Sunday 24 July 2011

WHW Day 1 - Milngavie to Cashell Farm 14 March 2009.

West Highland Way - Day 1 
Milngavie to Cashell Farm Campsite 
Distance 34.6 km Climb 711m
Saturday 14 March 2009


I put my walking coat on, picked up my bag and stick, then after locking the car I set off.  It was raining what my Dad would have called a lazy rain as it tries to go through you rather than around you.

Within minutes of leaving the car as I was heading towards the start of The Way I saw a fox within a few feet of me near the main street.  We both stood and looked at each other, I reached into my pocket for my camera, the fox still just stood, when I put the camera to my eye it still just stood, and just as I pushed the button to take its photo it ran away.

Milngavie Town Clock 

























Although it was dark and drizzling the start was easy the clock showed 0315.  I was at last starting my birthday adventure!

Milngavie Oberlisk The start of the WHW


























The start follows the stream then moves into a park type land, and the route was well sign posted.  Going through the woods I could hear owls and all sorts of other night creatures moving about, it was great.  The only problem I had walking in the dark was that I was unable to take any photos.  I tried taking one of Craigallian Loch from the north and the hill at Dumgoyach from the south.  Both looked impressive in the half light but unfortunately the photos didn't come out.


It started to get light and the rain had stopped as I was passing Dumgoyach, a pale wet watery light with an early morning chill.  I had planned to stop at Dumgoyne for breakfast thinking it may be open, but it was just after 0630 and was closed.  


A closed Dumgoyne
















Breakfast was a breakfast bar, a banana and some of the tea I had previously made at home before I set off. As Dumgoyne was closed I thought no point in hanging around I would just carry on to Gartness and have a rest there.

Crossing the bridge at Gartness it was raining again and I could see the river was full.  Nothing was open here either, I had no option but to carry on to the next camp site.  The map shows there is a bothy at Easter Drumquhassle.  I knocked and got no answer, the wigwams looked good and I thought about having a couple of hours rest but they had padlocks on and the water tap was so tight I could not get any water for a cup of tea.  The time was 0830.


I got under the shelter out of the rain, and made some tea using the water I was carrying.  I was reluctant to do this in case I needed the water later on.  Anyway after a cup of tea and a bar of chocolate I set off again.  It was not long before I got my first view of Conic Hill.


Conic Hill

















Instead of turning left into Drymen I followed The Way across the field and up onto the A811.  After a few hundred meters The Way then turns left onto a path that takes you up into Garadhban Forest.  As I followed the forest road I was passed by a number of runners out for a Saturday morning run. 


Path into  Garadhban Forest




















The next campsite I was to pass was shown on the map as a wild campsite.  It was at the top north west corner of the forest.  I had an idea that I could pitch my tent there and get a few hours rest.  I had been told that this campsite was covered with long grass and fallen logs.  As I had to pass close by it, I thought I would take a look when I got there, there may be some place to put up my small single one man tent.


It was near the area of this campsite I got my first glimpse of Loch Lomond.  It was now nearly 1010.  The campsite was as I had been told, covered in long grass, fallen logs and worse of all open to all the elements of wind and rain, with no place to put my tent.

First view of Loch Lomond








Leaving the forest The Way heads north then turns left and heads direct towards Conic Hill.  


Approaching Conic Hill




The stream at the bottom of Conic Hill was very full and fast flowing.  As you would expect with all the rain, good job there was a bridge. 


Bridge at the bottom of Conic Hill




 The climb was long and steep which with very strong wind and rain in my face did not help.  I passed quite a lot of people going up and down Conic Hill, possibly out from Glasgow for a day walking.  The Way goes near the top but not onto it.  I did think about going to the top and tried for a few meters but started having problems keeping my feet in the wind.  This with the need for food and rest and the weight of my kit made me decide to head down the other side.  As I headed down I moved off the path and across fields which was a more sheltered route from the wind.  After climbing a few walls and crossing another wood I returned to the path that took me into Balmaha.

Although the car park had a large number of cars and buses I found the visitor centre closed.  


Closed Visitor Centre at Balmaha




The only course of action then was to go into the Oak Tree Inn and have something to eat.  It was 1215 and I ordered BBQ chicken breast with chips which sounded great but when ordering I was told it was off the menu. So I had the haggis and pork sausages instead, with a Tennents shandy, this was the first proper stop I had had and felt it was well deserved.  


The food was good so all I needed now was sleep.  The Oak Tree Inn was very warm and a lot of people came in and used it, many possibly just out for the day.  The campsite I was aiming for now is only a couple of miles away.  According to the WHW Companion it is open from March.  After leaving The Oak Tree Inn the weather changed from wet and miserable to bright, sunny and warm, yes warm. 


Sunny and warm near Balmaha Loch Lomond










Near Milarrochy










The campsite at Milarrochy was not open in March like it says in the WHW Companion, but fortunately the next place was, Cashell Farm Campsite.  I arrived there about 1500 and paid for my pitch bought a pot noodle and set up my tent.  They looked at me a little strange in the campsite office when I said I was doing The West Highland Way. I thought they would have seen loads of people doing The Way. 

The area for tents was quite open, windy and exposed, it was hard to peg the tent down due to the stones in the ground, and I had to use a couple of rocks to hold the guys down.  Once the tent was pitched and I sorted out my stuff I climbed into my sleeping bag and had some much needed sleep.  After an hour my bladder woke me up.  It was not like I was at home when the toilet is only 4-5 steps from the bed, here I had to open the tent, sort my feet out, fasten the tent then walk (run) about 100m to the toilet.  Then trying to remember the correct code for the door, things could have been messy.

After another little nap I rang home, it was just after 1800 and the night was closing in.  I had a little walk around the campsite, it was used mainly by caravans.  During the time I had been sleeping another tent had turned up so I did not feel so alone.


My notes on the day show, “Up to now although I am enjoying The Way I have not found it easy, perhaps with a bit more training it would have been easier.  I ache in all the old places left knee, right hip, right shoulder.  My left shoulder and right knee can now be added, but it is great, I hope I can finish?

I had covered approx 21.5 miles 34.6 km with 711m climb.


More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The West Highland Way or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to Day 2 Cashell to Inversnaid





No comments:

Post a Comment