Monday 14 November 2016

Loch Shiel to Meall a Choire Chruinn, Lochaber - Highlands 10 Nov 2016.

Loch Shiel to Meall a Choire Chruinn and Return
Lochaber 
Highlands
Distance 11km Climb 510m
Thursday 10 November 2016


We had a great week staying at The Goirtean on the West coast of Scotland at Smirisary near Glenuig. It has been a few years since we had last stayed at the croft. Such a restful, peaceful place, beautiful, the colours of the countryside at this time of year are amazing. From The Goirtean there is a good half mile walk to the car park and is a mini adventure in itself. Anne saw a deer from the car park as we were getting ready to leave.

On arriving at the Glenfinnan visitor centre we left the car and crossed the road walking towards the Bonny Prince Charlie Monument. We had walked to the Monument earlier in the week and so today we took the path to our left towards Polloch. 




The path becomes a wooden walkway over a very damp and soggy area. Before crossing one of the bridges over the rivers, just to the left a little down the side of the river there is a cairn to Donald MacKellaig with a date 28 Nov 1910. I am always fascinated by the people these memorials are made for, they must have made such an impact.



Over the rivers we continued on the wooden walkway, passing the paths up to the viewing point, we had walked up and looked from the viewing point earlier in the week, so today continued up to the forest track.

We moved up to the forest track and saw a sign post showing right for Polloch 20km. We knew we would not get there today, but it was such a lovely day for a walk, lets see how far we will go.


The forest track is almost flat as it moves north east to south west on the south east side of Loch Shiel. The weather was cold but dry and snow was lying on the tops like a light dusting of icing sugar on cakes.




Views over the loch and back towards Glenfinnan, the monument and viaduct where stunning. The viaduct was shown in the Harry Potter film.



Just passed Guesachan, where there is a sign showing this is a marine area a fish farm. Anne decided that she was going to return to the car, I was going to continue with the walk.

However rather than walking on the flat by the loch I took out the map and decided to turn almost south. I could see a peak to my left and from looking at the ground I identified a route I could take to walk up it. This was the Meall a Choire Chruinn.


It was a steep climb, very steep in places, as I moved up the side of the hill and I could see a line I was going to follow. The ground was very soggy to start with patches of moss and heather. There were high steps of bracken I had to climb.


Looking back down the road I could see Anne, and I had a good view of the Glenfinnan Viaduct.


The higher I climbed the more stunning the views.


I could see the top I was aiming for, under a dusting of snow. In the area the snow was hard with little give, slippery in places.


I was conscious of the time, with walking on the snow I was aware of how hard and slippery it was. In places the snow was deep as it had gathered around clumps of heather bracken and stones.


On reaching the top that I could see lower down the hill, I saw another higher peak behind. Looking at my watch, estimating time distance and how the snow was under foot I made a decision to return back to the glen below. Looking back I properly could have reached the top and may appear to be cautious but when walking alone in such a remote place I was not prepared to risk walking in the dark. I was still over 510m.

The view looking north east along Loch Shiel was stunning.


It was a steep decent and I followed a different line down. I followed a stream downhill, then started zig zagging across two streams finding the best route I could, travelling down. In places the steps I took where very steep.



On my way I startled three deer but they were gone before I could bring my camera round. How easily they glided around the hill.


On reaching the bottom I turned north east back along the forest road and headed towards Guesachan and then onto Glenfinnan.




I had motored along the path, and arrived in time to see the sun setting behind the Bonnie Prince Charlie Monument.


An interesting walk with amazing views topped off with such a magnificent sun set. Approx 11km with 510m climb.

Anne was waiting in the car.  I had timed it perfect so we could set off and arrive at the Lochailort Inn in time for our dinner and a well deserved couple of shandies.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Scotland or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to next walk in the area Meall nan Each.
Follow link to walk a few years ago from The Goirtean Ben Nevis.

No comments:

Post a Comment