Tuesday 27 December 2016

ECP - South Shields to Roker Pier - Tyne and Wear 23 Dec 2016.

English Coastal Path
South Shields to Roker Pier and return
Tyne and Wear
Distance 25km 
Friday 23 December 2016


It has been some time since I last did this walk, I would look at taking different photos from the last walk here. Then I thought some of the same photos would be good just to see if anything has changed. Again I took too many photos, too many to include them all in here.  I started in the same place as my last walk here, the Lawe Top at the Arbeia Roman Fort. It was still dark when I started today's walk but this would put me in a good place to catch the sunrise. I headed north to the road that I could follow round east towards the two old beacons.  

I dropped down through the park passed the old Pilot’s house and down some steps, crossing the road, walking towards the figures near the Little Haven Hotel. 


I turned left, north up the path near the hotel onto the Groyne. Light and colour was coming up from the sunrise to the south.  



After taking a few pictures, I returned to the sand and followed the low tide water line south towards the pier.  



It was very cold today.  I walked from the beach up to the promenade at the start of the pier. As I approached the pier gates I found them locked. Probably in preparation for Storm Barbara due later today. 


I took the three or four steps down off the pier onto the beach and worked my way round the stones and grass onto the sand near the waters edge. I walked along the waters edge and was rewarded with the brilliant sunrise below, the way the colours reflected off the wet sand was amazing.


On reaching Trow Rocks I met a couple who had come down to catch the sunrise unfortunately they had a drama at home which meant they left the camera on the table in their rush out. Shame as it had been stunning. I had taken a few photos but have shown only one here.


I walked up to the gun and took a few photos. 


Returning to the path I moved south, last time I walked here I had been stopped and asked about an owl that had been living on the cliff face in the area.  I had a look but there is so many places on the rock face where it could have nested. 


At the top of the path I continued south along the coast line beside the Leas. I followed the cliff edge where I could walk safely as it twists and turns in and out, Frenchman's Bay and Man Haven Bay. I took the path down to the beach that leads to Marsden Sands. The tide was in, so after a few photos I walked back up to the cliff top and continued along the path by the safety rail. 



From here I could see along Marsden Sands to a stone pillar called Lot's Wife and the famous Marsden Rock.


The path drops down slightly to cross a path that leads down another way to Marsden Sands, before climbing slightly back to the cliff path.


Continuing south passed the Marsden Grotto pubs lift, to follow the safety rail towards Souter lighthouse. 

The sun light was bright and low, no sign of storm Barbara yet but I could feel the wind picking up a little. I passed the area where there used to be a carpark. 

Down the safety rail to Lizard Point. The sea was starting to pick up a few white caps.



I continued south along the safety rail as it drops down to Byer's Hole. Following the rail up to the top I continued along the rail around the cliff edge until it rejoins the path. Following the wall towards the bird watchers hut and the disused Whitburn rifle range. Walking along the path the wind was becoming stronger.

It was not until I reached the gate which was tied up at the far end of the range that I realised I must have crossed a barrier showing the footpath was closed due to erosion and that repairs were going to take place. There were quite a few people about, having to turn round.


I continued along the top and dropped down to the sand and walked along high up the beach until it joined the promenade. I could see a lot of work had been completed since I last walked here.

A Fat Buddha was there above new toilets.


I walked along the promenade and could see the tide was in on Roker beach so took the steps up to the high path and walked passed the Coast Guard station near St Bede’s Cross. 


I took the first path down to another promenade that goes to the start of the Sunderland pier. 


As with Shields pier the Sunderland pier gate was closed. I had a short break with my sandwiches and a cold cup of tea. 


After a few photos I retraced my steps, before I had left the Roker promenade I could see waves crashing over the Parson's Rocks onto the other promenade where I was heading.

As the path was closed on the east side of the old ranges. I continued north from Whitburn Sands onto the road and through the village, passing the windmill.   


Before taking the footpath east back to the cliff path.


I followed the cliff path back the way I had come. 


From here Lizard Point looks more like an elephant.


I dropped down to Byer's Hole to take a few photos, now the tide was out.



Following the safety rail north to Lizard Point, I could still see an elephant.


Continuing by the safety rail towards Marsden, passing the closed disused now partly broken up carpark, I could feel the starting of a few drops of rain. The wind was coming in strong gusts so I started moving a little further from the edge.


I was looking to see if I could get around Marsden Sands. It looked clear so I went down the steps to Marsden Grotto. At the bottom of the steps I turned left onto the sand and continued north. At the top of the sand I took the track back up to the path on the Leas.


The rain was on and off as the wind increase as I moved alone the cliff edge, the same route as I had taken out. I took the path that lead along to Trow Rocks.


From Trow Rocks I dropped down to the beach and walked along the sand back towards the piers. As I was approaching the pier the light started up again.

As I expected the gate was still locked on the pier, so I turned and walked back along to the Little Haven Beach.


As I was walking along the Little Haven beach, Storm Barbara was picking up, the wind picked up as was coming in gusts. On reaching the Groyne it started raining. It was very heavy there was no shelter and I was soaked within a few short minutes. Storm Barbara was in full force. It was like someone had tipped three buckets of water over me.


The water was running down my legs into my boots. I had intended on walking to the ferry landing but as the conditions did not improve I took the steps up to the Lawe Top Beacons.


Then back to the car.



I had enjoyed my walk, it had been a good day. I had walked over 25 km, without the piers. A little climb but not enough to be recorded.

More to follow  


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The English Coastal Path or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to walk from Roker Pier to Seaham.
Follow link to another walk from South Shields to Roker Pier 10 April 2013
Follow link to another walk from South Shields to Roker Pier 16 March 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment