Tuesday 22 March 2016

Shillmoor to Hazely Law via Shillhope Law - Northumberland 21 March 2016

Shillmoor to Hazely Law via Shillhope Law and Return
Northumberland
Distance 17km Climb 820m
Monday 21 March 2016


This was another walk I saw on The Cheviot Hills walkabout website, from Geoff Holland. I have attached a link to his site, this one is titled High Above Coquet. 

I parked my car on the hard standing across the stream to Shillmoor (200m).


Walked west along the road and turned right, east, after crossing the bridge. Passed in front of the farm house and turned left, north, up the track walking up hill. I then followed a dirt grass path that followed the wall climbing north west towards Shillhope Law. It had been a number of years since I last walked up here. Too many to stop and think about.


The path continues to climb and the wall is replaced by a fence, after a short while I crossed a gate and continued climbing north, north west. As I reached Inner Hill I decided to take the path up and over rather than round to the right. The air was full of the sounds of singing Meadow Pipits, lovely.

Looking north from Inner Hill 436m
 After a slight drop of Inner Hill I was climbing again, northerly, by the fence. At the top there is a gate which I crossed to walk west up to the Shillhope Law trig point 501m.

Shillhope Law 501m 
 I took a few minutes orientating myself and getting my breath back. Then following Geoff Holland's instruction returned to the fence and headed north to a fence junction and gate.


Where I followed the path across open country to where it joins the track from Barrowburn.


I turned right and headed north east on the track. Geoff Holland's instruction does not come as far down as the path. The track starts to climb as I caught a flash of yellow, by the time I got my camera ready it had gone. Checking later I think it was a Grey Wagtail, it certainly moved like a wagtail, beautiful.

Looking south towards Barrowburn.

The track dropped slightly to a gate into the wood. I could hear birds singing as I approached.


In the wood I could hear movement across to my right in the trees, as I took the track to the left. Further on I passed an area of mud which had a number of animal tracks. I held my camera ready to take a picture of anything that moved, it has been awhile since I was last out in the fresh air on such a nice day and I did not want to miss a thing. Unfortunately I did not see anything, but felt a million eyes on me?

The track turns back onto the other path where I turned left and moved towards the gate leaving Middle Hill. Through the trees I could see The Middle which was where I was heading next.


On The Middle (399m), you can take a path to the right or as I did go up and over the top. From the top I could see my path north up Hazely Law and looking south east I could see my path back along Clennell Street which would be my return.


I continued north and crossed the gravel track that leads to Uswwayford.


Then I had the climb up Hazely Law (499m). At the top the views where stunning. I was sure I could see Great Staindrop and Hedgehope to the north east.


Shillhope Law to the south. After a look around I found a little dip on the leeward side of the hill which gave me a little shelter from the wind, where I had a quick break and snack.


Returning to the bottom of Hazely Law I took the footpath south onto Clennell Street. This crosses a fence before dropping down to a footbridge. Passed the waterfall shown on the map, this looks a good place to bring the bairns.


Then a short climb up to the woods. It had been nice all day but now I was starting to get a little too warm. In Geoff Holland's description he talks about the forest. However today much of the wood is being harvested and in places you can see where it has been replanted. 





I continued south east along Clennell Street passed a lorry loading up with wood.


At the second footpath sign on the right, on the east side of Saughy Hill, I turned south west. This took me over a fence to an area still very wet, but was no problem to cross. Over another style and towards another hill.


Then I was on the path south towards Copper Snout and Saugh Rigg.


The area was full of Meadow Pipits. Looking west I could see the massive bowl on the east side of Inner Hill next to Shillhope Law.


I followed the path round as it turned north west to Shillmoor and back to the car.





It had been a brilliant walk and I am pleased I have found Geoff Holland's website. Looking forward to doing a few more of his walks.

Today I had covered 17 km with approx 820m climb.

More to follow 


Boz North 
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Northumberland or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to another walk from Shillmoor - 14 Oct 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment