Sunday 21 July 2019

Nijmegen 4 Day Marches Day 1 - Netherlands 16 July 2019

Nijmegen 4 Day Marches - Day 1
Netherlands
Distance 44km Climb 50m
Tuesday 16 July 2019


If you read previous years 2013, 2014 and 2017 you will see that each year I have wrote this will be my last opportunity to take part in such an amazing event. Yet I am here again to have another final opportunity to take part in this the 103rd Nijmegen Marches.  
I lined up early in the morning at the camp ready to move to the start. 

From the camp I moved down the forest road, Beukenlaan. The weather forecast for today was overcast but it was still very warm.

Leaving the wood under the Heumensoord sign, crossed straight over the road, the traffic was being held back by the police. I walked the road straight ahead from the camp. At the top of the road as directed I turned left which led beside some sports fields and beach volleyball courts. I did take a few photos but due to the very early morning light and my movement they did not come out very well.

A right turn at the next corner took me onto Heyendaalsweg one of the main roads into Nijmegen. 


After a couple of km I crossed the main start line on Prins Bernhardstraat. This was where in the past everyone merged, however today as I was early it was quiet, most route marchers were being held back for their specific start time. A few revellers called out encouragement. A turn right between the shops brought me to an open area that turns left towards the Nijmegen Bridge over the Waal.


On my left was the Hunnerpark and the Museum Het Valkof.


I continued over the bridge crossing the Waal. I could see below barges on the Waal, some were moving east to west fully loaded and low in the water. Some were travelling west to east empty and sitting high in the water.



The bridge took me into the district of Lent. As I crossed the bridge I could see crowds of marchers across to my left and heading west, I was soon to follow them. The path follows by the Waal. After a short stop I was aware of the other marchers who had been released as they soon passed me, there was thousands of them, look Frans clogs.


Under the railway bridge I continued along the Oosterhoutsedijk which looks similar to the flood defences I saw on the Weardale Way built by monks.


The route turned slightly north east as I walked round lake Waaiensteinkolk. The path continued westerly around the lakes. 

Walking north westerly, the supporting crowds were gathering as I entered Oosterhout. Bands played, children handed out sweets, cucumber and other things as I walked by. With high fives, fist pumps, waves and cheers. This was early on Day 1.


Leaving Oosterhout and the crowds behind I was still continuing north west following an almost parallel line with the Waal.


Turning north east I passed through Slijk-Ewijk where the crowds were starting to build.



After a stop at an official rest stop, Strandpark Slijk-Ewijk, I walked north west. Then a sharp right turn north east heading up towards Valburg, crossing the Knooppunt Valburg.

Walking along I saw one of a few friends I met in Garelochhead.



It would be difficult to get lost, as everyone was going the same way. I had been looking forward to this walk, the atmosphere was as with previous years absolutely brilliant, I have never come across anything like this. 

The route turns more towards the east just passed Elst. A sharp turn south at the Elst Intercity stop and the march leads under the subway below the railway line.


I passed industrial units and large factories as the route turns left then right to flow east again.

After a few km my route turns south again towards Bemmel.




I passed this interesting grass roof. A lot of buildings have thatch and they are so perfect it must take a lot of hard work, time and I dare say expense.




A few twists west and south and we were heading back into Lent. There is a lot of work going on here and the route has changed slightly since the last time I walked here.

All the signs point and took me to the road that heads back towards the Nijmegen Bridge. Passing this old pill box on the way.



Over the Nijmegen Bridge and the route was the reverse of the route I had taken to the bridge earlier that morning, passing through the city. I saw this chap again, earlier he had been on the other side of the bridge.


Now the walking crowds were tight and the pace was a little slower. The streets were full of bars and bands, noise was everywhere. Then it was through a large seating area and passed the main finish where I left the other marches at Julianapark, those who had completed the different routes.

A short stop at the bike park then I continued south.



A left turn down Kwekerijweg to pass the beach volleyball courts, then a turn right down Driehuizerweg. 




At the bottom of the road, traffic was stopped to allow me to cross under the Heumensoord sign again. 


Into the grateful shelter of the wood and back along the Beukenlaan to the finishing point. 
That was Day 1 completed, with a distance 44km with 50m climb.
After completing my admin, I was in bed early ready to do it all again tomorrow. Excellent.


More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The Nijmegen 4 Day Marches or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.


Follow link to next Day - Day 2 Wednesday 17 July 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment