Monday 10 October 2011

The Cape Wrath Trail (the drive up)

The Drive to Fort William
Friday 9th April 2010

I had decided to drive to Fort William and set up my tent at the Glen Nevis campsite, then take the car to Inverness and leave it at the hotel which I had booked to stay in when I had finished my walk.  The plan was after my walk to meet up with my wife in Inverness and have a few days together.

I have drove to Fort William a number of times as we sometimes stay in a friends croft less than an hour north of Fort William.  So I was happy with the route.  When we go to the croft I normally drive up after work usually late in the day when the traffic is light and we can get a clear run, avoiding any hold up of traffic.  However today after dropping my wife off at her place of work I started North at about 08.00 am.

Scales with no kit
Scales with all my kit
 The journey was slow as I got held up with the traffic almost from the start.  It was as if every red light was against me, every tractor, horse box, caravan, lorry, bus, road works, accident's and the people who insist on driving at 40mph even on 60mph roads were on the road to hold me up.  This meant I was late getting to Fort William.
Just a couple of caravans I got stuck behind
Being late arriving at Fort William I then made the decision instead of stopping at the campsite  I would drive straight through to Inverness.  I was now frightened that if I left my tent and kit in Fort William I may not get back in time and be stuck in Inverness without my gear.

Even so I arrived in Inverness late and missed the bus I had planned to take back to Fort William.  I parked the car at the hotel.  The staff at the hotel were very helpful.  I then walked to the bus station carrying all my kit, it turns out I had nothing to worry about as there were plenty of buses to Fort William.  On the bus the views were stunning, as we passed the Caledonian Canal it looked really good, very calm and peaceful.

When I got back to Fort William I walked to the Glen Nevis campsite, I had stayed there after my West Highland Way and thought it was a good site to stay at.  Attached to the campsite is a bar and restaurant, who do really good food.  After pitching my tent I went to the bar for a meal.  While sitting there with my dinner and a drink a large noisy group came in.  It was obvious from their chat they were part of a group doing the three peaks.  They must have been the driver support for the group as they looked like they had no intention of walking and were laughing at those who were.

Anyway after a couple of glasses of sandy I returned to my tent, tucked myself up in my sleeping bag for a good night sleep.

Start my walk tomorrow very excited.
More to follow

Boz North

No comments:

Post a Comment