Sunday 19 September 2021

Whaddon to Barrington, via 4 H's and an Obelisk - Cambs 11 Sept 2021

Whaddon to Barrington via Harlton, Haslingfield, Hauxton, an Obelisk and Harston
Cambridgeshire
Distance 37km and Climb 140m
Saturday 11 September 2021


Today it had been my intention to do a short walk. Billy, my friend, had told me about a lovely village called Barrington. Which I found was not too far away and so I planned to go and have a look. The forecast was for a warm, overcast day. The temperature said it would not be as warm as on the previous days, which had been very hot. No sun and a very low risk of rain.

I walked the short distance from my accommodation to start today's walk in Whaddon. I turned left onto Church Street and spotted this wood pigeon checking out the straw pheasant. I was heading for King's Bridge along a route I had walked a few times now, the last time was with Billy. Check out the link.



I crossed the village green towards St Mary's Church. 


Leaving the Churchyard I was back on to Church Street and turned right. At the corner I crossed the road and turned left following the footpath that turns towards Orwell.

After a few hundred meters the footpath turns right off the track and heads north east, with a ditch on my right. It was fascinating seeing how things change as the seasons chance. The first time I walked along here, I was walking to the American Cemetery, it was nothing but muddy fields. Another time there were young wheat crops. Now it was fields of golden stubble as the crop had been collected.

Continuing north east in one place the path had been ploughed along with the field. From my previous walks I knew the footpath has a short rise to cross a ditch beside a large log. I could see the large log across the narrow part of the ploughed field, it was only a few meters. Passed the large log the footpath crosses an open field. Across the field the footpath drops a little into a small wood. Weaving amongst the trees to King’s Bridge. 

Walking over King’s Bridge I was crossing the River Cam or Rhee. Once over the bridge there is only one way to go, on a footpath heading north. A few hundred meters north of King's Bridge my map shows a track to the east. This track would have shortened my walk to Barrington by a few kilometres. However large signs had been placed on gates across the track advising it was private so keep out. Matching signs had been hung on a newly erected high fence on the right-hand side of the track. I continued on the footpath north.
 

On my previous walks at the top of the fence there was what I would describe as a large white slug, today it was gone. Check out the links above to see the large white slug. In the field on my left two lads were busy erecting fence posts around the edge of the field.
 

The footpath follows to the right of a ditch, after a few hundred meters it follows the edge of the field turning to the right. It looked like the field was full of swede. A rose hip tree was growing across the path. A few more meters and the footpath turns left through a gap in the hedge. 

Walking north along the edge of the field until I reached a footpath junction. Previously I had followed the footpath north straight up the hill. Today I took the footpath to the right heading north east on the right of a ditch. 


After a few hundred meters the footpath crosses to run on the left of the ditch. There are no signs and it is easy to think the footpath continues straight ahead. I did. 


At the corner of the field a footbridge crosses a larger ditch running right to left with another footpath running beside this ditch. 


My route was a sharp right onto this footpath then after a few steps a left onto another footpath which was again running north east. 

I don't mind dogs and dog walkers. It is only when dogs run at me baring their teeth, barking and snapping I tend to get a little worried. With cries from the owners saying "It’s harmless, it wont bite, its friendly". I have the bite marks from harmless dogs! While this harmless dog and another bigger dog were barking and charging each other across the field, taking no notice of their owners, I stepped up my pace to get out the area and made my escape.

I could see Orwell’s Parish Church St Andrew's across the field to my left. 


Following the footpath as it turns left and joins a farm track turning right.



Reaching Malton Road I turned left, I was only a few meters from the Greenwich Meridian Trail Marker (GMT). I had walked along here in March 2021. Check out this walk. 


Today I walked a few hundred meters passed the Greenwich Meridian Trail Marker and turned down a footpath on my right, just before the Orwell village signs.  


I was walking almost eastwards. After a few hundred meters the footpath turns south east. I was soon walking by the edge of a large square wood. Not before I had another encounter with a pack of barking snapping "harmless" dogs.


At the southern corner of the wood, I saw a footpath sign over a narrow footbridge. This took me into the wood and the footpath followed the inside southern edge of the wood. I was walking eastwards again. In places I could see new wooden pylons or telegraph poles. 

After a few hundred meters the footpath opens up and follows by the edge of the field towards an old derelict barn and house on the Orwell Road. 


This was where I made a change to my plan for a short walk. I could have turned right and walked straight into Barrington or turn left and see where I would end up. On my return journey I would come back to this house on this footpath for my return walk to Whaddon. Turning left, there was a lot of traffic on the Orwell Road and I kept stopping and stepping off the road so it took a little longer than it should have.


As the road bends to the left I walked onto the grass over a small mound. This looks like a place where people park their cars to walk their dogs. To my right there was a gate through to Wilsmere Down Farm, Trumpington Estate. I sat on the mound for a short break and snack. 



After my break I turned right, east and walked through the gate towards Wilsmere Down Farm. I could see the path I was heading for climbing the hill to my left.


Turning left I walked up the grass path heading northerly. 


I could see movement in the field to my right, but I couldn't make out what it was. As I moved closer I saw it was a number of grouse pecking amongst the stubble. A red kite was flying about and I spent some time watching and trying to take it's photo. This was one which I have zoomed in and cropped.  


Following the edge of Long Plantation right then left, I continued northerly on the permissive path. Climbing slightly. At the top the footpath continued under some trees into a narrow strip wood. 


After crossing the narrow planks bridge I turned right and followed the footpath through the narrow wood. It looked like the wood was following a narrow ridge of high land.

After a few hundred meters I saw the footpath that leads down towards Harlton. This would be the first of the H's.  


The footpath drops downhill heading north westerly then turns north easterly. At the bottom there is a footpath junction with another footpath running right to left. I turned left and followed the footpath, unfortunately it stops and I could not see any signs. Above the houses I could see the Church so walked in that direction and hoped I was on the right path.

Coming out onto the High Street I must have walked the right route. I was just across from Coach Drive a road that took me up to Harlton Church, Church of The Assumption.


Returning to the High Street I turned left, eastwards and headed towards the Hare and Hounds.


Just a few steps passed the Hare and Hounds I saw another footpath heading south. I could have continued walking the road but decided to have a look up Rod's Walk. 


It started to climb a little and I saw this notice it was Harlton Clunch Pit.


Families with children were playing hide and seek. After a quick look around the Harlton Clunch Pit. 


I continued climbing south through the wood. Passing through a kissing gate I was walking through a narrow strip wood.

After a few hundred meters at the top I re-joined the footpath I had previously been on that ran through the narrow wood following a narrow ridge of high land. I turned left and headed east. A fence ran to my right informing people that quarries are not play grounds. I was walking to the north of Lime Quarry, my map shows this is unused.

After just over a kilometre the footpath drops a little down onto Chapel Hill. 


Where I turned left and headed northerly. The road starts dropping quite steeply and I was passing cyclists who were struggling to peddle up the hill. 


At the bottom of Chapel Hill I was on Church Street across the road from Haslingfield All Saints Church. I turned right and then followed the road left then right onto High Street. Where I saw this interesting village sign.


A plaque shows it was made to commemorate Queen Elizabeth I visit to Haslingfield in 1564. An interesting surprise on my walk today.

After a short snack and break I continued east along High Street and passed an interesting round house.  A few hundred meters and I was passing Little Rose a pub that looks up for sale. At the end of High Street I turned left along a track, Porkers Lane.


That was two H's done, two to go and the Obelisk. The track turns to the right and follows beside the slow flowing River Cam or Rhee. It was nice and peaceful along here. Sloe berry tree's full of fruit stood beside the footpath. Another few hundred meters and I crossed the River Cam or Rhee over a footbridge.


Over the footbridge I continued eastwards. After a few hundred meters I reached this track junction. No signs as to which way to go. If I had turned right I would have been in Harston earlier but I had the Obelisk and another H to go to first.


So taking the left turn I continued east. There is a wood along here that is not shown on my map. It looks a substantial wood so I don't know why it is not shown. 

After a kilometre and a half I passed Rectory Farm on my right. It was only a few more hundred meters until I reached Cambridge Road, the busy A10.

Again I could have turned right and walked into Harston but no I decided to cross the road.


It took me a little time to cross the busy A10. Where I turned left and walked the few meters up to the junction with Church Road and turned right.


I could see a little along the road passed the Hauxton sign what looks like a new housing estate.


Passing St Edmunds Church I continued along Church Road. It looked like the village was holding some event on community land across the road from a lovely old house. I wish I had space to include all my photos.

After a few hundred meters I passed The Lane and saw the village sign, dedicated to Meyrick Arnold, or the post as the sign had been taken down. 

I returned the few meters to The Lane and headed southwards. That was the third H.


After a few meters on The Lane I was walking between houses. Leaving the houses the path turn more south westerly, becoming a grass path. It was along here I disturbed, what I thought were, a couple of kites. They may have been buzzards, they were so quick I just saw the movement on the trees. 


The Lane comes out onto the B1368 London Road. Where I turned left and headed south easterly. After a few meters the B1368 crosses over the railway line. I could see my next junction ahead.


As I approached the junction I could see lots of cars turning up that road.


I would return to this junction in a little while. For now I turned left up Shelford Road, I had an Obelisk to visit.

Walking along the Shelford Road a lot of cars use this road so I had to take care. Stopping and stepping off the road each time a car passed so it took longer than it should. After a few hundred meters I reached the footpath to the Obelisk on my right.


It was a little climb up what the map shows is St Margaret's Mount. Heading south east.


At the top of the bank the footpath turns right. I could see the Obelisk up the hill. The footpath continues by the side of the wood and continues to climb.


The Obelisk has a plaque showing it is The Wale Monument. Originally erected in the memory of Gregory Wale by his friend James Church. On one side is engraved F.Tuck. Looking south east I could see the M11.

After taking a few photos and having a short break I set off back down the hill, the way I had came up. Back to the Shelford Road, turning left and walking back down to the junction with the B1368 London Road.

At the junction, over the road, the footpath sign was lying against the hedge. I could see the footpath heading westwards across the field. 


After a few hundred meters the footpath turns right, north west, there was no footpath sign.


The footpath follows the edge of the field, where the wind was blowing the uncut wheat across the path. 


After a few hundred meters the footpath crosses the railway line. Before continuing north west below some trees. The grass path passes around a gate and becomes a gravel path running beside Manor House Farm. Loads of squirrels were running across the path and up and down the trees.


At the top of the gravel path I turned left into Harston my forth H. Onto the Harston High Street, the busy A10. As I was walking along the High Street I saw the passenger on a motor bike fall off. It took me some time to cross the road, by the time I got to the couple they were alright and didn't need any help. 

I continued along High Street passed the Harston Village Hall, the Pemb*rton A*ms and the War Memorial. Following the road to my right where it becomes Royston Road. 


Continuing to follow the road right and leaving the A10, I was now on Church Street. After a little look at an information board I continued along Church Street.

At the top of Church Street I saw All Saints Church with it's Victorian Post Box.


Following the road around to the right it becomes Haslingfield Road and then it turns left. There are some interesting looking markings on the Church wall, possibly memorial stone. Before reaching a large hedge.  


After a few meters I was again crossing the River Cam or Rhee.


Just passed the bridge I could see the footpath sign towards Barrington. Strangely this has a GMT sign on it. This is not on the GMT route I looked up on previous GMT walks.


After the kissing gate, the footpath, which in places is starting to become a little overgrown, follows the River Cam or Rhee between fields before passing through another kissing gate and becoming a narrow grass path.

A few hundred meters and the footpath runs out. Ground sign show some people turned left and other people had turned right over a knocked down fence..


I turned right and stepped over the knocked down fence. This took me to a footpath around the edge of the field where I turned left and followed it.

Through the trees on my left I could see a large pond with what looks like green algae floating on the top of it.

I continued following around the edge of the field as it turned left and right. Through an opening I saw a footbridge and on the footbridge I saw another GMT footpath sign. This was not on the part of the GMT I knew.

After a few meters I was walking beside the River Cam or Rhee again. At the top of the field there was a lovely spot that looked ideal place for a picnic or camping. It looked like other people had the same idea.

At this point the footpath I was following turned right and I continued along it. Open fields lay on either side. I was heading north west on a grass path. 


 After a few hundred meters the path turns west. A few more hundred meters and the path becomes a track and turning south west.

This led me straight into Barrington. Walking slightly down hill along Glebe Road, after passing a number of houses I saw a road sign for a level crossing. The map shows it as a disused railway running from Foxton to the disused Lime Quarry I passed earlier in my walk. I thought the track looked like it was well maintained. 


At the end of Glebe Road I turned right onto Challis Green. Followed by turning right again to take a photo of All Saints Church.


Returning down the slight hill to High Street I headed west. Passing a number of lovely old thatched cottages. Then the village shop which has a blue plaque on the house next door for Dr Elsie May Widdowson. A pioneer Nutrition Scientist who developed the National Loaf during World War II.


High Street becomes West Green. I found a seat near the Village Sign across from from what looks like the Village Cricket Pavilion.

As I was walking by the Village Green, I remember Billy saying he had read something about the Green being the longest in Europe. I have since found that this is the claim on the Royal Oak website. So I am not sure if this is true.


It certainly was a long walk from one end to the other. I got the impression it had been a rich village.

Billy had also suggested I visit the Royal Oak. It is on the Royal Oak website it says the Green is the longest village green in Europe. As I was passing the Royal Oak I thought I would stop for a refreshing drink and sat in the shade at the front enjoying the view, the rest and a cool breeze.   


I still had a few miles to go so when I felt rested I set off again. Leaving the Royal Oak I continued west along West Green for a few meters.


Turning right along Orwell Road. Leaving the houses I was heading in a northerly direction. I could see Trinity Farm across the fields to my left.

It didn't take me long to walk the few hundred meters to the house on Orwell Road where I re-joined the footpath I had walked out on. As mentioned above.


I just simply followed the same route back to Whaddon I had walked out on. Along the edge of the wood. Onto Malton Road. Passing the GMT Marker.

Through the fields where I had met the "friendly" dog. No friendly dogs this time. The sky had turned into a lovely colour blue and the shadows were starting to lengthen. Back through the gap in the hedge and around the swede field. Passed the high private fence and across King's Bridge. Following the footpath across the fields I could see the top of Whaddon Church. It did not take me long to reach Whaddon.

It had been a good day walking, a little further than I had originally intended but I found an Obelisk. I have shown my walk as Distance 37km Climb 140m. From my accommodation until my return I covered just over 40km. 
More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of writing.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Cambridgeshire/Bedfordshire/Essex/Hertfordshire or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.



No comments:

Post a Comment