Sunday, 12 May 2013

Scottish Garelochhead 2 Day Marches - Day 2 5 May 2013.

Scottish Garelochhead 2 Day Marches - Day 2
Distance 33.5km Climb 542m
Sunday 5th May 2013

I have set up Facebook and Twitter accounts if you would like updates on my walks.

We all lined up as we had the day before, ready to face day 2 of the Scottish Garelochhead 2 Day March. The band started and we marched out the camp gates again to a salute.

We marched out the camp gates and crossed over on to the main road we turned left again and headed up the hill, the police motor cyclists were there as they were the day before.  We marched up the hill passed the roundabout and down the bank to the next roundabout.  Today instead of turning right we marched straight over this roundabout and headed West, the road soon turned South.  Again the route was a little up and down before starting to go up.  Groups started passing each other as they had the day before.

On the route up when the views cleared they were good.  Some groups were still singing and the atmosphere overall was a little jolly as this would be the last day.  When we started the weather was dry but a little cloudy.  It did not take us long to get to the first rest stop, we turned right up the road where the stop was.  Again it was cold so after a quick stop we formed up again and marched off.

Walking straight across the junction we followed the route that very soon started to drop down very quickly.  This was the hill we had been told was called Bastard Hill, not because of the route down but as this would also be the route back we could see why.  Anyway we had a few miles to cover before we would be walking back up the hill.  Again the views were stunning, we were again looking at another part of Loch Long.

Near the bottom of the hill we turned left and walked along the top track towards Cove.

Along the track the weather changed and we could see the mist coming along the loch.

4km later and we arrived at Cove for lunch.  Again the band were playing us in.  Lunch was in a large hall, very civilised sitting on a proper chair and eating at a table.

When we left Cove and walked in a Northerly direction by the loch side the weather changed.  The view was closing in due to the mist and it soon started raining.  Another 4km North then we turned right and started up the Bastard Hill, up, up and up up again we marched.  2km later we were still climbing up the Bastard Hill but very close to the third rest stop, which was the same as the first due to the route.  Everyone we saw at the rest stop was in high spirits the Bastard Hill had been conquered, this was the last stop, next stop was the finish.

Again we did not stop for very long before we formed up again and set off.  This time we picked up the pace a little and passed quite a few groups.  We reached the roundabout at the bottom of the hill, and were flying, just a short climb and we were at the roundabout less than a km from the camp.  We could hear the band as we approached the gates.  Not only the band played us in but we were met by cheering and clapping from other groups who were still near the entrance.

On day 2 we had covered 22 miles (33.5km) in 7hrs 19mins.  Another good day walking, and qualification for The Nijmegan March 2013.

More to follow
Boz North
Follow link to the previous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment