Friday 22 April 2016

Bremish Valley to Dod Hill via Reaveley Hill and Heddon Hill - Northumberland 21 April 2016

Bremish Valley to Dod Hill via Reaveley Hill, Heddon Hill and Return
Northumberland
Distance 16km Climb 570m
Thursday 21 April 2016


It was a beautiful day and I was looking forward to my walk. I parked the car just over the bridge (140m) Grid NT 996 166 and walked along a path east on the north side of the River Bremish. This turned into more of an animal track and was slippery in places.


It was very warm as I was followed the stream up the re-entrant heading north east.


At the top I was near what we used to call the cafe, on Reaveley Hill. When my children were young this was where I said there was a cafe, just to get them up the hill. It is an old farm building, but when we got there I would pull out the sandwiches and a bottle of pop from my bag. Simple things but I don't think the children were impressed. Anyway a lot of water has flowed down Shivers Cleugh since then.


As the ground levelled of I turned west. Walking across the open fell I heard a buzzing sound to my right and an old propeller plane flew overhead, north to south. It looked good and was too fast for me to get a photo. A number of bees were in the area and sounded like the plane. I soon reached the Reaveley Hill trig point (301m). Stunning views. I could see that a large part of Threestoneburn Wood had been harvested, since I was last here and work was continuing today.


After a cup of tea and a biscuit, I set off again north. My route took me down hill and through a gate. I was crossing rough open countryside, I could not fault the views. At the next fence I turned left onto a grass footpath down to the corner of the field.


Turning north I followed the fence line next to a stream. At the north end of the field I passed through a gate and joined another footpath that headed north east. The footpath crossed another small enclosure but I could see most people had walked around, as there were a few sheep with lambs lying down enjoying the warmth of the sun, I walked around the enclosure.


Passing the fence the ground dropped steeply down to a stream, although the ground was soggy it was not to bad as it would have been had it been raining. Up the bank on the other side I joined another track which crossed a road then I went through a gate up to Heddon Hill . A sign on the gate shows where they would like you to walk. On Heddon Hill (277m) I sat and had another cup of tea and ate my sandwiches enjoying the views. There was a little cloud forming on The Cheviot.


I returned back to the gate at the bottom of Heddon Hill following the route I had taken up as shown on the sign. I turned west and walked the path towards The Dod. Passing a few sheep pens with a number of sheep and lambs, it made me feel really happy. I had never walked north passed the cafe, in this area before and was enjoying it. At the footpath sign I turned right, north.


I crossed over the rise, crossed the fence and dropped down to the footbridge over the stream.



Over the stream I turned right and follow the stream before turning left and starting the climb up Dod Hill. I found it very steep. At the top the views were brilliant, fantastic. I was really enjoyed it and took loads of photos.





From Dod Hill I dropped down west over some rough ground, crossed a track that was being used to move the wood from Threestoneburn Wood. Over a style and the track I followed a grass path up to Middleton Crags (404m)





Here I found another beautiful spot. Time was now passing and I should start thinking about heading back. So I dropped downhill to Steel Crag.



I decided to follow the wood line south. It was nice and cool in the shade of the trees.


The walking was easy as it first dropped down. Then as I passed the edge of the harvested area the way was not so easy and the ground was very rough as it dropped down to a stream. The route did not become any easier as it started climbing again. Work was going on in the wood so I moved south east away from the fence line. I followed a track which soon disappeared and I was soon walking across very rough heather ground with bog and many holes. In part no worse than some of the rough ground I had already crossed. Not to worry I soon reached the fence junction at the bottom of Cunyan Crags. From there it was easy walking down, south, near the Knock Burn.


Where I joined the road and turned left and followed it back to my car.


Great Day, brilliant so good. 16km walking with 570m climb.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Northumberland or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

No comments:

Post a Comment