Tuesday 14 July 2015

ECP - South Shields to Roker Pier - Tyne and Wear 13 July 2015.

English Coastal Path
South Shields to Roker Pier and return
Tyne and Wear
Distance 30km
Monday 13 July 2015


It had been some time since I last did this walk, today I would start on the Lawe Top at the Arbeia Roman Fort. I put my waterproof on as it started raining. I headed north to the road that I could follow round east towards the two old beacons.  


Across the river I saw HMS Tyne that was here to support the Mouth of the Tyne festival last weekend.



Passed the old Pilot’s house and walked down through the North Marine Park. This took me near to the Little Haven Hotel.


I passed the figures and took the path to the beach, the sand was wet from the rain and I could see the path I was making. Someone had pitched a small tent, and used wine bottles as pegs.  Probably still sleeping it off. 


Once on the beach I turned left, north again towards the Groyne. 


After taking a few pictures, I returned to the sand and followed the low tide water line of the Little Haven beach south towards the pier.  This area had changed such a lot since I was last here.  There was now a new promenade.


On reaching the start of the pier I turned left off the sand and headed east along the pier. The tide was out and many of the rocks were exposed. There were only a couple of people fishing but they appeared not to be having much luck, while the black headed gulls and cormorants were constantly diving for fish. I presume they were having more luck than the fishermen.


I found the weather at the end of the pier, fairer than at the start, so I took a few photos and turned round and returned to the beach. No sign of the seal today.


In May Anne and I visited Chatsworth House and in one of the rooms it has a number of oil painted panels of Tynemouth Castle and Priory.


At the turn I turned left and headed south along the cleared path, the last time I was here the sand had been blown high across this walkway.  This took me to the covered promenade which I continued by south.  Some sort of sand cleaning, litter picker vehicle was being used and the sand did look lovely.  I passed a number of RNLI stations which had not been there before, all ready for the holiday visitors when the weather turns nice.  Not today though, although showery it was still warm. 




On my way passed Trow Rocks I walked up to see the gun. I thought the gun emplacement was from the war, but the notice shows guns had been positioned here since the end of the 19th century. Trow Rocks is a Site of Special Scientific Interest. As I moved south from Trow Rocks a man stopped me and asked about an owl that was now living on the cliff face in the area.  Unfortunately I did not know anything about it so could not help him.  


I continued south on the path along the coast line beside the Leas. The path twists and turns, following very close to the cliff.  


I took the path down to the beach that leads along to Marsden Grotto. I could see the tide was starting to come in.  I could also see the effect of erosion on the coast as I noticed holes and gaps in the rocks that I had not noticed on my last walk along here.




I took the steep stairs up by the Grotto back to the cliff path and continued heading south towards Souter lighthouse. 


North of Souter lighthouse there is still the markings of a carpark, which is now closed due to the erosion of the cliffs below.  Another sign also shows in this area a community used to live and work here but were moved out due to the erosion threatening the area. 




I continued south along the path towards Whitburn and the now disused rifle range. 


Continuing south I passed Whitburn cottages and walked along the promenade. I could see the tide was coming in on Roker beach so rather than take to the sand I took the cat and dog steps up to the high path and walked passed St Bede’s Cross. 



I took the path down to join another promenade that took me to the start of the Sunderland pier. Along here I passed people eating fish and chips and the chips smelt so good.  I had a short break with my salad before walking along the renovated pier.





After a few photos I retraced my steps most of the way back to South Shields. Occasionally I had my coat off then on due to the showers. I did not go down to Marsden Grotto as the tide was in and I would not be able to move along the beach. 




After a look at the new promenade I took the steps up to the Lawe Top and my car.





I had had a really good day and learnt a few things about the area that I had not previously known, in all I had walked over 30 km, and was looking forward to my tea.

More to follow  


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done on The English Coastal Path or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to another walk from South Shields to Roker Pier 23 December 2016
Follow link to another walk from South Shields to Roker Pier 16 March 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment