Monday 8 October 2012

Fairfield Horseshoe - Ambleside - Cumbria 7 October 2012.

Fairfield Horseshoe 
Ambleside
Cumbria
Distance 15km Climb 800m
Sunday 7th October 2012


While looking at this route, it somehow looked familiar but I could not see why.  Since I posted this post, I have found the route in an old copy of Trail, dated Sept 2010.  In Trail it refers to this walk as the Fairfield Horseshoe.

Next week I am due to help lead a group on this walk, so I thought I would take the opportunity today to go out and check the route.  I had planned to come along and do it last weekend, but unfortunately things came up so we could not come across.  We had planned to stay the weekend but it ended up driving across and doing the walk in a day and then returning home.

When looking for a place to park the car we would not pay the prices of the local car parks, but found that the Ambleside Cricket Club, 50m, was open and had a notice you could park there and put a donation in their box.  So this was what we did.



Following the A591 from Ambleside we turned up towards the Rydal Mount.





Close to Nab Scar

Walking up the path we took the second footpath to the left towards Nab Scar.  On the 1:50,000 map the path is shown as straight, but in reality it twists and turns up the hill.  The weather was clear and the views stunning, and I could see the route we were going to take.  I took some good photos but a few months ago I got a scratch on the lens of my camera, which has caused a smudge on my photos.  Which is a shame.

Heron Pike 612m
From the top of Nab Scar we took the path North over Heron Pike 612m.

Rydal Fell 615m
Then Rydal Fell 615m.


Great Rigg 766m
 North again to Great Rigg 766m.

Anne walking North towards Fairfield
Anne walking East away from Fairfield
Approx 1300 meters further North, we turned right East, height approx 850m.

Anne moving over the ridge at Rydal Head
Looking Westerly towards Heron Pike and Rydal Fell
Moved towards Hart Crag.

Looking North after moving over Hart Crag
Looking South at Dove Crag
Dove Crag then turning South.


High Pike to Low Pike
Looking North up High Pike
 Over High Pike 656m, South again to Low Pike.


Onto a path that took us to the Nook End Farm.  We turned West at the first opportunity and headed through the houses back to the A591.  Then North West back to the Ambleside Cricket Club.

We had walked about 15km, climb approx 800m, on such as lovely day.

More to follow


Boz North
Details correct at time of walking.
If you have enjoyed reading my walk or found it useful you may also like to read other walks I have done in Cumbria or other areas. Please check out the links on the right hand side.

Follow link to another walk around Fairfield Horseshoe - 13 Oct 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment