Friday 1 September 2017

Harbottle to The Beacon and Lady's Well - Northumberland 31 Aug 2017

Harbottle to The Beacon return via Lady's Well
Northumberland
Distance 21.25km Climb 500m
Thursday 31 August 2017


I parked the car at the Harbottle Castle car park (150m). The last time I was here was a few months ago with Callum and Declan we could not cross the field to the castle due to lambing. As there was no lambing today I had a walk up to the castle, Callum and Declan would have loved it, next time they are up at ours, I will bring them here to have a look at the castle. 



It was going to be a lovely day for a walk. From the castle I walked back down to the car park. In the field opposite they were preparing for this weekends Harbottle Show.


Leaving the car park, turning left, east and walking back through Harbottle. I passed this fountain dedicated to Mrs Clennell, the notice shows Mrs Clennell was from Harbottle Castle. I do not think this would have been the castle ruin on the hill. The map shows a Harbottle Castle on the east of the village. I had a quick look down the lane to the east and the building I saw gave me the impression that this castle is a large house a private residence, so I did not go to close.


Back on the road I followed it south, downhill, leaving the village. It starts to climb up towards Rockey's Hall. I was heading for the footpath and forest track to the right just before the Hall. The track heads south west up through Harbottle Wood.


Walking towards the wood I saw the now familiar harvesting notice, fortunately I could still walk the track. Further into the wood the track gently climbs, after a couple of kilometres the tracks to the right and left are closed. The track I am on starts to be diverted right and left, it was difficult to follow on the map as to which track I had been led down. Eventually I came out into the open and I was able to orientate myself, I identified the Harbottle trig point. Continuing down through a felled area and walking up to the fence I reached a gate and style showing I was now on a public footpath in an area of access land.


Walking up the side of the fence before crossing an area covered in purple heather I reached the Harbottle trig point (361m). It was very warm, the height gave me a clear view all over the area. I was able to identify my next objectives. Pedlar's Stone and The Beacon.


After a drink of hot chocolate and taking a few photos. Down in Harbottle I could see the work for the Show was in full swing, a couple of large marques were being set up.

Walking back to the fence and the footpath, I crossed the gate and headed towards the ruin, south. On reaching the ruin, it looked so familiar, I am sure I have walked here before, years ago, a lot of years ago.


Continuing south on the footpath, the ground was very wet and boggy. Through a style and the footpath climbs a little. My map shows woodland to my left, but it looks like it was harvested some time ago.


Crossing over what appears to be newly tarmacked, the Burma Road, a new notice board shows you details of the area. I continued south by the fence as the footpath starts to drop slightly. Trees appear in the wood to my left.


As the footpath follows the fence to the west it continues to drop. Directed through another gate on the edge of the wood to the left, south the path drops steeply to a bridge over Yardhope Burn (200m).


Over the burn the footpath gently climbs east on the south side of the wood. On reaching the wall I turned right, south and started a steeper climb uphill.


Following the wall, when the footpath reached a road and gate Pedlar's Stone was a little ahead.


I am not sure if I found Pedlar's Stone but I had reached the cross shaped enclosed wood (290m). I had a little walk round the wood and this was the only stone I saw.



From Pedlar's Stone I turned left, loosely north east and followed the track. The views north and north east were stunning.


I followed a track as it turned south east behind a small square wood, heading towards The Beacon.


The track disappeared and I was on rough ground heading south east towards The Beacon. Reaching a fence line and footpath I crossed through a gate. Continuing over rough ground to a style. The ground was rutted due to previous harvesting, covered in heather, very high heather in places, this was making it hard to see where I was putting my feet. It was slow and hard walking.

Eventually I reached The Beacon trig point (301m). The views were a little restricted due to a few trees but it was warm and pleasant. As I had my jam sandwiches and a cup of hot chocolate the flies and midges were starting to irritate so I didn't hang about, shame as it was nice just to sit.


Crossing back across the rough ground now heading north west. I reached the fence line and footpath. Walking was a lot easier along here. When I reached the footpath that would take me to Holystone I crossed the fence and headed north east.


After a few meters it was hard to see where the footpath was, heather covered the area. I passed a number of large stones and continued down hill, north east. Making my way as best as I could.


I reached a fence and walked up hill to a style. For a few steps I was back on the footpath then it again disappeared. The heather in places was over knee high and difficult to walk through. Then as I wound my way down hill I reached deep areas of bracken, which made walking even harder. In many places it was over my head and I just had to push my way through, hoping I was going the right direction. My map showed I was in an area called Holystone Common.


I reached the corner of a wood shown on my map, the bracken had stopped and walking was easier. I headed north, the bracken had been flattened, I knew that on reaching a fence I would be near the footpath. Turning north east I could see the fence line but not a footpath. So just continued slightly down hill. More heather but thankfully no bracken.

The ground levelled as the fence came up from my left and trees came on my right, There was a loose path through, then some bracken that got higher and harder to push through as I continued to a fence. Looking for a style I saw one just down slightly to my left.

Over the style and the bracken cleared a little, I continued north east heading towards Holystone. I was back on a footpath and walking was easier. Crossing a narrow footbridge and I left the field onto a road.


A right turn, east, and I walked passed this well, which I believe is called St Mungo's Well.


The road turns sharp left, north and I passed the church, then the Post Office.


At the top of the road I turned left and followed the sign, for Lady's Well. It was nice and peaceful here.


The water was so clear.



After a short walk round to get some photos I left Lady's Well and continued north on the footpath that came out on to the road opposite Wood Hall. Turning left I followed the road with its ups and down and twists and turns back to Harbottle.

There were tents and large marquees set up now on the field opposite the car park ready for Saturdays show.


It had been good getting out and about, especially somewhere new. I had walked 21.25km with 500m climb. As I had a hot chocolate in the car park I felt a few spots of rain. I knew showers were forecast for the afternoon but they had fortunately held off until I finished. 

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Northumberland or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.



No comments:

Post a Comment