout the road becomes Wagonway Road. Further on over another roundabout and the road changes into Lyon Street. After a couple of hundred meters I saw a Heritage way marking, pointing down a street. I followed this down Ellison Street Hebburn to St Andrews.


Just passed St Andrews is Heritage sign number 17 "Little Aberdeen". It mentions the Hawthorn Leslie shipyard at the bottom of the bank and the HMS Kelly which was built there.


Down the steep hill to the river then turn left along the riverside. A way marker points the way up around the TS Kelly. Walk a hundred meters or so by the river and onto the bottom of Prince Consort Road passed a small boat yard. I walked along a footpath before dropping down off the grass onto Heritage sign number 16 "A living from the river". I was now in the Hebburn Riverside Park.


I then decided to walk along the road by the river rather than the footpath. At the end of the road I turned left up the steep hill. Half way up I reached a cross roads, this was where I would turn left to continue my walk to Newcastle. The way I travelled on my Jarrow to Newburn walk.

Way markers pointed back along the footpath, another pointed straight up the hill by some allotments, this was my route today. At the top of the track is a footpath over the metro line and there was a way marker pointing straight ahead along South Drive.


On reaching Victoria Road I could not see any way markers, so using the knowledge I remembered from looking at the LDWA website. I crossed the road and walked down Hospital Drive. This led onto a footpath between the hospital and the cemetery which opens out onto Queen's Crescent. I turned left, then after a few houses turned left again onto another footpath that runs behind the cemetery.

As the path opens out onto St Johns Avenue the entrance to Carr Ellison Park was on my right, again no way markers. I did not know where the sign would be so took a chance and walked directly through the park and there on my right was my last Heritage sign number 15 "Three Hebburn's in one". Hebburn Quay, Hebburn Colliery and Hebburn New Town, all joining to become one.


I continued through Carr Ellison Park and came out on the footpath at the top of Quarry Road, where there was a way marker.  Reaching Campbell Park Road I saw another way marker and turned right.

I no longer followed the way markers, I turned off Campbell Park Road crossed Adair Way and onto an area locally called the Crusher. The path took me back into Jarrow and I came out where I started at Monkton Stadium Heritage sign 14.


It had been a long, good, days walking. I had covered 46km with 300m climb.

I want to do this again. Next time I will follow the Heritage signs in numerical order and see if I can find my missing signs. I had enjoyed my day.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Tyne and Wear or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.





No comments:

Post a Comment