Wednesday 17 March 2021

GMT - Kneesworth to Hardwick - Cambridgeshire 13 March 2021

Greenwich Meridian Trail
Kneesworth to Hardwick Return via Comberton and Wimpole Hall
Distance 45km Climb 360m
Saturday 13 March 2021


Following my walk last week along part of the Greenwich Meridian Trail (GMT) southwards, from Kneesworth to Buntingford, today I was walking the GMT northwards.

It took my awhile to realise I had walked part of the GMT in December 2016 with Our Danny to Spurn Head Spit.

The weather forecast was for a dry sunny day although cool, almost ideal for walking but for the strong winds. 


I left Kneesworth along the Old North Road, A1198, the map shows this as Ermine Street, Roman Road. I was heading southwards towards Royston. 

Where the GMT joins the Old North Road, I turned left onto the GMT northwards route. Last week I continued straight ahead up towards and through Royston.


This was a good track to walk on and so far along I was wondering if I should have left my walking poles. I was a little way along the track before I saw my first GMT sign of the day. After a few hundred meters the track joins a part of the Harcamlow Way.

As I was walking along I disturbed what looked like a buzzard. Was that what I saw last week? Flying over the fields that are now on my right. It was so windy along here bunches of daffodils were being blown almost level with the ground.

Passed the last property the track soon changed into a slippery wet muddy track. Which passed under the railway line. From the number of trains that passed whilst I was walking towards the bridge, this looked like a busy train line.


Through the railway bridge the path improved on the other side. It was now a proper road which leads from the buildings on my left to the A10. 


Where the road met the A10, I saw a sign showing I was on the Ickneild Way, Riders Route, for a short distance. This is where I also left the Harcamlow Way as it turns right. 

I followed the GMT sign across the A10 and walked left up Royston Road, towards Melbourn.


After a few hundred meters I turned left up a footpath, Bury Lane. 


Passed Melda Farm, in a field to my left I saw an old train carriage, I wonder how they got that there? At the top the path bends right and follows along beside the A10.


After a few meters, a GMT signs point the way over the road. Continuing along Bury Lane there was a lake over the fence on my left hand side. Reaching the top of the Lane I was now on Station Road. 


I turned right along Station Road. 


Before the bridge taking the A10 over Station Road a footpath with a GMT sign led me left. Between high hedges. At the top there is a footpath running between Melbourn and Meldreth. A GMT sign directed me left. 

Passed the end of a property the tarmac path leads across an open field towards the Meldreth Station footbridge.


Over the footbridge the path leads between high fences onto High Street. 

A GMT sign points right however before walking right along High Street I turned left towards the War Memorial, to collect a Geocache. Once collected I turned and continued on the GMT.


After a few hundred meters a GMT sign directed me right down Flambards Close.


At the end of the Close the GMT crosses the River Mel, but not before I collected another Geocache.


It was lovely walk along here, a notice informed me I was in Melwood Nature Reserve. What a really nice place to wander. With the light, the colour of the river, the trees and the sounds of the birds, it was fantastic. 

It was along here I saw a grey heron, I thought I would see how close I could get. I moved as slow as I could, as silently as I could. Stop, take a photo then move a little closer. Stop, take a photo then move closer again. Could I get a good photo? Soon after this I realised, it had not moved, at all, it was a plastic heron. I had to have a silent chuckle at myself.


At the top of the track the GMT passes through a kissing gate into a large field and follows the left hand edge. At the end of the field another kissing gate beside Topcliffe Watermill, another Geaocache. 


The path turns into a road. 


The track joins North End with the GMT turning left in front of Holy Trinity (Meldreth Parish Church).


Then turns right over a style along a footpath by the Church. 

Passed the Church the footpath heads north east over a stream. Now I had a choice of routes. I took the left hand path as this fitted with the route on the LDWA website. 


Passing through a couple of gates the GMT headed east and then north around College Farm. Then north across an open field. 


I followed a few foot print tracks across the field to a footbridge. Over the bridge and by a fence I reached a style into a horses field. I could see the style to leave the field on the far side, the horses just ignored me. 


Out the field on the other side I was now on Malton Lane, where I turned left.


The road heads north, north west with a couple of twists. After approx. a 1.5km I passed this interesting looking building.


This was a long road but very quiet, very few cars came passed. It was however very open and exposed to the wind. Often I felt I was being pushed off the road. 


I was excited when I saw this Meridian Marker as I hadn't seen any real markers of the Meridian Line.


It was not much further before I reached Orwell. 


Just passed the Orwell sign there is a road junction, the GMT turns left onto High Street. Down passed the Orwell Village Hall and some interesting thatched buildings. I followed the GMT route up the steps to the right after taking this photo of St Andrew's. I had previously walked along here on my walk to the Cambridge American Cemetery


It was here on that walk that I had realised that the GMT marker stood for the Greenwich Meridian Trail. I was at the Clunch Pit.  


I had a short rest here, before I took the footpath on the west side of The Clunch Pit heading down hill, on the GMT.

When I reached Hillside, the A603 Roman Road, I crossed over and turned right. Walking the few hundred meters. 


A left turn, the sign shows I was heading towards the Eversdens. This was Rectory Farm Lane, I was now on The Wimpole Estate, The National Trust. After approx. 500m I was at my next right turn.


It was along here as the ground got steeper and slippery with mud I decided it was time to get out my walking poles. Now I thought it was a good decision to bring them.


At the top I turned left along The Mare Way. The Mare Way is also on Harcamlow Way. It was very blowy along here with a strong wind directly into my face. 

I noticed how brown the fields were since my last walk along here.

After a few hundred meters I followed the GMT signs and turned right, north east and headed towards a small rectangular shaped wood. The wind was now behind me and I had thoughts of the walk back.


The path through the wood was very slippery and I was glad of my walking poles. I left the wood and turned right onto Pound Drift, towards Little Eversden.


At the road junction I left the route I had followed to the Cambridge American Cemetery. Today I turned left onto Harlton Road. After a few meters I passed another Greenwich Meridian Marker. 


A little further and I entered Great Eversden and Harlton Road became Church Street.


I took a little step away from the GMT route to collect a Geocache near St Mary's. Then I was back on the route.


As Church Street bends left a GMT sign took me right.

Where the track splits the footpath runs beside the left hand edge of the hedge, on the right hand fork.


The hedge runs on the right of the footpath and a fence to the left. In part the fence has fallen across the path and I needed to push it aside to get through.

At the top of the fence my route turns left.


Passed the Eversden Village Hall and crosses Chapel Road. Over a footbridge and kissing gate into a large field. 


Part of path ran by residential gardens to my left. Before a GMT and footpath sign took me across a ploughed field, towards Red House Farm.  At the top of the path just by the Farm the ground was a little wet and slippery. This led to a gate and footpath that runs by the side of the farm.

Another gate and the footpath comes out onto High Street and a right turn. 


The High Street turns left and after a few hundred meters the road leaves Great Evensden. A little further on just before the road bends to the right, a footpath signposted the GMT route took me right through a gap in the hedge. 


Onto a wide grass path that stretched ahead of me. 

At the top of the wide path the GMT turns left for a short distance on the edge of a field. Then turns right to cross the field. 


Leaving the field I was now on the golf course. The path across the golf course is marked, in a north westerly direction. At the gate I had a quick drink and snack before continuing.


It was not long before I reached and crossed these bridges.


Coming out onto Brookside in Toft, I turned right. Brookside turns left then as it turns right the GMT continues straight up along Pinfold Well Lane.


Pinfold Well Lane joins Green Lane and the GMT turns left. Dropping down onto School Lane, where I turned right.


At the top of School Lane I turned left onto Comberton Road.


I crossed Comberton Road to turn right up Mill Lane when I saw a notice for Toft Chip Shop. I did get an idea to call here on my way back, mmm.


On Mill Lane a sign for the GMT took me left down Miller's Road, heading westerly.


Passed the houses the road runs between open fields on either side and there is a little climb. It was very windy along here.


At the top the GMT turns left onto a muddy track then after a few meters right up a slippery path leading up hill. Still very exposed to the wind. 


After the crest the path drops slightly and I found a fallen tree to sit and have a short rest. With a warm drink and small snack I checked my map. After a quick appreciation I did not think I would get as far as I would like. I also thought I would need to review my route back.

After my rest I set off again following the path down hill, then right as it followed the edge of the field climbing slightly, northwards.

I nearly missed the gap in the hedge. Thick with mud.


Through the hedge I turned right and was back on another part of the Harcamlow Way and the Wimpole Way which I walked in November 2020. 


After a few hundred meters I was walking the western edge of Hardwick Wood. It had not changed much in that there were still long stretches of deep slippery mud.

Reaching the junction my path was now to the right. 


Then it was across an open field as it drops slightly to a small stream. Over the stream the path follows by a hedge line up to an area where new houses are being built on the edge of Hardwick.  


At the road I left the Wimpole Way and Harcamlow Way as I turned left following the GMT signs along Main Street.

Passed the closed Blue Lion.


Took a photo of the village sign.


Returning to the seat in front of St Mary's for a drink, a snack and a short rest while I decided which way I was going to return. I felt it was too late to go on any further today or return along the same route. 


Decision made, after my break I set off again on my return journey. I had decided to return through Comberton, I had walked through Comberton on my walk to the Cambridge American Cemetery. 

Reaching the footpath sign for Comberton I was surprised to see a GMT sign. This was not on the route shown on the LDWA website. It confused me a little as it was heading directly east. 


Passing between the houses I was soon crossing an open field. This was where I felt the first drops of rainfall. It was only a shower, one of a few showers I was to encounter over the next hour.

I passed through Redbrick Plantation into another open field. I saw one more GMT sign directing me along this path then saw no more. So where they went and what route it was I am unsure.

Anyway I was no longer following the GMT. After another open field I reached the junction with the Wimpole Way and Harcamlow Way. In time for a hailstone shower. 


At the junction I turned right, and headed south onto the edge of Starve Goose Plantation. I had walked this short section of approx 300m on both my Wimpole Way to Cambridge and my walk to the Cambridge American Cemetery

I continued south along the footpath I had walked too and from the Cambridge American Cemetery. The path starts to drop gently down hill and was muddy in places. After nearly 1km the footpath turns sharp left. Coming out onto Green End, where I turned right. Daffodils lined the road.


It was a gentle down hill walk all the into Comberton. Another hailstone shower, soon passed after hitting me in the face.

Passed the Baptist Church and pond.  


Crossing the B1046, West Street, and heading down South Street. Passed the closed Three Horseshoes. 

Leaving South Street I continued in the same direction along The Causeway, a footpath that leads to a large house and St Mary's Church. 


This comes out onto Church Lane where I turned right. Then after a hundred meters I was at the junction with the Royston Lane, where I turned left and headed south.

Walking down Royston Lane I could see the three large telescopes across the fields to my left. They were all pointing directly up.

After approx. 1km I nearly missed my turning down to my right onto a footpath, through a gap in the hedge. This was a little before the road starts to rise across a bridge over what may have been a path or a road or tracks running between telescope sites.

The footpath follows the edge of the field before crossing the path or road or track between telescope sites. This is a picture of the road bridge crossing the path or road or track between telescope sites.


Crossing into the next field the footpath was flooded so there was a little diversion around the flooded area. 


Then it was back to the path by the side of the hedge into Little Eversden.

Along Lowfields and High Street passed the VR post box.


Straight through to the junction with Harlton Road.


I crossed straight over onto The Mare Way. After a slight climb the track drops down hill to cross a stream at the bottom of the hill. At a small wood the path turns right then left before climbing steeply beside a wood. The wind was strong and blowing hard from my right and I was glad of the shelter of the wood. As I cleared the trees the wind was lashing hailstones, now directly into my face.

A few a few hundred meters I finally reached the part of The Mare Way where large hedges ran both sides. Although still gaps in the hedges there was a little respite from the wind. Now I had a muddy slippery path to walk through. 

As I reached the junction where I had joined The Mare Way earlier in the day the sun came out, the wind dropped and it was lovely. 

Today instead of dropping down into The Wimpole Estate, I continued along The Mare Way. At times the wind would pick up and be in my face and as sudden as it hit it would stop.

Eventually I reached the large seat near the track junction and had a short rest. 


Whilst checking my map I noticed a trig point a little way further along the track so I had to go and take its photo. Unfortunately you cannot get close enough to see the details due to a big metal fence.   


After my trig point photo I returned to the track junction and headed south down the Harcamlow Way. Following the path as it drops down hill turning south west leading me to The Woodyard. The wind was a lot gentler down here. 


I continued to follow the Harcamlow Way into Wimpole Park. Passed the stables.


St Andrew's Church.


Then Wimpole Hall itself.


Turning around, south, I could see the length of the drive and the wide Wimpole Avenue beyond.


So I set off down the drive then onto the wide Wimpole Avenue.

After nearly 2km, crossing the A603, Roman Road. Then a further 500m or so, crossing the bridge over the River Cam or Rhee.  I passed the large lake covered in tall grasses. Right up to where the Harcamlow Way turns left towards Whaddon.

My friend Billy had told me of a memorial somewhere amongst the trees at the end of Wimpole Avenue. As there was enough daylight left I thought I would check it out. So I continued straight ahead down the Avenue. 


After a few minutes something ran straight across the Avenue a little way ahead of me. At first I thought it was a large dog but I could not see any owner. Then I got to thinking it must have been a muntjac deer?

Continuing along the Avenue for approx. 1.5km I reached the memorial Billy told me about. Fascinating all very interesting. 


This is the view back up the Avenue mentioned on the memorial.


I then made a mistake and continued through the trees, a better route was to have walked to the right of the memorial and up onto the road. I came back the next morning and found this footpath and collected a couple more Geocaches on my way.

I eventually got myself out of the trees and onto the road. The A1198 Ermine Street Roman Road, where I turned left towards Kneesworth. Walking by the road across the fence on the disused airfield I saw three muntjac's, they just waited until I lifted my camera and bounded off. So still no photo.  


Passing the Whaddon turning as I was very tired now I decided I would just return to my accommodation rather than continue up to Kneesworth, to then turn around and return to my accommodation.

It had been a good days walking. I had collected quite a lot of Geocaches and found Billy's memorial. I had covered a distance of 45km with a 360m climb. Although tired today I am looking forward to more wanders in the area.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of writing.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Cambridgeshire/Bedfordshire/Essex/Hertfordshire or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.


No comments:

Post a Comment