Tuesday 11 February 2020

Magilligan Point to Mussenden Temple, Co Londonderry - Northern Ireland 22 Jan 2020

Magilligan Point to Mussenden Temple and return
Co Londonderry
Northern Ireland
Distance 31km Climb 176m
Wednesday 22 January 2020


This was a totally unexpected opportunity to visit friends in Northern Ireland. One of my friends had told me about the beautiful beaches and so while he was at work I went to have a look. He dropped me off at the end of Point Road near the Magilligan Ferry Port. Which is open in the summer. It was quite cool and hazy with a little dampness in the air.


I walked to the end of the road passed The Point Bar, passed the steps down to the beach and walked up to the green gate that led me towards the Magilligan Martello Tower. According to the signs a number of Martello Towers were built around the coast against the threat of Napoleon. 



Crossing the dunes I was on the sands looking across the mouth of Lough Foyle towards Co Donegal.


I followed the sands around the Point onto the Atlantic coast. The red flags were down and so it was safe to walk along here. As I turned towards the east there was a strong wind at my back. Lying on the sand there were thousands of interesting looking sea shells along the first few hundred meters near were the mouth of Lough Foyle and the Atlantic meet. 


Waves were crashing onto the shore causing the views to be hazy through the sea spray and made the Temple look a little blurry, further to my left I could see across to Scotland and a large mountain. In my mind I thought it was possibly Ben Lomond?

The sea had left its wave patterns on the sand. It was lovely along here and I had the beach to myself. 


As I walked long I would see flocks of little running sea birds. Looking them up I think they were stints. They would fly off as I approached and land a few meters down the beach. Eventually they got the idea if they flew behind me they wouldn't be disturbed.

I passed the front of Benone Avenue, my friend had told me in the summer, people drive their cars down onto the sand and enjoy the beach. Moving their cars backwards as the tide comes in. Today there were only a couple of cars and they were high up the beach.

I started to see a few other people now but not many.


I took some photos of shells, as usual I took too many photos and cannot show them all here. When I have looked at these photos the sand comes out as a lovely shade of pink.



After a few km the high cliffs start approaching the sea and I could see high waterfalls where the water just fell off the cliff top. Stunning.


This meant there was quite a large stream to cross. Trying not to get my feet wet which unavoidable. 


A little further and more water cascaded over the cliff tops. I am not sure if these houses were used all year round or just holiday homes but they look like the water lands very close to them.


A little further along the beach more houses cluster under the cliff. The sea spray made it more difficult to see the Temple which does not look like it is getting any closer.


I was now on Downhill Beach. Another couple of streams to cross, not as wide as the first.


I could see car tracks leaving the beach by another stream and a low bridge under the railway line.


Following this pathway under the bridge I turned left back onto a footpath over the stream and under the bridge back onto the sands. This was where I collected my first Geocache of the day.


Continuing along by the sands.


Until I was almost directly under the Temple.


After a short scramble up the rocks I collected my second Geocache of the day. It was lovely and peaceful along here.



Returning back under the railway bridge I spotted a sign showing this was where they had filmed part of The Game of Thrones.

From the bridge I turned left and walked up the A2, Mussenden Road. Walking by the stream I spotted a number of bushes that were starting to have early buds.

At the top of the bank I turned left through the Lion Gates into the grounds of Downhill House.


A coffee shop was set up at the far end of the carpark. So time for a cup of coffee, a snack and a short rest. When I was ready  I set off through the walled garden passed the dovecot and ice house towards the Mussenden Temple. Signs show it was the Earl Bishop's Library, today it is used for weddings and the signs show a lot of work is being carried out to conserve it. Apparently it is one of the most photographed icons in Northern Ireland.


This is the stunning view back along the beach which I had walked.


After a few more photos I headed up towards Downhill House.



The sky looks dramatic over the House and Mausoleum.


Then across the grounds to the Mausoleum dedicated to the Bishop's brother.



A quick look at the Belvedere built as a summer house for the Bishop's daughter.


After I collected another Geocache near the carpark I left by the Lion's Gate.

It was then back down Mussenden Road. A little way down the road I realised I could collect another Geocache just down to my left so walked down Burrenmore Road onto the Ulster Way to collect my last Geocache of the day.

Returning back to Mussenden Road I walked back down the hill to Downhill.  


Under the bridge back onto Downhill Beach. There were more cars there now parked on the sand. I expect this will be really busy in the summer. I turned left and headed back along the beach.


The sky had patches of a wonderful blue colour. It was a little colder now that the sun was going down.



I noticed more cars at Benone Avenue, on my return than on my way out.

Co Donegal was getting larger with each step. The sky was blue and grey with patches of yellow. The sea was different shades of blue, grey and white. The sand was a grey and pink. Different shades of greens in the grasses on the dunes with smudges of greens in the Co Donegal countryside the whole effect was beautiful. The sound of the sea brushing on the shore had been my constant companion for the best part of the day. The strong wind from this morning had been replaced by a moderate pleasant breeze. The whole experience cannot be described.


I took loads of photos of shells but this is the only photo I have included. The sand didn't look as pink now.


It was getting darker as I walked along.

I passed the red warning flags which were still down so I continued along the beach.


Eventually I followed the sands round to the left I was nearing the mouth of Lough Foyle.


Magilligan's Martello Town popped up amongst the dunes.


I reached the steps from the beach and up onto Point Road. My friend would not be long.

I was hoping to get a photo of the sun setting on Lough Foyle. The day before my friend brought me here to see the Point and it had been a wonderful sunset on the Lough, not today though it was a little overcast.


It had been a beautiful walk. The sound of the sea had been my companion, I had hardly seen anyone but I expect when the weather turns nicer it will be full of people and visitors. Today I had walked 31km with a climb of 176m and had enjoyed every minute of it. A great day walking. 

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
Next walk in Northern Ireland. The Giant's Causeway Co Antrim

No comments:

Post a Comment