Friday 4 August 2017

Dufton to Meldon Hill via High Cup Gill Return along PW - Cumbria 2 August 2017

Dufton to Meldon Hill via High Cup Gill and return along Pennine Way
Cumbria
Distance 24.5km Climb 830m
Wednesday 2 August 2017


I had walked from Dufton to High Cup Nick returning to Dufton via Murton Pike in March. At that time I had seen that there was a path up through the valley and I was interested to see what it was like. Today I would find out. I was also checking out possible routes to take Anne up to High Cup Nick, something I had promised since Day 9 of my Pennine Way in 2011. Plans are being made to do this within the next few months, so fingers crossed.


I was a little late in leaving home and this would have a knock on effect later in the day. I parked the car at the Dufton car park, I was fortunate to get the last space. Leaving the car park I walked back along the road I had drove in on from Appleby. 


I continued south east down the road, passing the junction on my left from The Pennine Way.


At the main road junction I turned left, east, towards Keisley. It was overcast but nice and cool walking, today I was in shorts and tee shirt.


The countryside was opening up, fields and distant views to my right, hills to my left. Directly to my front I could see Murton Pike, this was the feature I had walked up and down on my last walk in this area.


After just over 3km I reached Keisley Bridge (240m). Keisley Bridge crosses over High Cupgill Beck, I would see and cross High Cupgill Beck a little later on, on my walk.


Just passed the bridge, I knew from my last walk I would reach a style that would take me on a footpath across a field to Harbour Flatt.



From Harbour Flatt a footpath took me north east up towards High Cup Gill.


The footpath runs next to a farm track. After dropping down to pass through a gate and cross Trundale Gill there is a little climb. After the climb I followed the path round the left hand edge of another short rise.


Looking to the front I could see the length of High Cup Gill stretched out before me. From the rise the path drops gently to the valley floor. I am sure I heard a buzzard cry, high in the sky but I could not see it. There was also the echo of distant rifle fire echoing around the valley from the Warcop Ranges to the east.

As I moved up the valley, there were a few showers, and I thought about putting on my waterproof coat. The ground was soft and boggy in places, tormentil flowers grew in large patches in the wet ground.


The path levels and the bottom of the valley rises up to meet it near a wall.


The wall has a crossing point. Crossing the wall then High Cupgill Beck, the path starts to climb along with the valley bottom. A waterfall coming from Strands Beck was to my left.

Moving up the valley I came across a boulder field which I had to cross. There was no distinctive path across, people had just found their own ways.


The shower was turning into more persistent rain, I decided it was now time to put my waterproof on. I had hoped the rain would keep off, as it was warm without my coat on.

After the boulder field I returned to a path as it climbed steeply up the side of High Cup Nick. At the top (550m) I had, what I felt was a well deserved cup of hot chocolate and enjoyed the views back down the valley. I had thought the BBC using a drone, filmed the view up High Cup Gill as one of the pictures at the start of Countryfile. I have since found out that was the view along Great Langdale a walk I did in July 2016.



I had decided due to the scramble over the boulder field and the short climb up the side of the Nick I would not bring Anne up this route.

After my break as I was getting ready to carry on I saw what I think was a buzzard rise on the thermals right in front of where I had been sitting. Had I waited a few seconds and had my camera ready I would have had a great photo.

Leaving I followed the stones marking the path slightly north east as they crested a rise.


My map shows The Pennine Way on the north of Maize Beck, and a path across the beck, yet I was to the south of the beck. A quick GPS check and I turned north and crossed the beck.

There was no easy way across, I crossed at what I thought was a good point and walked through damp ground to follow a stream north.


I was now walking freestyle, no path. Just following a bearing roughly north east. The rain was not stopping it was becoming heavier and with that less visibility.


The ground was not easy to walk on,tufted heather with rocks, turned to bog and marshy wet land. There was the moving up over and around peat boggy ground. I startled a number of grouse as I splashed my way north east. Earlier I had set a good pace, this had obviously slowed with my climb up High Cup Nick. Crossing this ground it slowed even further.


Visibility became worse after each crest another would appear in the mist. Looking behind I could still just see the shape of the high features on either side of High Cup Nick. They were my reference points.


Due to the weather even my reference points where soon lost to sight and I was referring to my map and compass using GPS as a check. Eventually my GPS showed I was in the area of the trig point (767m), I was at the height shown on my map, but I could not see it. I was running out of time so I did a quick search of the area.


Still I could not see it, time was no longer a friend so I made the decision to return to my car. Nothing was being achieved, and the trig point would still be there for another days walk, a better weather days walk. I took many photos which have water on them, I struggled to find a dry piece of clothing to wipe my lens clear.

Anyway decision made I turned my compass south and headed back over the ground I have previously described.


Walking above one of the streams that feed into Maize Beck when I spotted three deer running down away from me to my right. They crossed the stream below and came running up the bank to my left. The photo came out as rain drops on the lens. The deer did not wait long, once they realised they were heading towards me they skipped off further to my left.

I continued south to Maize Beck, my feet were wet now and any finesse in crossing the beck was lost. It was just straight in, get over and then get out. I climbed the bank on the other side to join the grass path heading west. At the top of High Cup Nick despite the visibility the view was still stunning.  



I followed The Pennine Way round what the map shows as Narrow Gate Path.


As I descended in height, the rain returned to showery, the wind picked up and the views opened up.

Dufton Pike appeared on my right and the rain stopped.


The Pennine Way led me to the road and the junction I had passed earlier in the day. The flag still hung wet and limp, I knew how it felt.


A right turn took me into Dufton.


Then a little climb with a twist left then right and I was back at the carpark. I think, when I bring Anne I will take her along The Pennine Way, it will be good. Looking forward to it already.

I was a little disappointed that I could not find the trig point on Meldon Hill. On returning home and checking out the Trig pointing sight it appears this particular trig point has been destroyed for a number of years. Wandering around the summit I did pass a number of stones, perhaps I had passed the broken trig point. Not to worry something to lookout for on another day. I had walked 24.5km with 830m climb. 

Even though I was soaked I had enjoyed the challenge and did enjoy my drink and dinner in the pub that night.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Cumbria or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

No comments:

Post a Comment