Sunday 2 October 2011

The Cape Wrath Trail (pre the walk)

Pre The Cape Wrath Trail

Note to promote my blog I have set up a Facebook account, if you would like to send me a friends request.

As I was waiting for the train in Fort William following my walk along the West Highland Way I called into the Nevis shop and had a look at the books for my next personal challenge.  My feet were sore, my muscles ached but I was already looking ahead for my next walk.


The walk that caught my eye was in a book called North to The Cape described as a trek from Fort William to Cape Wrath by Denis Brook and Phil Hinchliffe.  If I decide to do this walk I would need to do some serious research.  Listen to me, if I decide to do this walk,  it was as though I had no sooner seen the book than I was committed and my heart was set on doing this trek.  On the internet it is referred to as The Cape Wrath Trail it is approx 202 mile (326 km) depending on the routes and the source you use.  Cape Wrath is described as not the most northerly point on mainland Britain, however it is described as the most northerly point on mainland Britain unreachable by motor transport.  


As with when I did the West Highland Way I was going to plan and organise my own way of doing The Trail.  Anne was not happy for me to go off again on my own however she accepted this was something I needed to do.  As before I was like an excited child, making plans, changing them then going back to the original plan.  I could not think of anything else I couldn't wait to get going.

With access to the internet and my book I had many sources of information on The Cape Wrath Trail. 


I had some things I needed to consider.  In the book it says that when you reach the end you now have the problem of getting away from The Cape.  I looked into places where I could leave the car.

1. Should I leave my car at Fort William? Question how would I get back to Fort William?
2. Should I leave my car at Lairg or Inverness? Question how would I get to the start? The bus would take at least 2 hours.
3. Should I leave my car at Ullapool? Question how would I get to the start and how to get back to Ullapool from the Cape.
4. Leave the car at home and take the train.     


A phone number for bus timings 01971 511343
or on the Internet Transportdirect.info.co.uk


Maps.


O/S 41, 40 (I got years ago), 33, 25, 19, 20, 16, 15, 9 (one of my sons bought me for Fathers Day).  The O/S internet site had a 20% off their custom made maps.  So I ordered four custom made maps that covered the area through OS select, 1. Loch Cluanie, 2. Sgurr a Chaorrac, 3. Inverbroom and 4. Ben More Assynt. 


The Cape Wrath Trail internet site was a good source of information.  It shows diaries from many who have travelled the Trail.  Many travelled along the Great Glen Way then turned North, this is unlike the book which shows a route across the ferry at Loch Linnhe.  Yet something else to think about?  The internet site mentions alternative bus routes, no 919 from Inverness to Fort William.  Another consideration to think about when I decide where I will leave the car.  People had also posted details of places to eat and stay.  


More numbers to note:- 
Ullapool Tourist Information 01854 612135
Durness Tourist Information 01971 511259
Internet site for accommodation in Inverness www.invernesscitydirectory.com 


I decided that the route I would take was going to be what I thought would be the best for me from the book and the information on the web sites.


Rough Route Plan (possible places to stop or feed).


Day 1 Fort William to South Laggan
Breakfast - Fort William Railway Station
Lunch - sandwich from Railway Station 
possible places to stay Great Glen Water Park 01809 501383
possible places to stay Dalcomera Girlochy 01397 712778 
Follow link to actual Day 1 Fort William to South Laggan Locks


Day 2 South Laggan to Tomdoun
Lunch - Well of Seven Heads
Evening Meal Tomdoun Hotel 01809 511218 (grid 156 010)
Follow link to actual Day 2 South Laggan Locks to Tomdoun

Day 3 Tomdoun to Camban Bothy
Breakfast - Tomdoun Hotel
Lunch - Cluanie Inn stay@cluanieinn.com 01320 340238 (grid 077 117) 
Dinner - rations Camban Bothy
Follow link to actual Day 3 Tomdoun to Camban Bothy


Day 4 Camban Bothy to Camus-luinie
Breakfast - rations Camban Bothy
Evening Meal - Whitefalls (grid 947 283)
Follow link to actual Day 4 Camban Bothy to Camus-luinie


Day 5 Camus-luinie to Achnashellach Station
Breakfast Whitefalls
possible places to stay Strath Carran Hotel IV54 8YR strathcarronhotel@gmail.com
Achnashellach Station cafe 01520 766102
Cromasaig House IV22 2PE cromasaig@msn.com 01445 760234
Follow link to actual Day 5 Camus-luinie to Achnashellach


Day 6 Achnashellach Station to Dundonnell
Kinlochewe Hotel 01445 760253
Whistlestop Cafe Old Village Hall 01445 760423
Dundonnell Hotel 01854 633204 enquiries@dundonnellhotel.co.uk
Follow link to actual Day 6 Achnashellach to Grid NH 065 675


Day 7 Dundonnell to Knockdamph Bothy
Breakfast - Dundonnell Hotel
possible stop Clachan Farm House IV23 2RZ 01854 655209
Evening Meal - rations Knockdamph Bothy
Follow link to actual Day 7 Grid NH 065 675 to Dundonnell


Day 8 Knockdamph Bothy to Benmore Lodge
Breakfast - rations
Lunch - Oykel Bridge Hotel 01549 441218 enquiries@ oykelbridge.com
Follow link to actual Day 8 Dundonnell to Knockdamph Bothy


Day 9 Benmore Lodge to Inchnadamph Hotel 
Breakfast - rations
Unapool Ho
Newton Hotel 01971 502231 info@newtonlodge.co.uk
Kylesku Hotel 01971 502003 info@kyleskuhotel.co.uk
Inchnadamph Hotel 01571 822202
Follow link to actual Day 9 Knockdamph Bothy to Grid NC 346 184

Day 10 Inchnadamph Hotel to Lochstack Lodge
Breakfast - 
Evening Meal - rations
Follow link to actual Day 10 Grid NC 346 184 to Kylesku


Day 11 Lochstack Lodge to Kinlochbervie
Breakfast - rations
possible stops Rhiconich Hotel 01971 521224
Kinlochbervie Hotel 01971 521275 info@kinlochberviehotel.com
or Fishermans Mission for Fish Chips
Follow link to actual Day 11 Kylesku to Kinlochbervie  

Day 12 Kinlochbervie
Range info 0800 833300, 01971 511242, 07714 722056
Minibus Mrs I P MacKay 01971 511343
Cape Wrath Ozone Cafe 01971 511314
Follow link to actual Day 12 Kinlochbervie to Cape Wrath 
Follow link to return to Sandwood Bay



Following my walk on the West Highland Way I rewrote my kit list.  I even bought myself some extra bits of kit, something I would not normally do.

Kit List
Tent
Gaiters
Jacket
Spare underpants
Bag
Toilet paper
Gloves
Spare socks
Waterproof trs
Spoon
Hat
Money belt
Sleeping bag
Sticks x 2
Phone
Spare t shirt
Bivi bag
Camera
Money
Foot powder
Roll matt
Binos
Cash card
Whistle
Bungies
Boots
Torch
Flip flops
Jet Boil
Socks
Compass
Rations
First aid kit
Waterproof socks
Knife

Matches/lighter
Tracksuit trousers
Pencil

Gas
Vest
Note book

Head ache tablets
Shorts
Wet wipes

Termis cups x 2
Underpants
Softy jacket

Flask
Shirt
Spare trousers


More to Follow

Boz North



No comments:

Post a Comment