Monday 12 December 2011

CWT Day 10 - Grid NC 346 184 to Kylesku 19 April 2010.

The Cape Wrath Trail - Day 10
Grid NC 346 184 to Kylesku
Distance 22km Climb 300m
Monday 19th April 2010


I woke up to snow falling, I thought to myself this could be a good sign as it would freeze the bogs up, making the ground solid and therefore making the walking easier.  I would soon find out, as it happened it did for awhile.  When I was sorting my feet out getting ready for the days walking I put my seal skin waterproof socks on as my boots were soaking wet.  I need not have bothered as by the time I was going through my second river crossing, the water came over the top of my gaiters.


From my campsite the thin path continued North and crossed a number of streams of varying widths and depths before turning North West. 

Following the meal I had at the Orykle Bridge Hotel early the day before I had not had a proper meal.  This with the energy I had used in pushing myself to catch up with my plan meant I was now walking on low fuel.  The going was hard, I also had the snow/rain and hailstone flurries.  Totally different to yesterday, where nothing could slow me down and it was almost as though I had wings on my heels. Today my feet had turned into lead and it took a lot of mental effort to concentrate on where I was walking and push on.

The map shows after about 5 - 5.5 km from my campsite the path stops.  I think I must have lost the path long before then.  I was walking on bearings and still found it hard to navigate over the rough terrain.  Tiredness and lack of energy did not help.  I just kept walking in the direction where I hoped I would find the path. 






There were many ups and downs sometimes moving across bog and swampy areas then onto rocky outcrops that took me up steeply then down as steep on the other side.  On the side of one hill which was quite high up I came across an unexpected sight of a fox.  It was only because it moved I saw it as most of the day I had my head down and felt I was trudging for England.  It looked so different to other foxes I had seen, it had a thick dark fur and looked well feed, as usual it was gone by the time I got my camera out of my pocket. On reflection I have wondered if it was a pine marten and not a fox, but the area was open and exposed a long way from any woods, I thought pine martens habited wooded areas? (I have since seen pine martins and this was nothing like that so it must have been a fox.)


Eventually I found a path of sorts that was taking me in the right direction.  My map reading is not brilliant and I have been known to make mistakes but in this case I found I was on my planned track and came out after crossing near the top of a waterfall on the main road A894 just south of Cnoc Coire a Bhaic at a parking spot.  It was raining heavy now, all I had to do was turn right on the road and head North.


I walked through Unapool and turned right into Kylesku and went straight to the hotel.  There was no let up in the rain, on the road a couple of bikers passed me but other than these there was no other traffic.


I had planned to be at Kylesku by 14.00 but it was a lot later when I got there.  I also had planned to move on after I had had some food, but by the time I arrived there I thought I would not reach anywhere decent by night fall plus by staying I had the chance of breakfast and ordering a packed lunch for the next day, so I felt the sensible decision would be to stay the night.  This was not what I had wanted to do, I had eaten rations earlier than intended and was now concerned about getting supplies.  There were also reports that the weather for the rest of the week was going to be bad, worse than today?

I had walked 22km with approx 300m climb in 10 hours the pace was a lot slower than the previous day.  Looking at my map I had about 60 – 62km left before I reached Cape Wrath.  While in the warm I looked at my maps as I had to decide what and where I was going next.  I was going to have to change my planned route slightly to allow me to complete my task in the time I had left to do it.  I needed to be on the train to Inverness on Friday morning.

After a large three course meal of everything I could possibly eat, a couple of shandys I went to bed feeling more than a little frustrated with myself.  I was finding out that I must be one of the most discontented people I know.  Not happy with being away from work and doing what I like, walking, I felt as though I was punishing myself as I was failing to keep to my plan.

This day had been a hard day.

More to follow.


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.  
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The Cape Wrath Trail or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to previous - Day 9 Knockdamph Bothy to Grid NC 346 184
Follow link to next - Day 11 Kylesku to Kinlochbervie


No comments:

Post a Comment