Tuesday 9 August 2016

My Northumbrian Trail Day 1 - Northumberland 4 Aug 2016.

My Northumbrian Trail Day 1
Northumberland
Distance 43km Climb 1710m
Thursday 4 August 2016


It took me a few days to check out and measure a possible route using my maps and experience from some of the walks I have already done in the area. This was the first and for the near future the only opportunity I would have to go and try out the route. I knew I was not as prepared as I would like to be but this may be the only chance I would get. I left a copy of my route with Anne and texted her as I passed the checkpoints. I had an emergency plan and escape routes.

I parked the car at Wedder Leap (240m), at what used to be the old school and crossed the footbridge east over the River Coquet. 




Turning north I walked along the footpath passing Barrowburn and their camping barns. 




The footpath joins a track heading north east. 




At the edge of a small wood I turned right, south, and started the climb up a path towards Shillhope Law. Although sunny there was a cool breeze that made it pleasant walking. Crossing the fence at the gate I continued southerly climbing up by another fence until I reached the Shillhope Law trig point (501m). I was hot and sweaty by the time I reached the trig point. To be honest I was like this all day.




On my route card Shillhope Law was checkpoint 1. The views were stunning but I did not have time to enjoy them.




Continuing in a south, south easterly direction I headed down hill to join the fence line and followed it down across Inner Hill. 






Down to Shillmoor (200m), checkpoint 2 on my route card.




Moving easterly after leaving the farm area I followed the footpath across the footbridge over the Usway Burn.




This was where I encountered the thing that would hold me up the most, although not too bad here, ferns and bracken. As I said here they were tall but did not hamper the path so much and did not delay me any. I followed the path along the south side of The Knocks along Pass Peth as it crossed Passpeth Sike. 




Then a short steep climb into open country as the Pass Peth's path gently dropped down beside a wall running east.






The path crosses Pottstle Sike and continue east down towards the road. I stayed on the level and continued along a grass track to keep off the road as long as I could and joined the road another 500m further up. 






The road drops a little as it arrives into Alwinton (155m).




At the top of the road where it turns right there is a patch of green, possibly a place for an admin site, if the route could be used. I continued east over the grass towards the footbridge that took me onto Clennell Street and turned north. 




This is a proper track/road and is a gentle climb away north from Alwinton.




At the top of the rise, approx 600m from the bridge I crossed the style on my right and took the footpath heading east over a couple of fields.  




Dropping down I crossed the bridge over the River Alwin at Clennell (150m). My checkpoint 3. I was making good time overall over 4km an hour. I was estimating where I would be when it got dark as there were parts of my route I wanted to be passed before it got too dark to see where I was going. 




Moving north I followed the forest track that travels near the River Alwin to the Kidland Forest. 





At Kidland Forest the trees have been harvested and the area has changed since I last walked here a few months ago. Then it was an area where they collected the harvested trees in massive log piles. Today the log piles had gone and the area had been cleaned up and a lot of trees replanted.

Passing The Dodd and Kitty's Crag on my right I crossed the River Alwin, turned right, east and took the path over a style under the trees up by Allerhope Burn. It starts pleasant along here gradually the climb starts getting steeper. 




Today flies where the problem, a couple of walkers I had passed along the forest track had came up this way earlier in the day and had warned me of the pests. I though with the breeze and the time of day the flies would have gone but no. They still gathered in areas where there was no wind just to pester me. 



The grass track turns into a footpath as it crosses a fence at a style and continues to climb. A few ferns tried to hold me back but where not so bad, on reflection. At the top of the climb, after crossing back over the fence I could see the cairn.




Reaching Wether Cairn (563m), my checkpoint 4, I had another short break and enjoyed the views. Overall my travelling time was showing I was still walking over 4km an hour.




From Wether Cairn I continued north and north westerly by the fence. The ground was very wet and boggy and held me up a little as I climbed and dropped across the area. 




Eventually dropping to start the steep climb up to Cushat Law (615m).  




No stopping here after a couple of photos I turned north looking for a track that would take me east along the ridge to Bush Knowe, keeping me north of Smalehope Burn.  




I found a track that took me down over Bush Knowe and took me to where the fence crosses Salter's Road (Track).

Crossing the track and walking up the fence line towards Shill Moor, was where I had my first battle with the waist/chest high ferns. Last time I walked here there was a path down near the fence line from Shill Moor. Today it was hard breaking a path through the ferns, this slowed me up a little. Eventually the way cleared and I was able to find a path by the fence that led me up to Shill Moor trig point (528m).  




After a couple of photos I headed back along the fence line a little to take a route east along the ridge that drops down through a couple of gates to join the footpath towards Alnhammoor.




Just before Alnhammoor the footpath drops and crosses Rowhope Burn, so I took the opportunity to fill my water bottles.

Alnhammoor (210m) was my checkpoint 5.  




Continuing down the path, to the south of Alnhammoor I took the bridge over the River Breamish, and walked east across open flat meadow land. 




The footpath after crossing Cobden Burn enters a wood at the north west corner and starts to climb. 




After 150m the path leaves the wood and continues to climb the side of the hill still heading east.  




Going through a broken gate the path levels off as it crests the rise at an ancient settlement (280m) and drops down south east to Chesters which looks like an old farm which now belongs to a Scout group. Scouts were using it this week.  




Walking behind Chesters I continued east along the footpath through the gate that drops down to a wood that grows beside Chesters Burn. 




Through the deer fence gate the ferns were over head height in places and I had to take care walking over unseen tree roots and loose stones as the path sometimes suddenly dropped under the covering of ferns.  




Reaching the bottom I crossed Chesters Burn (210m) and climbed the path under the trees to leave the wood. As I reached the Burn I startled a heron as I crashed out the ferns, unfortunately I was unable to get a picture.

Leaving the wood behind I moved east up the slope and was soon in among some very deep ferns again. The path was covered in places and I had to push my way through, again I could not see underfoot and stumbled a few times. To the north I saw buzzards flying and could hear their screech.




Leaving the ferns behind I was walking across open moorland towards an ancient fort and settlement I had walked this way many times before.




At the fence I turned left, north onto another path way and walked up the rise and followed the path north to Brough Law (280m). I have always liked Brough Law fort and the view it commands. It always feels like coming home. 




Turning right, east, I headed down hill to take the path on the ridge looking over the River Breamish, Bulby Wood and the parking area.




It did not take long to walk down to Bulby Woods (130m) my checkpoint 6, with its new toilets and information room. This place would be a good place for another admin area. The only thing is that there is no drinking water tap available. 




Another quick estimation showed I was going to be right in the area I did not want to be when it got dark.

I walked along the road west from Bulby Woods. Following it as it moves north of the bottom of Brough Law and crosses the River Breamish. Continuing west as it turns around the south edge of the bottom of Knock Hill.




Just passed Knock Burn there is a track up towards a sheepfold, which was shown on my route card. Today as I could not see the track due to the ferns I dropped back to the east of Knock Burn and walked up a very narrow foot path through the ferns, heading north. I knew this path as I had walked it a number of times. However I had never seen it as overgrown as it was today. 

The path meandered by the stream for a few hundred meters then joins a fence heading north. The ferns were getting taller as I moved north. At a fence junction I crossed and continued north. Today after a few more meters the path went no further. I tried pushing a path through but was held up by nettles, ferns and thick thistle type plants. So I crossed the fence on my left as the going looked easier. Although the ferns were not as high the thick grass and sharp thistle type plants did not make it easy. I crossed the stream and could find no way through the ferns. Climbing up a ridge on the left of the stream, fighting for every step as I pushed my way through ferns that were over head high. I was stumbling and tripping through the ferns, my going was very slow. I eventually came across the gate in the fence and found an easier path going north. I had used a lot of time and energy in crossing the last km.   




Once through the ferns the path opened a little. On the ridge to my front I could see another sheepfold which was on the path I intended to take. Moving across to the sheepfold was not easy as the long grass made for uncomfortable walking.




From the sheepfold I moved east to the track and fence junction on my route. Where I was met with the curiosity of cows as I rubbed my feet and took a small break. I rang home and spoke to Anne, she knew where I was and my intentions. It was getting dark and this was where I did not want to be when it got dark.




I moved along the track north east, I had wanted to find the footpath north but in the dark and worry of more deep ferns I was on a main track. This brought me east of The Dod, onto a road I have walked before. Turning west I headed towards The Dod (260m) my check point 7. 

Walking further west along the road, I crossed the ford by footbridge and found the footpath north west up towards Steel Crag.




I decided to set up my small camp by Threestoneburn Wood and get some warm food, drink and a few hours sleep. I had brought my camping equipment with me as a precaution. Anne was aware of my plans, so everything was ok, everything was safe.

I had been on the trail over 12 hours, covered 43 km with 1710m climb. Although challenging it had been good.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Northumberland or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

No comments:

Post a Comment