Wednesday 20 December 2017

New York City Day 1 - USA 15 Dec 2017

New York City - Day 1
USA
Distance 49km Climb 325m
Friday 15 December 2017


Last week we were in Krakow - Poland for a special occasion. This week continuing the celebration we are in NYC. As with Krakow I am not sure if I should write this up as a walk. However just like Krakow, NYC is such an interesting, yet different in so many kinds of ways a lovely place to wander, so I have decided to share.

After a good breakfast at the Room Mate Grace Hotel, we start our day. Leaving the hotel we turned right and walked the short distance to Times Square. As always I have taken so many photos, only showing a few here.



Turning left, south east to walk down Broadway. It was bitterly cold and I was glad of my warm hat, unfortunately I forgot my gloves in the hotel, and today was a day I would need them.

After a few blocks we found ourselves in Herald Square next to Macy's. Little did I know at the time but we would be back here later. For now we continued south down Broadway.



Leaving Broadway we took Fifth Avenue to the right of the impressive Flatiron Building in the Flatiron District.



Fifth Avenue took us into Washington Square Park. Where we saw well feed sparrows, pigeons and squirrels.


Continuing south west, passing through Soho, along Thompson Street. Until we reached Canal Street. I am sure we passed a basketball court I have seen in a film. In reflection we probably passed loads of places we have seen in films. In places it was like walking on a film set.


Over Canal Street we headed down West Broadway.


There was an overwhelming sense of sadness in the area of the World Trade Centre and the 9/11 Museum. We saw the Survivor Tree a sign of resilience in a very moving place.



After a little bit of wandering in the streets below the World Trade Centre working our way south west we reached Battery Park.


We would be coming back to Battery Park by subway on Sunday to take the ferry across to see the Statue of Liberty on Liberty Island with a short stop at Ellis Island. But today she could wave at us from across the water.


It was around here I knew there was a Geocache site "Flying into Memories". I could see the clue, it turned out that I did see the cache but did not recognise it as such. Only on speaking to Bigedyben later in the day did I know I had seen it. Not to worry I came back Sunday to find and record this site.  


Leaving Battery Park we headed east. It was around here I wished I had my gloves, it was so cold.


Towards Whitehall Street where we found a place to have a coffee a cake and a warm.

Heading northwards along Whitehall Street I knew there was another Geocache site near the Bowling Green, "Re-Charge". Again no trouble spotting the clues but still could not find the cache.


There were crowds waiting to take photographs of the bull, but we did not wait, just a quick snap as we passed by.


We were back on Broadway, heading north east now. The street had famous names and important dates in history, marked every few steps. When we spotted Wall Street to our right. So we turned down right to have a look.


Passing the New York Stock Exchange.



Turning up left along Nassau Street to have a look in the TK Max, returning to Wall Street. Then having a quick look at the pharmacy that was selling Boots merchandise in a part of The Trump Building, before once again returning to Wall Street.


From Wall Street a left turn took us onto William Street. This was followed by another left turn onto Pine Street which led us back onto Broadway.


Across the road is another Geocache site in the cemetery of Trinity Church on the Astor Cross, "Garden of Eden". This was where I met Bigedyben and it was good to meet him. Unfortunately we did not find this cache but he put me right on the two previous caches.


Following advice from Bigedyben, Anne and I returned south west down Broadway to the Bowling Green. Where we found and recorded the Geocache "Re-Charge". Thanks for your help Bigedyben, I am new to Geocaching and a little help is sometimes needed when things are different. There were more people waiting to take a photo of the bull.

Returning back north east along Broadway passing Trinity Church, we were not surprised to see Batman and Captain America doing a spot of sightseeing.


The weather was turning, snow was now falling. It was stinging our faces as we walked north east along Broadway.


We passed The Woolworth Building. City Hall was almost out of sight with the snowfalling.


We had a look in a few shops, I think it was more to get out of the snow than shop. One was a Christmas shop and another was Bloomingdales. It was turning dark, we were hungry and had been walking for hours so we decided to stop and have something to eat. The first place we found was the Soup'n'Burger Diner. Where we had a lovely meal.

Feeling restored we set off again back up Broadway. In the diner I had seen on my phone there was a Geocache site in Washington Square. I did not know about this on our walk down town. We were only a few blocks away, so we turned left along 10th Street and turned left down Fifth Avenue back to Washington Square.


Unfortunately in the Square my phone was unable to pick up the hint so I did not know what to look for. A little disappointed we returned to Fifth Avenue and headed north east again. One map we had showed we would pass Mark Twain's House, but we didn't see it. Anyway continuing north east we reached Madison Square Park and passed the impressive Flatiron Building on our right. It was still snowing a little but people were out very quickly clearing the paths.


In the park a number of people were putting on a dancing display, as we walked through the park we saw a Gingerbread House. The snow added to the effect making it all look like Christmas.


Leaving the park we continued up Fifth Avenue. Having a look in Lord & Taylor, Anne said how about a look in Macy's. So we walked the few blocks west, back to Hereld Square and Macy's.

Leaving Macy's we returned to Fifth Avenue and saw a much more interesting shop selling massive bronze lions etc. A few more blocks north east and we turned down 40th Street to Bryant Park. There is a Geocache here "Brit in the Park". Unfortunately it was too busy to try and find the cache today so I would try again tomorrow. In the park we passed this little family, standing on a snow covered table.


Leaving Bryant Park, passing the ice rink, we arrived on 42nd Street where we turned right and headed east towards Grand Central Terminal. Behind which we could see The Chrysler Building was all lit up.


Grand Central Terminal was as it says, very Grand. It is hard to believe they were going to pull such a magnificent building down had Jackie Kennedy Onassis not intervened. It would have been such a shame. After a wander round the terminal we returned to 42nd Street and turned a few blocks westward where we found a bar. In which we had a well deserved drink before returning to the Room Mate Grace Hotel.

My watch showed we had covered 49km with 325m climb. I know we had walked more than this as my watch had problems connecting to GPS when we started. Not to worry it had been a great day, what an experience. New York, New York no wonder they said it twice. 

I used to think how sad that the streets are numbered and not named, but navigating our way around it makes it so easy. The only time I had a problem was on the named streets. 

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in New York or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.


Follow link to New York City, Day 2 16 December 2017.




No comments:

Post a Comment