Wednesday 21 December 2016

Waskerley Park, Muggleswick Common - Co Durham 20 Dec 2016.

Waskerley Park, Muggleswick Common and return
Co Durham 
Distance 22.5km Climb 490m
Tuesday 20 December 2016


I had passed here a number of times and thought it looked an interesting place to wander around. Today I would do that, I parked the car at the car park on the north side of Waskerley Reservoir (360m). It was bitterly cold and windy, glad I had my 
woolly hat and gloves.


I walked east through the trees by the reservoir then returned to the road at the disabled fishing area. 


I had not walked here before so this was all new to me and I was looking forward to it. I crossed the bridge at the reservoir wall and walked the road on the wall.


At the end of the wall I crossed a fence and crossed another bridge and followed the path south up a short climb to a disused quarry. The cold wind was blowing into my face making my eyes water.


Looking back the views were stunning, the sky was a little overcast and I think with the cold air this has made some of the photos very clear. Again I took too many to include here.


From the disused quarry I continued along the track south west by a number of grouse butts. The area was full of grouse. When the path stopped I continued south west climbing open boggy ground with lots of heather up to the fence. In places I was passing areas of star moss, due to the moisture on the ground it made the star moss sparkle. It was easier walking by the fence, where I continued climbing south west.


At the top I turned right and walked the few meters to the Collier Law trig point (516m). The views were stunning, to the south the sun was pushing through and shinning bright.


Even though it was still bitterly cold, I had warmed up a little now so removed a layer of warm clothing. After a cup of tea, I picked up my gear and followed the footpath next to the fence west down hill, with the cold wind to my back.


The fence turns north before dropping down to the site of another quarry, Dursand Quarry. On the left was another disused quarry.


Dropping down over a rise the path leads to a couple of buildings. The map shows this is a place for tourist information.


Dropping down to the Waskerley Way (440m) I followed the path to the cafe.


Passing the cafe I turned left and crossed the fence and continued north west along a fence line up the road junction of the B6278 and Blanchland. The map shows a footpath a little along the fence but I could not identify it.


At the road junction I turned right a walked a few hundred meters to a standing stone on the left side of the road as I was walking up it, and turned north west along a footpath. Looking back there was still no sign of the footpath shown on the map from the cafe to the road.


Continuing north the footpath climbs, crossing a few wet boggy patches, before turning west. After a short gentle climb the path levels out up to the Horseshoe Hill trig point (519m). There was an interesting sound as the wind whistled through the mast.


I turned north, north east across country and dropped down the hill.


Lower down the slope I could see the track I was aiming for as it climbed up to the road on the far side of Feldon Burn. Below I could see a number of grouse butts and headed for them as they led to the track.


The track crosses Feldon Burn and climbs steeply up to the road.


Crossing the road I continued on the track up onto the path that heads north east across Harehope Hill and Muggleswick Common. On Harehope Hill I passed workers who looked like they were hovering the heather? All day I had been unsettling grouse, but there were none on Harehope Hill. They soon appeared as I moved further across Muggleswick Common.

The path stopped and I was walking across country again, I had noticed that although footpaths are shown on the map they are not really signposted on the ground. I could see the next trig point I was heading for. Along here not only did I see grouse but also a lapwing and curlew, seeing it all today.


A flock of geese flew overhead, brilliant. Although still cold the views were clear, the sun was low causing long shadows.


I climbed up the bank to the Stoterlerly Hill trig point (375m).


Moving east I dropped down to the wall to find a little shelter from the cold wind to get a little snack and a cup of tea. I think it is time to get a new flask, this one is no longer keeping my tea warm. As I sat planning where I was going next I could hear a bird calling, looking over the wall I saw an amazing sight. Unfortunately I missed what would have been a really good photo of a redkite, I could see its tail and the colour under its wings. It flew west away from me.  


It came back as I walked by the wall east towards Lamb Shield Farm. I was going to walk the path south east by the wall when over to my left I saw the Three Curricks so I had to go and have a look. On my way the redkite flew over again.



After taking a couple of photos I headed back west across country, it was very boggy and I had heather to cross. The sun was low making it difficult to see a route across. I reached the wall next to the footpath and continued south east across a few fields. As the path drops down hill I crossed a style and continued downhill by the wall.


This took me down to a narrow wooden bridge over Hisehope Burn. On the other side I climbed, continuing south following the path up the side of Backstone Burn.


At the top the path continued south.


At the base of the reservoir there are a few steep steps up the side to the Smiddy Shaw Reservoir.


I turned left and followed the path round the reservoir to the south east corner. Where I took the path up to the road. After a few hundred meters this crosses the road and another few hundred meters further on it crosses the Waskerley Way. At the Way I turned right and headed west. The sun was getting low.


At the road I turned left and headed down towards the Waskerley Reservoir and where I had left my car.


But not before I turned off the road for the short climb up to the Chimney (409m).


After a couple of photos I returned to the road to walk back to the reservoir and my car.



It had been a good day walking, Did I mention it was cold? I had covered 22.5 km with approx 490m climb.

More to follow



Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in County Durham or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.







No comments:

Post a Comment