Tuesday 15 November 2016

Acharacle to Meall nan Each, Ardnamurchan - Highlands 11 Nov 2016.

Acharacle to Meall nan Each and Return
Ardnamurchan
Highlands
Distance 16km Climb 520m
Friday 11 November 2016


We had a great week staying at The Goirtean on the West coast of Scotland at Smirisary near Glenuig. It has been a few years since we had last stayed at the croft. With it being such a restful, peaceful place and taking part in the two minutes silence our walk today started a little later than yesterday. Beautiful, the colours of the countryside at this time of year are amazing. From The Goirtean there is a good half mile walk to the car park and is a mini adventure in itself. 

Today we started our walk at the car park just up from the school at Acharacle 20m. The weather was a lot more breezy and low cloud threatened rain. 



We followed the forest road that ran west, next to the car park. On the deer gate there was a notice about deer hunting at certain times of the year and the advice was to stay to the paths. For us today the season was over.



Passed the trees the track turns southwards and the countryside opens up. A strong cold wind was blowing directly into our faces from the south.



We followed the track round to the right, west by the Dig Bhan. My map shows after approx 200m a footpath turns left over Dig Bhan and heads south. This is now an established stone track, which we took. There is a gentle climb and in places although a few rises provided a little shelter from the wind, it was still strong and in our faces.

After climbing a short rise we passed by a gate and the stone track starts to turn into a grass track. This was where Anne decided to return to the car, leaving me to continue on my own.



The grass track continued south, dropping down to a footbridge over the Allt Beithe, with a climb up the rise on the other side.




It is an easy path to follow as it twists, turns, drops and climbs gently up to Loch Laga. Although cold the colours around me where so beautiful and vivid, the browns, reds, golds with all the shades of green. Then the pale blue of the water as the wind whipped it into small white crests.


I arrived at what appears to be a small boat hut on the loch and took a bearing north west following a stream that lead me up hill.


Although the climb had become steeper it was still not as steep as yesterday, I say that, I mean in most parts. I followed the south side of the stream up between two massive buttresses of rock. Which lead to a wide open area, boggy with streams running across it. The wind was blowing my pack around me along with the map case and camera. The bag straps where being whipped up and slapping me in the face.

I took a deep breath, checked my bearing and continued north west up a steep rise. Which opened up on a smaller open area. Another map and bearing check and I continued up to where I saw the trig point. Where it was very exposed. I walked carefully with heavy gusts of wind blowing me all over, up the trig point 490m on Meall nan Each.  The views were stunning north west and west to the sea, east I could see Loch Shiel. Due to the conditions I did not stay as long as I would have liked, so I turned and headed back down hill. With the wind in my face, making my eyes run.



The wind had been no help with the climb up and was certainly no help with the climb down, but it was easier. I reached the lower opening and could see Loch Sunart through watery eyes to the south, I was clinging to my camera.


I reached the lower opening and took a few more photos again being badly buffeted by the wind.


The massive rock buttresses acted more as a funnel for the wind than providing any kind of shelter.


When I reached the west side of Loch Laga again, I found a small place in the shelter of the bank of the stream to get a drink of water before moving off again.


This time moving north, the wind was at my back so helped push me on and in no time at all I had covered the 5 km back to the track junction.






The light was going a little as I turned left, east on the stone track. The angle of the surrounding hills provided shelter from the wind. Reaching the trees I followed the path east.


Then I crossed over a small rise and I was through the gate and the school was below me.


Anne was at the car waiting for me. Again it was timed to perfection, timed for the opening of the Highlander Cafe in Acharacle. Where we had a well deserved meal. I had walked 16km with 520m climb.

It was raining a little by the time we passed Glenuig and turned towards Smirisary. The rain was waiting for us and our last walk back to The Goirtean. Tomorrow we would be taking the long journey home, it was sad to leave such a beautiful place.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Scotland or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to previous walk in the area South of Loch Shiel.
Follow link to walk from The Goirtean in 2009. Ben Nevis


No comments:

Post a Comment