Friday 13 May 2016

Harthope Burn to The Cheviot via Mountain Refuge Hut - Northumberland 12 May 2016

Harthope Burn to The Cheviot via Mountain Refuge Hut and Return
Northumberland
Distance 21.5km Climb 1040m
Thursday 12 May 2016


I parked along Harthope Burn about 1 km east of the building at Langleeford.  I walked east back along the road to where the footpath starts up Cold Law (210m). 



The path was narrow and steep by the side of a stream. It was very warm as I climbed, the forecast was that it would be a good day. Although steep it was a nice climb up to the Cold Law trig point (452m). Where I had a cup of tea, checked my map to see which way I would go next. I could see The Cheviot was covered in mist.  


It was too warm to walk in long trousers so I changed into my shorts. I walked down hill south west onto a path next to a fence line and I could see my path up Broadhope Hill.


The fence line drops to a path junction (377m) then started climbing west again up towards Broadhope Hill. I crossed the fence and continued west up to the top which had stunning views west.


I continued down hill west and turned south down to the edge of the wood, it was along here I disturbed a large roe deer. It was so graceful as it ran through the harvested wood. If it had stood still I would not have seen it, it was only the movement that attracted my eye.


I followed the fence line down to the bottom of the wood. The map shows a footpath through the bottom of the wood however it looked easier going walking along outside the south edge of the wood. Although there was a little up and down in places. It was a lovely little sun trap in the valley and I had to take off my thin fleece.


Leaving the wood behind me I was now following west along a grass footpath. Looking down the valley the views were beautiful. The grass path drops near a small stream then crosses a fence that leads to Goldscleugh. It was a few months ago when I last walked through here from The Cheviot to Hethpool


From Goldscleugh towards Dunsdale the path is a tarmac road. After approx 300m frm the end of the harvested wood the road turns slightly to my right I took the footpath direct west to Dunsdale.


The weather was a lot warmer and better than the last time I walked here. Today I could see up Bizzle Crags and I could see there was still a small patch of snow up there.


I walked through Dunsdale (260m) and joined the footpath that climbs up the south side of the wood to the west of Dunsdale. The path follows a fence line south west up to a height of 350m with good views of The Schil.


After crossing an open boggy area the footpath joins the wood again. Parts of the wood had been harvested. I followed along the fence line south west. In the distance I could see my way ahead up by Red Cribs.


After crossing a clearing and a high style the path moved down hill to a narrow stream and a footbridge which leads to a path that rises up from the stream bank to a grass path running south (270m).

It was along this path I saw another roe deer but this one just calmly walked into the trees and out of sight before I could get my camera out.


I could see to my south the path climbing up by Red Cribs.


It had been warm, very warm and sheltered walking down the College Valley. This changed as I reached the top of Red Cribs I could feel the full force of the strong wind blowing across the tops. I turned east towards the Auchope Mountain Refuge Hut (498m).

At the Refuge Hut I had a short rest and a spot of lunch with two lads who were walking the Pennine Way. I had stopped here over night on My Pennine Way.  They had taken it piece by piece over a few years and today they would finish, well done.  We sat in the sun sheltering from the wind. After some tea and a sandwich it was soon time for me to set off again.


Looking into the Hen Hole I could see a number of small waterfalls, a very impressive view.


 I took my time climbing up the very steep side to Auchope Cairn (720m) moving east.


At the top after a slight drop the large stone path starts and I started climbing again.


On my way I passed this little chap sitting in the sun. I also saw a number of walkers moving from The Pennine Way up towards The Cheviot.


As the path continues to climb I passed Cairn Hill and I could see the mist sitting on the top of The Cheviot.



The mist was rolling across the countryside, when I reached the trig point (815m). After a few photos I continued north east along the stone path.



I crossed the fence and headed down hill, the countryside opened up below me and I could see the path drop and rise up Scald Hill. I could also see a lot of the route I had taken earlier in the day, up Cold Law and across to Broadhope Hill.


The path drops down before climbing up again to the top of Scald Hill (549m).



Leaving Scald Hill I walked down the fence line then followed the footpath east down to Langleeford.



At the bottom I turned left at the road and walked the 600m back to my car. Beautiful weather beautiful day walking. I had covered 21.5km with 1040m climb.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Northumberland or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow links to other walks up The Cheviot.
The Cheviot from Langleeford 8 Oct 2015
The Cheviot from Langleeford 1 April 2010 Look at the snow.



No comments:

Post a Comment