Monday 8 September 2014

Jochbergwald to Kitzbuhel via Kleiner Rettenstein, Schwarzkogel, Pengelstein and Hahnenkamm - Austria 22 Aug 2014.

Jochbergwald to Kitzbuhel via Kleiner Rettenstein, Schwarzkogel, Pengelstein and Hahnenkamm
Austria
Distance 27km Climb 1550m
Friday 22nd August 2014


I did most of this walk last year on my own and really enjoyed it.  I had discussed doing this walk with Anne and it was agreed that I would do the walk today and Anne would go on a trip to Salzburg.  I needed to catch the 09.00 am bus to the start, this timed in with Anne's coach trip.  So it was an early breakfast at the Hotel Edelweiss.  I made my packed lunch and we left. Veronika was concerned about me walking on my own especially where I was going and made sure I had their number, this was a tricky route especially walking on ones own.  I still also still had Klaus's personal number from last year.

I got off the bus at Jochbergwald 1068m where there was a church.  From the bus stop I took the track down from the main road, onto the Romerweg and headed south west.  The Romerweg was the old Roman way that runs the length of the valley.



The road started to climb after about a kilometre.  The more I climbed the views started opening up and I could see for miles, the weather was very warm.  It was very quiet. 

More climb then the road twisted and ahead was the Kleiner Rettenstein I could not see it as it was hidden by low cloud.




I walked passed Trattenbachalm at 1628m passed the tree line and carried on climbing, the track twisted north east, south west then north east again.  Looking back I could see the mountains to the south covered in snow.



I continued up to Gauxjoch 1739m which opened up as a pass into another valley.  The path levelled off a little before turning west.  I could see Kleiner Rettenstein which still had cloud covering the top. The road took me under one of the cable stations for the Trattenbach before turning right, north, it had turned into a very narrow mountain track crossing a very steep slope.  I was following the way markers, painted red and white lines like the Austrian flag.  At the top of the narrow track, there was a fence with the familiar yellow signs.  The views were stunning, I felt so good. I crossed the style and the narrow mountain path now headed west, up and down over some rough ground but worth the effort, as the countryside was stunning.



I came up to and passed the Blaue Lacke, I followed the path heading north west around the lacke. 


The track then reached a junction, I turned left and continued climbing again.  This time up the Kleiner Rettenstein proper.  To my right was the Obere Grund valley, where we had walked earlier in the week.  After a quick sandwich I continued on my way.  


The going was quite good initially on this part, with a few short steep stretches.  I found it a lot easier going this year, I was now on a narrow path and the mist was coming down the more I was going up, up and more up.


I moved passed the place I reached last year, although this year I could not see the cross due to the mist. There was no wind this year just a damp mist.  I crossed a very narrow ledge and was grateful I could not see the steep drop either side.  I reached another high point. I knew I was on level with the cross.  After a small drop I felt my feet slip on the damp stones, it was at this point I thought this was a little naughty, especially as I was on my own.  I was terribly disappointed with myself for not reaching the cross but I had made the decision to go back down.  I took some photos and started back down.  



At the bottom of the Kleiner Rettenstein I continued north and climbed up to the Kesselboden at 1828m. The path followed the fence on route 19.  Climbing up to a point shown on the map as 1875m, another quick sandwich before starting on the Schwarzkogel. Currently the Schwarzkogel was clear of mist. 


I was now walking up Schwarzkogel the top of Schwarzkogel is 2030m, as usual this holiday I was climbing Schwarzkogel when the mist was coming down.  



After writing in the book, I set off again. I like the Schwarzkogel. From Schwarzkogel my route turned north west, then north east up to a junction on Schwarzkogelscharte 1829m.  The path now had a name, Hohenwanderweg, it was still route 19 and 11.



The weather was a lot better today than it had been earlier in the week when I was on this route with Anne.  It was a steady climb up to the cable chair station at the top of Hochsaukaser. The path was still sodden after all the rain.




At the cable chair station there is a stile, where the narrow path turns into a wide track then tarmac road as it passes a couple of cable car stations on the way to the Pengelstein 1938m.  



From here it is a wide road to the Hahnenkamm, I had walked this way a few times over the last couple of holidays.  Although a little up and down it was straight forward enough leading up to the Hahnenkamm.  On the whole a lot easier walking.


Walking to the Hahnenkamm a beautiful rainbow came out over the valley, it was stunning. I tried to get a photo but it does not do the scene justice.


At the Hahnenkamm 1668m I decided as I had time and I had not reached the top of the Kleiner Rettenstein to walk down the path into Kitzbuhel.  I took the path below the cable station on the north side, which turned steeply down hill, east.


In places the path was a narrow track, and dropped down to the woods.  It twisted and turned, in places it was slippery and wet, very muddy.  Through the woods I had to take care as in parts, roots provided trip hazards on some of the steep paths.


In parts it the path moved onto forest tracks.  It crossed under the cable car wire before dropping to the stream.


Then onto the road which took me back into Kitzbuhel and I walked back to the Hotel Edelweiss.


I arrived back at the Hotel Edelweiss in time to meet Anne who had just returned from her trip to Salzburg.  Veronika made us a cup of tea.  It had been a long day and a long walk, hard work, I felt tired and disappointed I had not reached the cross, but I had enjoyed it. 

I had covered approx 27 km with  1550 meters climbed.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Austria or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to previous walk in Austria Pass Thurn to Kitzbuhel
Follow link to next walk in Austria Kitzbuhel to Oberndorf

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant; a very enjoyable read. I've just returned from Kitzbühel and decided against doing the last part of several walks due to being just me, myself, and I. I will though next time be completing Gebra, Torsee, and Schwarzkogel.

    ReplyDelete