Monday 12 December 2011

CWT Day 9 - Knockdamph Bothy to Grid NC 346 184 18 April 2010.

Cape Wrath Trail - Day 9
Knockdamph Bothy to Grid NC 346 184
Distance 37km Climb 390m
Sunday 18th April 2010


What a different day, although frosty the sun was shinning and the sky was clear making the grass sparkle under the bright sunlight.  What a fantastic view I had outside of the bothy.  Most of my kit was still damp when I packed it away but after putting on a fresh pair of dry socks, giving my feet a rub for luck, boots on, pick up my bag, pushed the bolts on the bothy and with a whispered thank you set off.






The North Easterly track was easy to follow with only one small river crossing to make.  A few kilometres down the track I saw a small herd of wild deer, who just ignored me.  I was now in Glen Einig.  The track drops slightly to Duag Bridge where there was a wood carving of an otter and jumping fish, the only otter and fish I would see all trip.




I turned left onto a road which continued to climb North East, here I could choose between a forest track that entered Eining Wood or I could travel a path outside of the wood.  As the path outside of the wood looked slightly shorter I decided that I would walk this route.  Both paths joined again approx 2km further along anyway.  Where both paths joined I then took the path that turned slightly North before turning North Easterly heading towards Oykel Bridge.





Before reaching Oykel Bridge the path crosses another bridge and after approx 300m turns along the side of the wood heading North Westerly then hits the main road A837.  I turned left towards the Oykel Bridge Hotel.   


When I arrived at Orykle Bridge Hotel I thought it was shut.  I had planned to stop here for a meal and was ready for being disappointed but no, hallelujah their door was open.  I ordered a full breakfast with extra everything.  As I waited I wrote up my notes from the day before. With being so wet the previous night writing up my notes was the last thing I wanted to do.  After a lovely pot of tea I ordered two lots of sandwiches to take with me.


From the hotel I turned left back down the road, passed a phone box and turned left onto a forest track just before the Orykle Bridge.  On the corner I thought I saw an old snake skin.  The forest track turned North Westerly through Caplich Wood, and it was along here I also though I saw an eagle, hovering in the warm air.  It was too far away to take a decent photo of it, looking majestic as it just glided over the countryside.  Now travelling over open farm land and crossing a bridge near a farm I stopped and rested, it was now time to move onto my last OS select map. I felt now I was getting somewhere.




After approx another couple of km the path lead to the Western side of a small wood block before moving deeper into Glen Oykel.  Crossing a small stream the path followed the river to a place called Salachy.  The peace of the place was amazing as I sat in warm sunshine for a short rest.  I continued along a narrow path by the river, again in a North Westerly direction.  




It was along here I saw fishing sites all set up and marked like shooting buts.  I have seen many shooting buts but this was the first time I had seen fishing buts.  I thought fishermen would have just sat and fished anywhere along the river bank, it did not look like they could do this here.


The narrow path continued to follow the stream before turning North to a bridge which returned me to the substantial forest path.  Turning left onto the bridge I followed this path to the side of Loch Ailsh.  




Near the top of Loch Ailish is Benmore Lodge.  In my plans I had planned to stop here as I had read that this was a place to get food.  Unfortunately as I passed I could not see anywhere that looked like they would supply food.  It looked like a very expensive private holiday home.


I felt well and thought I would push on, I was still a day behind from the route I had planned, but hoped that by moving on I would soon make this up.  The track continued North and by the side of a wood.  At the top I turned right onto a small track heading more North East.  The track followed a small stream before climbing.  Looking back the views were stunning.  Further on the track took me to the East of Meall an Aonaich before passing a small loch. 








The shadows were getting longer so just before it got dark I found a nice dry place, with enough room for my tent right beside the path, I was about 22km off my planned target and felt good about the distance I had pulled back.  I had covered about 37km with approx. 390m climb in about 12hours and had found the energy to really push it that day.  


It had been a blinding day, due to the scenery almost all day I kept thinking of an old school hymn All Things Bright and Beautiful, all creatures great and small etc.  The purple headed mountain the river running by. The sunsets etc.  I was there and living all this, great the only thing I could not remember was did the hymn mention how cold it would be on that hill.


More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The Cape Wrath Trail or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to previous - Day 8 Dundonnell to Knockdamph Bothy
Follow link to next - Day 10 Grid NC 346 184 to Kylesku



.

No comments:

Post a Comment